Electronic glitches or malfunctions
Misalignment of convertible top frame parts
Misalignment of rear windows to top and front windows to top and A-pillar
Excessive cowl shake due to accrued miles
Leaking hydraulics
Excessive wind noise or water leaks due to top alignment issues
Replacement of rear window due to shit in trunk that busted it

Other:
Theft (easier to rip a top and gain access to your stuff inside car)
Top maintenance for those that don't have storage or garages

AND lastly.... the need to replace the entire top due to eventual wear/tear.

Yea, been there done that with a prior BMW convertible that was a daily driver - never a convertible again, unless it's a classic that will just be used for shows... And even then, doubtful to ever be a vert owner again...

In no way putting down a vert or vert owners, as there's pros and cons to everything in life, but just outlining the higher costs associated with ANY convertible over ANY hardtop.
Sponsored

Rich of So Cal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Prem/auto - triple yellow convert
If you live in SoCal you are required by law to take your vert to the beach periodically. :cool:

MarkH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT PP Vert
Starting with 2016 the top is electric, no hydraulics and takes less trunk space, the 401A package has the improved security system. Sticker price on the vert with options does into GT350 base pricing

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2016 California Special Convertible
Wait a few years when warranties are expired and there's issues with:
Top hydraulic malfunctions
Electronic glitches or malfunctions
Misalignment of convertible top frame parts
Misalignment of rear windows to top and front windows to top and A-pillar
Excessive cowl shake due to accrued miles
Leaking hydraulics
Excessive wind noise or water leaks due to top alignment issues
Replacement of rear window due to shit in trunk that busted it

Other:
Theft (easier to rip a top and gain access to your stuff inside car)
Top maintenance for those that don't have storage or garages

AND lastly.... the need to replace the entire top due to eventual wear/tear.

Yea, been there done that with a prior BMW convertible that was a daily driver - never a convertible again, unless it's a classic that will just be used for shows... And even then, doubtful to ever be a vert owner again...

In no way putting down a vert or vert owners, as there's pros and cons to everything in life, but just outlining the higher costs associated with ANY convertible over ANY hardtop.
Had my S197 Vert for 4 years, she is now 9 years old, been all over Europe in her, never has one issue, no leaks, or anything, and you cant beat topless driving (oh arr Misses) even in the UK.
The problem is that it is around 4k extra, and when you buy a 2nd hand Vert the price is nearly the same as a fastback.
The Lines on the S550 are different to the fastback, if you watch "A Faster Pony" they show you, how the Vert was built to look different, also I like the look with the roof up.

Sponsored

ATLalien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT PP
I live in NH, so the top-down season is short. I get a kick out of the folks who have them and then have the top up in the summer because it is "too hot". WTF?
It can be too hot for a convertible, probably my #3 reason for not owning one. I'm in GA, and down here, the sun will bake the top of your head from April to September in a conv. Then it's too cold from November-Feb, followed by "pollen snow" March-May. Leaves really on a couple months max, where it'd be any fun. Some like the heat, I see plenty of open tops all summer long, but not me.

Top two reasons are Price & weight, mentioned by everyone else.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Verts are great, but just not for everyone.

My '07 GT500 was a vert, my first and probably last, and convinced me that I'm really not a vert guy. Most of the problem is where I live, often in the summer it's too unbearable between heat and humidity to really enjoy top-down motoring. Sort of defeats the purpose if the top is up and the AC is on half the time.....

MrBoogie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
Here in the midwest you can only enjoy it for a few months a year, and in the winter they are PAINFUL. As a DD - no vert, as a fun car maybe.
Ditto.

Same reason I no longer own a motorcycle or a boat. It's too much expense for something that sits in the garage 300 days per year.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
To me convertibles are like motorcycles. They are awesome in May and October. The rest of the year their just less attractive Mustangs!

MarkH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT PP Vert
It can be too hot for a convertible, probably my #3 reason for not owning one. I'm in GA, and down here, the sun will bake the top of your head from April to September in a conv. Then it's too cold from November-Feb, followed by "pollen snow" March-May. Leaves really on a couple months max, where it'd be any fun. Some like the heat, I see plenty of open tops all summer long, but not me.

Top two reasons are Price & weight, mentioned by everyone else.
Damn, I am in SW FL and was just out cruising with the top down. Doesn't get too hot here until July. The air conditioned seats do help extend the top down weather.

Sponsored

Dawg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT convertible
I'm on my third convertible Mustang, had an 04 and 13 before the 15. The best of the lot was the old two valve 04. Sweetest sounding engine and with the top down it was mesmerizing. Also had the best sounding stereo out of the bunch.
The new S550 vert has a weak sound system. I thought the system with the sub in the trunk would sound best....nope. Also the windshield on the new ones has a bit more rake compared to the older ones and hence more cockpit buffeting.
If you like road trips, there's nothing better than travelling around the country in a vert. I like mine, but it's on the chopping block. I just passed the 1000 mile mark yesterday, but it's getting traded on a new GT350 due in any day.

OP
OP
WindveilNJ

WindveilNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT premium convertible
The lines of the S550 convertible just do not have the visual impact of sleek, badass look of the fastback.
However, I think the S197 'vert looks better than the the S197 fastback.
For the S550, initial price/options/out he door price may have something to do with the take rate.
The MSRP for my '08 GT convertible was $37,440.
I had an S197 vert in, shocking given my user name, wind veil blue. I agree that with the top up it looked better than the current vert. And I loved the retro look. I had a '68 coupe at the time and the styles had a lot of overlap. And I also agree with one of the other posts, they got the fastback right this time.

But I wanted an update and I like the features, new rear suspension, etc. and the new vert looks great top down.

timsstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium 'vert
Damn, I am in SW FL and was just out cruising with the top down. Doesn't get too hot here until July. The air conditioned seats do help extend the top down weather.
:amen:

OP
OP
WindveilNJ

WindveilNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT premium convertible
Price. A convertible is about 5k more expensive.
And to be honest, I personally think I don't look good enough to pull off a convertible. Unless I have money to buy expensive ones like Porsches and Ferraries.
I don't think it's the cost as most of the verts purchased seem to be GT Premiums

As for not looking good enough - as long as those around me keep their eyes on the road, they should be fine.:D

bay584

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP
To me convertibles are like motorcycles. They are awesome in May and October. The rest of the year their just less attractive Mustangs!
Well maybe you just picked the wrong motorcycle to look at in the off season. ;)
Sponsored