Sponsored

Why no automatic in 2019 GT350?

SCOTT007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chrysler 300S
Why there is no automatic transmission with 2019 GT350? This is surprising considering that Ford was able to put automatic transmission with paddle shifters in a more powerful GT500. I don't understand why both GT350 and GT500 don't have automatic and manual option: manual for the smaller crowd of enthusiasts and automatic for the larger crowd. Considering that automatic outsells manual 9 to 1 this would be also wiser decision leading to more sales. I personally like more sound of a flat-plane crankshaft engine and look of GT350 is aggressive enough for me and beautiful at the same time. I wish GT350 has automatic as an option.
Sponsored

Shelby Daniels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
18' GT350R + 15' Range Rover SC
Why there is no automatic transmission with 2019 GT350? This is surprising considering that Ford was able to put automatic transmission with paddle shifters in a more powerful GT500. I don't understand why both GT350 and GT500 don't have automatic and manual option: manual for the smaller crowd of enthusiasts and automatic for the larger crowd. Considering that automatic outsells manual 9 to 1 this would be also wiser decision leading to more sales. I personally like more sound of a flat-plane crankshaft engine and look of GT350 is aggressive enough for me and beautiful at the same time. I wish GT350 has automatic as an option.
Ford Performance didn't launch the GT500 with a DCT for the drivers convenience or to appeal to a 'larger crowd' - They launched the GT500 with a DCT because it performs better and it can take the power.

Why not put it in the 350 then? It wouldn't make sense from a cost perspective and it undermines what the platform is all about. The 500 is about bragging rights, the 350 is about having fun.

REDLINE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Z51 Stingray
Plus, Ford has no issues selling all the GT350 they produce. The very smalll numbers produced probably doesn’t justify 2 drivetrain options.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
You would have to ask Ford. Anything I say would be speculation as I was not privy to the decision.

Having said that, I love to speculate. And I'm arrogant enough to believe I know the reason. Manual transmissions are meant for driving enjoyment - especially on the road course. The GT350 was built to be a road course focused car, so it was only logical it should get a manual.

An automatic would ruin the car. The 9 to 1 ratio you are talking about is for crappy cars that are meant to commute in and will never see any track time. Or for cars that sit in garages and go to Cars & Coffee. I'm fine with an automatic in my pickup, but don't put it in a sporty car.

I believe Ford probably put the DCT in the GT500 in order to "make the number". I'm sure the car will be very fast. I think the GT350 was more about fun than about absolute best possible speed. And I think Ford hit the bulls eye with it.

Sponsored

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
An automatic would ruin the car. The 9 to 1 ratio you are talking about is for crappy cars that are meant to commute in and will never see any track time.
While I 100% agree with the first sentence for me personally, the second sentence is not something that Formula 1 would agree with. The dual clutch tranny with the ability to change gears so quickly is exactly why F1 does not use an manual on the track... of course they are worried about tenths of seconds for lap times while on the track.
My wife's Cayman has the PDK (her choice, not mine). The 0-60 is a little quicker than the manual; the lap times would be a little quicker... provided that the Stig was behind the wheel.
If Ford offered me the 2020 GT500 for the same price as my 2019 GT350 (on order) I would NOT take them up on the offer because I feel the manual is a needed part of the driving experience. I'm happy to give up the extra 0-60 and lap time ability in order to manually shift through the gears especially with this exhaust system.
That is also why I did not order a new Ferrari, Lamborghini, 911 GT2 RS or a Koenigsegg... they only come in automatics. No wait... it was the price tag on those choices!

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
I know its splitting hairs but, the DCT(sp) is not an automatic.

If it can shift gears on its own it's an automatic, specialized as it may be.

raiderjatt02

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jessie
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Track Pack; 1995 GT - Saleen Clone
I know its splitting hairs but, the DTC is not an automatic.
If it shifts automatically, it's an automatic.

Some people say it's only an automatic if it has a torque converter. That's old school thinking. Does the GT500 shift by itself? Yup....automatic.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Some people say it's only an automatic if it has a torque converter.

There are autos on the market right now with wet clutches instead of torque converters as well, including Mercedes AMG. They are identical in every other way to their standard autos.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
While I 100% agree with the first sentence for me personally, the second sentence is not something that Formula 1 would agree with. The dual clutch tranny with the ability to change gears so quickly is exactly why F1 does not use an manual on the track... of course they are worried about tenths of seconds for lap times while on the track.
My wife's Cayman has the PDK (her choice, not mine). The 0-60 is a little quicker than the manual; the lap times would be a little quicker... provided that the Stig was behind the wheel.
If Ford offered me the 2020 GT500 for the same price as my 2019 GT350 (on order) I would NOT take them up on the offer because I feel the manual is a needed part of the driving experience. I'm happy to give up the extra 0-60 and lap time ability in order to manually shift through the gears especially with this exhaust system.
That is also why I did not order a new Ferrari, Lamborghini, 911 GT2 RS or a Koenigsegg... they only come in automatics. No wait... it was the price tag on those choices!
F1 cars are not built for the driver to enjoy driving them. They are built to run the best lap times possible. Many high end cars also suffer from this issue. The manufacturer feels they have to put an automatic transmission in the car so that the lap times are the best possible. Doesn't mean the car is more fun to drive.

Some of those exotic car manufacturers are starting to put manual transmissions back into high end cars. And those cars are selling no problem. Because they are more fun to drive.

Personally I'd rather have a self-driver and read a book than have a car that is super fast with an automatic transmission. Especially for my daily commute when I have to drive with traffic anyway.

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
If it shifts automatically, it's an automatic.

Some people say it's only an automatic if it has a torque converter. That's old school thinking. Does the GT500 shift by itself? Yup....automatic.
Not my words but.....

Essentially, a DCT is an automated manual transmission which uses two separate clutches, one of each odd and even gear sets. So it almost seems like a DCT is two manual gearboxes stuffed into one housing. These DCTs are normally operated much like a standard automatic transmission, with a simple PRND gear selector and no clutch pedal. They can also work just like an automatic transmission, shifting gears on their own, or can be manually controlled, via paddle shifters or a separate gate on the gear selector. This works like so: one clutch has an odd number gear engaged, the computer figures out which even number gear you will need next, have the second clutch ready that gear and simply switch clutches when the time is right. The idea is to give customers the ability to creep along in automatic mode, much like they would with a standard torque-converter automatic, or shift gears manually if they so choose. The DCT is supposed to be the best of both worlds, and it’s about as close as we’ll ever get to that.

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
I’d be happy with any GT2 RS.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Bought a brand new M3 convertible a number of years ago and ordered a DCT with the car instead of a 6 speed manual.

One of the biggest mistakes that I have ever made and would never order another car again with it even if it was a Porsche with a PDK.

:wink:

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Essentially, a DCT is an automated manual transmission.... or shift gears manually if they so choose.

One does not manually shift a DCT but rather send a polite request to the transmission computer that it is fully capable of ignoring.
Sponsored