corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
If it's only updating infotainment/nav/SYNC stuff, it wouldn't need to care if you started moving it immediately.

Why wouldn't the availability of this capability be limited to when the key is in the 'on' position plus maybe enough delay to at least download a maximum-length file (a delay similar to but separate from the delay that's available for window and radio use)? Sure, "PLENTY of battery capacity" is enough . . . until it isn't.

Norm
Sponsored

OP
OP
Hack

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
If it's only updating infotainment/nav/SYNC stuff, it wouldn't need to care if you started moving it immediately.

Why wouldn't the availability of this capability be limited to when the key is in the 'on' position plus maybe enough delay to at least download a maximum-length file (a delay similar to but separate from the delay that's available for window and radio use)? Sure, "PLENTY of battery capacity" is enough . . . until it isn't.

Norm
Compare a car battery to a cell phone battery. My initial thought was that downloading when the car isn't running could drain the battery, but then after reconsidering I decided the car could spend hours downloading with no problem. Not that it would need to, but there would definitely be no limitation preventing the car from downloading a few megs or gigs while not running.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I have no idea how much power would be drawn to download and possibly configure for a large update, but having been in the situation where leaving the trunk ajar for well under an an hour was the difference between starting as if the battery was new and getting only the "click-click-click" on turning the key does not give me a warm fuzzy feeling about giving updates unrestricted access.

Norm

OP
OP
Hack

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Got a message about a Sirius update this morning. The message popped up when I was about 7 miles from home.
Sponsored