Sponsored

Why is performance package mutually exclusive with mini spare wheel?

Pronichkin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Artem
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Conv (totaled by a puma); 2021 GT Conv PP1
The order guide (for 2021) indicates that the GT Performance Package is not available with Mini Spare Wheel and Tire (66W). Similarly, the Mini Spare Wheel and Tire is not available with GT Performance Package (67G). The interactive configurator on the Ford website (for 2020 models) behaves the same: you cannot choose both options at the same time.

How so? Does anybody know the technical reason behind that? Is there some PP equipment that occupies the same space as the spare wheel?
Sponsored

Mach VII

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 401A, 1989 Lincoln Mk VII LSC
Spare won't fit over front Brembo calipers......

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
The only thing occupied in the space is a POS tire fix a flat pump kit - that won’t save you if your life depended on it...

Just buy the spare kit separately on eBay new or used... new kits or can be had for like $230+/- depending on where you get it... Used pricing is about $100-$150, depending on who wants it gone from their garage.

There is also another spare tire kit that is aftermarket but upwards of like $500 - been discussed on here for eons...

Last edited:

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
Im just gonna use the pump or call the phone number lol. Tow me to a shop.

TheSnowmanMafia

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium
I'd rather just get it towed than have the weight of a spare that wont even clear my front calipers.

Sponsored

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
most leaks are slow enough that you can just inflate your tire up to like 45 with the pump then drive to a shop before it gets below like 20

aggarcia70

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Shelby GT350
Ford does not offer a spare for any of the Mustang/Shelby models with the Brembo brakes. I recently bought the Automotive Authority spare kit recently as it hit road debris that cut the right front tire 1x3 inches, so no pump was going to fix this. Called my roadside assistance and waited 6 hours while being only 4 miles from home. I would rather swap this spare tire and get back on the road in 20 minutes.

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
Ford does not offer a spare for any of the Mustang/Shelby models with the Brembo brakes. I recently bought the Automotive Authority spare kit recently as it hit road debris that cut the right front tire 1x3 inches, so no pump was going to fix this. Called my roadside assistance and waited 6 hours while being only 4 miles from home. I would rather swap this spare tire and get back on the road in 20 minutes.
^This^

My last encounter with a flat was on my M235 with "runflat" tires. I had a piece of metal cut the sidewall and the runflat immediately went flat and thudding. Called AAA, minimum 1 hour wait, if not longer, and then I would still need a ride home from the garage where the truck would take me - the CLOSED garage, as it was after business hours.

Limped 1/4 mile down the road until I was off the interstate, pulled out the spare I had purchased myself (as BMW didn't supply one because of the runflats) and was on my way within 25 minutes. Called my tire guy, drove carefully on the spare for 2 days until he got the replacement in, drove to the shop and was out in 1/2 hour. Without the spare, I would have been in a borrowed or rented car for 2 days and would have needed 2 trips to the shop (one dropoff and one pickup).

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
The reasons are:
1. pump fills the space
2. No jack or lug nut wrench in the car
3. Added weight and they are doing everything to save weight to improve fuel economy
4. PP1 has different diameter tires (front vs rear) and offsets so which one will it fit correctly, the front or back? PP2 has different offsets but at least the same tire diameter but they are smaller in diameter (PP2 26.3" vs PP1 Fr:27, Rr:27.7). For which package do you make the spare?
5. The one they have won't fit over the Brembo 15" brakes. How many PP1/PP2/Bullitt cars are sold in the first place to warrant the extra cost?
6. A spare to match the 275 rear tire wouldn't fit in the compartment if I recall. The AA spare is smaller than a 275/40R19 in diameter. Your diff will think you are driving a long distance on a tight turn if you mount it on the rear. Not much better if you put a front tire on the rear and then the spare on the front. Whatever you do, don't go too fast with one. A spare to fit a PP2 will fit the spare well as long as it is as narrow as the Ford offered spare. I am sure there are traction issues to deal with as well. As for putting a front PP2 tire on the rear, it had little affect. My car came that way (there is a thread). I had 3 front tires and one rear. Even with the 24mm difference in offset, the car tracked straight and only showed an issue when it hit rough road but part of that were the Cup2 tires. It did have a tendency to kick out more to one side when it hit a rough patch. Either way, it would work.

I already told the wife that if I have a flat, grab the top tire on the stack (a front tire) and bring it in the RAV4 to me. Of course, I did not tell her they weigh 62 lbs! Hope she will never find out. Worse case, she stays with the Mustang and I go get the tire. Benefits to having a winter full set of tires.

Last edited:

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The reasons are:
1. pump fills the space
2. No jack or lug nut wrench in the car
3. Added weight and they are doing everything to save weight to improve fuel economy
4. PP1 has different diameter tires (front vs rear) and offsets so which one will it fit correctly, the front or back? PP2 has different offsets but at least the same tire diameter but they are smaller in diameter (PP2 26.3" vs PP1 Fr:27, Rr:27.7). For which package do you make the spare?
5. The one they have won't fit over the Brembo 15" brakes. How many PP1/PP2/Bullitt cars are sold in the first place to warrant the extra cost?
6. A spare to match the 275 rear tire wouldn't fit in the compartment if I recall. The AA spare is smaller than a 275/40R19 in diameter. Your diff will think you are driving a long distance on a tight turn if you mount it on the rear. Not much better if you put a front tire on the rear and then the spare on the front. Whatever you do, don't go too fast with one. A spare to fit a PP2 will fit the spare well as long as it is as narrow as the Ford offered spare. I am sure there are traction issues to deal with as well. As for putting a front PP2 tire on the rear, it had little affect. My car came that way (there is a thread). I had 3 front tires and one rear. Even with the 24mm difference in offset, the car tracked straight and only showed an issue when it hit rough road but part of that were the Cup2 tires. It did have a tendency to kick out more to one side when it hit a rough patch. Either way, it would work.

I already told the wife that if I have a flat, grab the top tire on the stack (a front tire) and bring it in the RAV4 to me. Of course, I did not tell her they weigh 62 lbs! Hope she will never find out. Worse case, she stays with the Mustang and I go get the tire. Benefits to having a winter full set of tires.
Get the Automotive Authority spare. Yes, it's $500. But:
  1. Take the pump out put it behind the driver's seat and the AA spare fits in the well.
  2. It comes with a jack and wrench
  3. It's 30 - 40 lbs tops, so a whole 1% increase in weight.
  4. It's the same diameter as the PP1 rear tires. It's well within the tolerance of the LSD on the rear if you have a PP2 and has no issues on the front with either PP1 or PP2.
  5. The AA spare fits over the Bembros.
  6. You do not recall correctly. It's snug, but it fits and the cover lays flat to the trunk floor. Per the manufacturer, the Torsen differential in the back on the PP1 and PP2 will tolerate up to a 25% (yes, twenty-five percent) diameter difference for reasonable times and distances. With the <5% difference you'll see against a PP2 (and effectively no difference on a PP1), range is not an issue.
And, sure, my wife does nothing but sit around the house waiting for me to call and tell her to bring me tires. :facepalm:

Last edited:

Sponsored

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Get the Automotive Authority spare. Yes, it's $500. But:
  1. Take the pump out put it behind the driver's seat and the AA spare fits in the well.
  2. It comes with a jack and wrench
  3. It's 30 - 40 lbs tops, so a whole 1% increase in weight.
  4. It's the same diameter as the PP1 rear tires. It's well within the tolerance of the LSD on the rear if you have a PP2 and has no issues on the front with either PP1 or PP2.
  5. The AA spare fits over the Bembros.
  6. You do not recall correctly. It's snug, but it fits and the cover lays flat to the trunk floor. Per the manufacturer, the Torsen differential in the back on the PP1 and PP2 will tolerate up to a 25% (yes, twenty-five percent) diameter difference for reasonable times and distances. With the <5% difference you'll see against a PP2 (and effectively no difference on a PP1), range is not an issue.
And, sure, my wife does nothing but sit around the house waiting for me to call and tell her to bring me tires. :facepalm:
The AA can be purchased with a jack and wrench but they do not come with it. It can be purchased as a package but you can also purchase the tire and wheel separately.

The AA tire is a 155/70R19 which is 27.5" in diameter, slightly bigger than the front but smaller than the back making it idea for a PP1. I stand corrected. It is 4.9% bigger than a PP2 so, not as good. The optional 135/70R19 is 26.4 so more closely matches the 26.2" diameter of a 305/30R19. If you have a PP2, you can ask for a smaller tire(135/70R19). I asked and they have one.

Get a tool bag and put a better pump in that and toss the Ford pump.

As for the 25%, WOW , I had no idea you could be that far off. Not sure I would want to. What is reasonable range? 1-5 miles?

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As for the 25%, WOW , I had no idea you could be that far off. Not sure I would want to. What is reasonable range? 1-5 miles?
Per Torsen for the 25% diameter difference, "If kept to the operational restrictions (speed and distance), this falls within what the differential can handle." I would assume that's the 50 miles / 50 mph typically printed on the side of the tires. Torsen goes on to say that 1/4" difference is a relative non-issue.

https://torsen.com/ask-torsen-using-a-mini-spare-tire/
Sponsored