Sponsored

Why is A10 Dragstrip mode so smooth?

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
On a discussion about hard hard shifts for the A10 someone mentioned drag mode was smooth. I have a hard 4th to 5th shift in normal and sport mode so I decided to give it a try. I don't think I could get them that smooth with the paddles.

It is unbelievably smooth and tame feeling. I would actually say too much so, feels like a lux car. Only clue is the sound of the engine changing from 4th to 5th.

So, what is going on here? Is it the shift points, something with the torque converter, etc?
Sponsored

OP
OP

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
Are you experiencing this "smoothness" at full WOT?
No, just normal driving. Not what that mode is for. In normal, sport, and track I get a heavy thunk from 4th to 5th.

I'm also running Lund E85 flex but the hard shifts are also there with stock.

OP
OP

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
Thanks, done all the above already. I've just stopped worrying about the hard shifts.

Now I'm just curious about drag strip being so smooth. It makes me think the hard shifts may be software related. But I have reset the adaptive trans.

Perhaps dragstrip mode is calm under light throttle to prevent accidents?

Sponsored

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
Thanks, done all the above already. I've just stopped worrying about the hard shifts.

Now I'm just curious about drag strip being so smooth. It makes me think the hard shifts may be software related. But I have reset the adaptive trans.

Perhaps dragstrip mode is calm under light throttle to prevent accidents?
Pit manners.....

OP
OP

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
Why would you use drag mode in anything other than racing? im confused as hell.
I am not. As stated on the first post I was just evaluating transmission behaviors to see if the hard shifts were still present. Many people are getting a hard thunk/jolt anywhere from 3rd to 5th that clearing adaptions does not solve. My finding is that it is completely gone in dragstrip mode. I still use normal, sport and snow/rain.

OP
OP

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
I'm assuming you've checked fluid levels, and done your due diligence. I've got nothing at this point.
I did take it in to the dealer but they wanted to clear the adaptions first. Have to go back for a second service trip unfortunately.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Smooth cause in DS mode you'll go quicker by slipping it from gear to gear. And so those A10 clutches won't grenade.

JZTRK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R''Ken'' 2016 GT350 2020 GT "Mollie"
My car in drag mode with minimal to normal throttle will be regular/soft. If I take off and matt it or WOT off the line it will 1-2 chirrrp 3-4 chirrp and depending road surface I will get a nother chirp and bang bang bang

Sponsored

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
I really haven't tried DS mode in any real way yet but I will to see if I can note the OP's findings. Also I have the harsh 3-4 & 4-5 thing. Car is going in soon for service so I want it reset and the fluid level verified. What's weird about this trans is I can feather the shifts to be smooth with the throttle and they feel great or I can stay in it and they are harsh and jerky.

I'm hoping I can get it resolved as it is something that takes away from my enjoyment when it occurs.

OP
OP

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
I really haven't tried DS mode in any real way yet but I will to see if I can note the OP's findings. Also I have the harsh 3-4 & 4-5 thing. Car is going in soon for service so I want it reset and the fluid level verified. What's weird about this trans is I can feather the shifts to be smooth with the throttle and they feel great or I can stay in it and they are harsh and jerky.

I'm hoping I can get it resolved as it is something that takes away from my enjoyment when it occurs.
Let me know what you find. I think drag mode without WOT responds in a similar way to rain/snow mode. Logically, rain/snow should be the first option that comes up, although it would drive most people nuts.

Another thing I think drag does is use the epas to keep the car straight. Turns feel heavier, more so than I think they do in sport .
Sponsored