Sponsored

Why doesn't the GT with 10R80 have a Launch Control?

NorthernBeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black '17 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Is there a reason why the Manual has Launch Control but the 10R80 doesn't? I would think that acceleration and drag time would be even better with one. Is it due to the fact that it's not dual clutch?
Sponsored

MadMuirder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
None of the autos have launch control, for reasons @Mikthehun1 mentioned. I believe all the launch control does in the s550s is hold rpm steady while clutch is engaged at a dead stop, allowing you to dump the clutch at full throttle instead of finding a balance point on the pedal that holds you at the rpm you want to launch at, and the depressing the pedal to get WOT after you clutch out.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
How do you define "launch control"??

Yeah, without a clutch,
None of the autos have launch control, for reasons @Mikthehun1 mentioned. I believe all the launch control does in the s550s is hold rpm steady while clutch is engaged at a dead stop, allowing you to dump the clutch at full throttle instead of finding a balance point on the pedal that holds you at the rpm you want to launch at, and the depressing the pedal to get WOT after you clutch out.
Yep, that's what it does on the MT82s.

I tried it once......it was interesting. Definitely not for the street, as it's a max-attack launch that isn't necessarily the best. The car holds the RPM where you set it with your foot to the floor, then you just dump the clutch and the engine maxes out. When I did it, it just ended with massive wheel-spin, the engine bellowing, smoke pouring from the clutch and rear tires, and me backing out of it.

It's pretty violent, actually. I would think I had it set too high, should try it at lower RPMs.

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
There's nothing about an automatic that's inherently prohibitive of launch control. My M235 with a ZF 8-speed torque converter automatic had launch control.

Activating it was an adventure though. In order to use LC, you needed to:
  • be at full operating temperature,
  • press the drive mode button two times,
  • pull the shifter to the left,
  • full brake with left foot,
  • flat the throttle with right foot past the kickdown switch,
  • wait for the starting flag on the dashboard,
  • wait for the RPM to stabilize, and
  • release the brake within 3 seconds.
I believe there was a time / transmission temperature lockout between runs as well.

FWIW, my opinion is that the 10R80 doesn't have launch control because Ford doesn't want it to.

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
FWIW, my opinion is that the 10R80 doesn't have launch control because Ford doesn't want it to.
Isn't drag mode in the 10R80 effectively launch control? I'm pretty sure everything is optimized in drag mode for straight line performance.

Sponsored

Hivel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
The A10 is quicker on a street tire because it does not shock the tires as bad when launching. It puts the power down very well. A converter/trans brake are worthless without a heated drag tire. I’m not interested in drag only setups myself...

ihc95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10 401A
This is an interesting topic since the 2019 Camaro SS with the same A10 transmission DOES have launch control. Ford probably felt that 1st gear was short enough and the 5.0 doesn't have the same massive low end torque to manage as the LT1. To me Launch control wouldn't be worth the potential of extra stress on the drivetrain and the development time/cost for software calibration. Let's be honest about two things as well: 1) 99% of owners would never use it 2) the hardcore drag racing guys would be able to launch better without it (this is almost always the case with RWD cars).

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
To me Launch control wouldn't be worth the potential of extra stress on the drivetrain...

Drag mode has already shown to cause additional stress to the rear axle shafts. IIRC a member here broke one at the drag strip with his auto, I believe it was one of the vendors too but let me see if I can find it.

Mustang5ohMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
A
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Yeah I went looking for my launch control today, realized A10 PP1 doesn’t have it.
Track and Drag mode seem similar but I know there’s a difference in what needs to be achieved. What I’ve been trying to figure out is the count down option, not sure what it counts down but it gives my the option of track and drag count down timers...
Sponsored