Sponsored

Why do Pirelli P zero summer tires skip or jump when first coming out of driveway cold?

67go

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
tacoma, mazdacx5, 22 Mustang GT Rapid Red
They are above the 45 degree requirement when I back out. When turning to go I have to go very slow or the front tire skips or jumps. Very annoying. Reading briefly, I see they call it the Ackermann effect. Very common. Thread already beaten to death? Appreciate any help.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Summer only tire compound gets softer when the exterior temps are warmer and after driving on them for a few miles; as the tire heats up, the compound gets more pliable or sticky…. The colder the exterior temps, the tire compound becomes much harder.

In cold weather, the surface of the driveway and or road is cold and the tire compound is also cold, but the rubber has become hard from sitting. Couple that with trying to turn the wheel when pulling out backwards or parking, and the tire will actually skip across the cold pavement.

This is why Summer Only tires (any brand) usually has a warning or cautionary note that they should not be relied upon or driven on when exterior temps are 40* and below…. Can you drive on them? Certainly. But be aware that traction and performance will be severely diminished and you cannot drive (safely) in the same manner as you would when temps are 70*+.

fredsmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible
I have experienced this many times in Minnesota and it is alarming. I have never had it happen with any other car (even previous generation mustangs). It makes a huge clunking noise. I have asked the dealership and they, of course, said everything was fine.

I do not think it's anything to worry about, but it's very strange.

sms2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SS
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 premium
Thought my car was broken, then I switched the pirellis for Michelins. No more issues.

Sponsored

CarmeloS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carmelo
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Bronco Badlands
Thought my car was broken, then I switched the pirellis for Michelins. No more issues.
Them or Conti’s here. I feel outside of the southwest where rain is rare and its usually hot and arid, Pirelli’s are acceptable, but not elsewhere

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
They are above the 45 degree requirement when I back out. When turning to go I have to go very slow or the front tire skips or jumps. Very annoying. Reading briefly, I see they call it the Ackermann effect. Very common. Thread already beaten to death? Appreciate any help.
Because they are complete and utter trash.

sms2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SS
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 premium

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
LOL EVERYONE always talks smack on Pirellis. Yeah I confirm they are a pile of trash.

Sponsored

David Schmidt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 PP1 401A
In the Southeast here, where a cold winter morning is 45... I called 'em hockey pucks when I still had summer tires. They were stupid-hard when that cold, as Cobra Jet points out. I swapped for A/S once they wore out (which happened quickly).

CarmeloS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carmelo
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Bronco Badlands
LOL EVERYONE always talks smack on Pirellis. Yeah I confirm they are a pile of trash.
Ill never forget fishtailing going down an exit ramp at 35 with my bonestock B7 A4 Quattro, not going nuts or anything, when they had pirelli’s, during light rain

that says all you need to know about them

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Puh-lease... they don't suck.

Under 10c and you guys expect miracles.

My FireHawks do the same when cold. Yet grip like a motherfooker when warm. Same with a buddies Michelins.

Guess they suck too.
Sponsored