Why DIDN'T you get a camaro?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I've had several Mustangs over the years and the look was getting old to me and one of the main reasons I went with the Challenger. I also considered the Supra and this one looks amazing, but when I went over to one of the main Supra forums I was shocked that there was almost nobody on there that recommended the new car as they said it was basically a BMW and then I heard they were locking the ECU's up and such and the fact they didn't have many colors or even many options really turned me off to them.
The issues I have with Supra are:
1. No manual transmission! This is a deal breaker for me.
2. Price is very high.
3. It's not that fast.

But I do think the Supra looks great in a side view. Better looking by far than the Mustang. The Supra is only hideous from the front view.

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
2. Price is very high.
3. It's not that fast.

But I do think the Supra looks great in a side view. Better looking by far than the Mustang. The Supra is only hideous from the front view.
Supra getting a manual trans this year!

OnThree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
2. Price is very high.
3. It's not that fast.

The supra is about as fast as an A10 5.0 so not slow at all. You can get huge gains from just an e85 tune. Not to mention, the B58 is a much more potent platform with bolt ons than a coyote which is what 99% of people do.

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
The 3rd gen was a hand down from my parents that they had bought new. They hated that car (makes me wonder what they thought of me šŸ˜‚).

The Mustangs were all used, the Corvette was brand new with 7 miles. My current Mustang was used with 16k. My ex-wives 2011 Edge was brand new and still running and looking greatā€¦A 2012 Fusion bought new developed a tranny problem at 170k.

I hear you when it comes to cost and inflation. Manufacturers are making better cars, but the quality and technology come at a cost. $55k for a loaded Mustang, $80k for a loaded Vetteā€¦and impossible to find on the lot (albeit for various reasons). We pay to play and demand is through the roof. The market will bear the price the consumer is willing to pay. I wouldnā€™t want to be a 20 year old in this day and age. Itā€™s tough.
And why they have no want of a vehicle, everything they can buy is boring or used up junk.
It be like when the 3rd gens were still in production and a yugo was your fate, your want to drive just went to nill. Welcome to a day in the life of the youth of today.
Sure they could buy an 80's car, as they are cheap, but they all are electrical nightmares. Calling a hook isn't all that cool, when your ride needs a watercooled AAA club road side servce card.

xSouthSyde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic GT
The supra is about as fast as an A10 5.0 so not slow at all. You can get huge gains from just an e85 tune. Not to mention, the B58 is a much more potent platform with bolt ons than a coyote which is what 99% of people do.
Have they fixed the wind buffeting issue. I know when they first released the new model Supra you had to drive with the windows up because the the wind noise was unbearable.

OnThree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Have they fixed the wind buffeting issue. I know when they first released the new model Supra you had to drive with the windows up because the the wind noise was unbearable.
Nope, but apparently aftermarket has fixed it for like $200. That is definitely is an annoyance tho from the short time I rode in a A91

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
because they have a bias toward cell-based chips and less on dinosaur tech, and they also know how chip-production and lead times work, unlike the idiots at Ford and GM who cancelled orders.
In all fairness no one though, as people were sent home to not work, and no income and a questionable future at their job or if where the work would even still be around, that folks would go on a vehicle buying spree.
No one saw that coming.
They keep blaming the chips, but it is more than that. when the sub contract vendors are forced into lock down, you can't get the parts to screw/snap together a vehicle. Chips was the scapegoat. It was only one of many of the causes to this cluster.
But if you told me that people that don't know where or when the next paycheck will be were going to say duck it, I want a new car/truck, cell phone, gaming toy, computer,tv etc. I'd think you were nuts.
As many I know and myself started saving, not spending.
Maybe people thought, they better buy while they can before/if they are out of a job and let the chase begin .
Who knows, but no one though a mass or people would go buying vehicles, homes, not needed items just because they are bored.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
negative 14% is not a 'spree', though I will grant you Ford/GM HQ probably thought >30% cuts were a reasonable guesstimate. But they seemingly didn't understand the first rule of semi-conductor supply-chain: if you release capacity you WILL NOT get it back. They likely thought it was just like any of their other component suppliers who can "turn the machines back on" at the drop of a hat.

Ford et. al. were likely also under the delusion their business mattered. Unlike all their suppliers who are desperate to lick their boots, Semi-con could give a sh*t about automotive companies - they are only 10% of capacity.

They learned (I hope) a very tough lesson.

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
negative 14% is not a 'spree', though I will grant you Ford/GM HQ probably thought >30% cuts were a reasonable guesstimate. But they seemingly didn't understand the first rule of semi-conductor supply-chain: if you release capacity you WILL NOT get it back. They likely thought it was just like any of their other component suppliers who can "turn the machines back on" at the drop of a hat.

Ford et. al. were likely also under the delusion their business mattered. Unlike all their suppliers who are desperate to lick their boots, Semi-con could give a sh*t about automotive companies - they are only 10% of capacity.

They learned (I hope) a very tough lesson.
When you compare those told to stay home, no work 4u, to the number of people that decided, ya. I'm buying a new vehicle it was a spree. at least in my eyes. I mean, maybe it is me, but when your income future is questionable , I don't go spending, and many did.

I'm sure the Semi-conductor factories don't care about the small market share, as they know it isn't going to lose it.
If I was Gm/ford/dodge. I'd ban together and build a semi conducor factory as a joint effort. As future proofing .

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
If I was Gm/ford/dodge. I'd ban together and build a semi conducor factory as a joint effort. As future proffing .
agreed and sign some 30 year term contracts with domestic suppliers like Micron, TI, GF, or Intel to build that theoretical FoxConn plant in Wisconsin that went nowhere. Hell, let TSMC, Samsung, or Japan own 49% but bloody well build it and stop being beholden to countries in the cross-hairs. Problem is the Fab will cost a couple billion and take 4-5 years to come online.

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
They havenā€™t fixed it, but depending on what you wanna spend, 150-200$ for some carbon pieces, or as cheap as these 6$ Amazon bits that match the part the attach to and canā€™t really see it. Without them though itā€™s soooo horrible.

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra

3. It's not that fast.

it takes a FI Mustang A10 to beat a e50 tuned Supra with a downpipe Here in Vegas. The DA is sooo shitty here NA cars really hurt. Like e85 FBO A10 mustangs running high 11ā€™s low 12ā€™s with a tire. My Supra did a best of a 10.8 and almost 3 sec faster 60-130 on the dragy. I know there are many 10 sec NA A10ā€™s out there, but I havenā€™t seen them at our elevation.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
If you buy the BASE 4 cylinder Supra for $43k and compare that to the BASE A10 GT which still costs quite a bit less, I'm pretty sure the GT is significantly faster.

Now if you upgrade to the straight 6 Supra for $50k or more, then they are close.

The Supra isn't that fast for what it costs is what I should have said. One thing I do like about it is the general size of it. It's a lot better size than the Mustang.

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard Premium GT automatic
I wonder what else they changed for 22? From a quick search it looks like they added the heated seats which was a major absence IMO. But looks like they still have the same 7 or so basic colors and almost no option packages, sad.

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Even though I didn't get a Camaro.
I'll gladly take a 2020 lt1, manual or automatic drivetrain for my G body .