Why DIDN'T you get a camaro?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Normally I'm looking further down track, but I do suspect I tend to run a few inches wide on right turn apexes because of it.
sheeeet, I want to rip the damn rear-view off the windshield because it's totally blocking my sight-lines in right curves. It's a pity it doesn't have a quick-detach mechanism.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
The difference being made up by focusing more on handling/acceleration, thus making up time in the corners.
Yes. I overheard my grandson brag that his racing dad could go slow faster than a friends dad could.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
sheeeet, I want to rip the damn rear-view off the windshield because it's totally blocking my sight-lines in right curves. It's a pity it doesn't have a quick-detach mechanism.
I've known more than a few autocrossers who turned the inside rearview mirrors sideways . . .

Norm

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I respectfully disagree completely. I prefer it centralized being that it is somewhat translucent and i dont have to look away from the road even for a split second to see what i want displayed on it. I use my phone navigation too, and itll display to my HUD. Kind of goes with your argument against cruise control. Which i agree with. But in this sense, having the HUD visible at all times takes away time you arent concentrated on the road. I may agree with your points more if it actually obstructed view, but a) i can see through it and b) its low enough on my view that if something were covered by it, I'm probably hitting it regardless.

Also fwiw, you can lower it enough that you wont see it. Or buy a non 1le that doesnt come with it
AS for the double camel hump, I do not find it intrusive. I just do not like the look of it. I prefer a flat or smoothly continuous dash.

As for the HUD I find my peripheral vision allows me to see the drivers dash just fine. No need for duplicate data on the windshield. Being transparent, does it adjust intensity to how bright the HUD is based on the background? I could imagine it being fine at night and then be almost too dim in daylight or too bright at night and fine in the day. How is it with the sun rising or setting? Is it hard to see then? If the data displayed by it is important and there are times you cannot see it, I wonder how useful it is. I personally think the Camaro driver dash is very good. There was no need to add anything.

As for navigation, that too pops up on the center of my 12" display in the Mustang. Still do not need it in a HUD. Redundant info. On top of all that, the software speaks the directions. Why would I need to deviate my eyes for directions? Does the Camaro only post directions in the driver's dash at all? It can in the Mustang. Does the Camaro display directions only on the center console? What about audible directions?

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I have ridden motorcycles for the past 12ish years around idiots on the street, and off road before that, i have also ridden them on a track. So i feel my senses are fine lol, i dont NEED the HUD
Not exactly what I was getting at.

...but we really dont need half the things on our cars nowadays.
For sure. There's stuff on my '08 that I've never tried out, and lots of things on our WRX that I'll never even look into. I'd be fine if they were never there to begin with.

I still appreciate the HUD and its use for navigation. Its also just a neat feature in general that i appreciate. I immediately loved it.
I guess if I used navigation, or if I couldn't maintain a reasonably constant speed, I might feel a bit differently. Since I've never had any difficulty with those things (or with anything else that can be displayed on a Camaro HUD screen), there's nothing there that I need any help with, so the whole OEM HUD simply becomes needless clutter.

You know this is not coming from a fanboi.

Perhaps we will just have to agree to disagree.
As far as HUD display location is concerned, most likely. But I really do like that little Aeroforce gauge.

Norm

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
AS for the double camel hump, I do not find it intrusive. I just do not like the look of it. I prefer a flat or smoothly continuous dash.

As for the HUD I find my peripheral vision allows me to see the drivers dash just fine. No need for duplicate data on the windshield. Being transparent, does it adjust intensity to how bright the HUD is based on the background? I could imagine it being fine at night and then be almost too dim in daylight or too bright at night and fine in the day. How is it with the sun rising or setting? Is it hard to see then? If the data displayed by it is important and there are times you cannot see it, I wonder how useful it is. I personally think the Camaro driver dash is very good. There was no need to add anything.

As for navigation, that too pops up on the center of my 12" display in the Mustang. Still do not need it in a HUD. Redundant info. On top of all that, the software speaks the directions. Why would I need to deviate my eyes for directions? Does the Camaro only post directions in the driver's dash at all? It can in the Mustang. Does the Camaro display directions only on the center console? What about audible directions?
Of course a camaro can do those things. They are pretty basic functions of any car nowadays. Who doesn't have sound navigation? Lol. And you can easily move music or nav to the center. Do i want to take up that space for it? Not really, hence why the HUD is a better location imo.

I have never had an issue seeing the HUD at night or day. You can dim it as you want, but ive had no reason to. I was at a light last night, and could perfectly see the rear bumper of the truck in front of me through the HUD. I was going to take a pic to show how you can perfectly see through the HUD, but we started moving before i could.

Some people turn off the voice navigation of things, to better hear music or other things. Not saying I'm one of those people, but just saying there are arguments for and against anything and it seems like you are trying to make arguments against it simply because the mustang doesnt have it. You don't need hood struts either, but the camaro comes with it and many mustang owners add them, so sometimes having things we don't NEED can be beneficial or even at the very least, neat to have. As i said earlier, if Ford adds a HUD to the mustang i bet most people won't complain one bit and will actually love it.

Either way, you seem to be confusing me with saying its something you need, which I'm not. I'm saying it's something that is a cool feature that can be helpful as well. I think an extra translucent light that you can see immediately without moving your eyes much and not having that function take up a spot on your instrument cluster (ie navigation, or lateral g's, music, etc etc) and keeping your cluster available for other readings is a good thing and don't understand the logic of it being bad.

I also enjoy the instrument cluster on the camaro and set it to other readings not on the HUD so i can see them all if needed and not need to change between them.

Last edited:

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Why are we arguing over the HUD? You can turn it off, so if you don't like it there's no reason to consider it a negative lol. It's one thing that Ford should add, even if some say they'll just turn it off (they won't).
Agree 100%

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Nice video for the LT1 (base model v8) from a charger/challenger/mustang owner

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Nice video for the LT1 (base model v8) from a charger/challenger/mustang owner

I do love that GM did this, it's really a nice car for the price. It makes me wonder how much it costs to build a Coyote versus an LT1 engine. I still prefer my Mustang interior and the Coyote's fun rev happy nature, though.

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
I do love that GM did this, it's really a nice car for the price. It makes me wonder how much it costs to build a Coyote versus an LT1 engine. I still prefer my Mustang interior and the Coyote's fun rev happy nature, though.
I agree

Like i said earlier, i love both engines. I probably prefer the coyote for boosted applications (i havent boosted the camaro but the coyote seems to react better), and NA for the LT1 in the camaro.

I like the rev happy nature of the coyote, and also love the low end torque with still a pretty decent rev nature of the LT1. I think both are great engines tbh.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Had a 6th gen ZL1 pass by me going the other way after work today.
Second time I had seen one in person. Pretty bad ass looking.
I was passed by a ZL1 with the 1LE package, which adds wings, fins, dive-planes, etc.

It looked like it was eating the road. Very sinister.