Why DIDN'T you get a camaro?

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
considering fully half of all cars have it on the other side... I don't know if there's an industry agreement to do so 50/50 on their designs or what. It seems too evenly distributed to be accidental since "obviously" it should be on the left in USA and right in UK.
But why does it matter what side your tank is on? Oh no! I have to walk to the other side of the car to get gas and "waste" like 10 steps. Is there something I'm missing here? Even now with most of the cars I've owned being filled on the drivers side so I'm used to it, when I get in a rental or work vehicle and need to fill it from the passenger side, it doesn't bother me in the least. That's why I'm curious why it's a deal breaker for someone else.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
I like to pull up to the pump, step out, and start pumping fuel. Walking around to the passenger side is annoying.
Agree it can be annoying when used to doing it one way. Interesting to me that it bothers you to the point of deal breaker status. I would own my mustang no matter what side the fuel got filled on.

spectreman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2008 Bullitt
Everyone has touched upon the Camaro's interior, visibility, and limited back seat & tight trunk space so I won't bother.

Some background so you understand my perspective-
My 1st 'muscle' car was a '78 Z28. Loved the heck out of that car as it was my entry vehicle into American muscle but in truth, that car was a pig- large, wieldy handling, questionable brakes and an engine barely putting out 200 HP, although it sounded great. In '88 I bought my first Stang, an LX 5.0, in gray- a real sleeper- and never looked back. It's been 8 Stangs in a row ever since.

When I recently decided it was time to trade the '09 GT500, I researched Camaros, Challengers and, of course, Stangs. I like them all and recognize each has its strengths/weaknesses/flaws in design. But I need a car as a daily driver, as my cars, even tho they get lightly modded, never see the track in any way.

The Challenger is a super cool car & I could really see owning a wide body R/T Scatpack. Plenty of space, power, handling & performance capabilities for me. My only issue is that it's physically too large a vehicle for my tastes. It would take up too much of my garage and I hate parking the car outside.

The Camaro also calls to me- love that engine, its handling package. I also think it's a sharp looking car. Pretty much any model in the LT1, 1SS or 2SS would more than serve my purposes pretty well. But by the time I get done checking all the boxes, it also becomes a bit pricey for my wallet and flatly, I simply hate the lack of rearview visibility.

After 30+ years in Stangs, I'm most familiar with the model but honestly, the S550's appearance has never grabbed me. It's that damn front end, especially on my Bullitt- looks like a goldfish's mouth. The rest of the car- the quality of its build, the tightness of the package, its overall performance won me over...again. So the decision was not the difficult.

Honestly, I don't think you could go wrong w/any of the modern day interpretations of America's remaining pony/muscle cars. It's just a matter of your preferences.
Good luck!
Lee

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Ok people, it's been posted at Camaro6. They know this is a cross-forum post, and have been warned about it. If you decide to post over there, please be nice and respectful. We are all car people and either car is a win for anyone.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=586170
Just think in 2024 there won't be any more Camaros produced...and all those potential Camaro buyers will have to choose between a hippo car (dodge) and a cheetah car (Mustang)...lol

BMAGOO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS, 2016 Explorer Sport, 2015 Ram 1500 Sport, 1968 Firebird
Vehicle Showcase
Pretty sure my ‘94 Mustang had the tank on the passenger side.
The worst thing about having the tank on the passenger side is that if you have a passenger who’s not paying attention, they could end up opening the door right into the concrete filled pole protecting the pump. Ask me how I know !!!
Sorry for not staying on topic.

Jason304

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350 2016 Ram 2500 2012 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Agree it can be annoying when used to doing it one way. Interesting to me that it bothers you to the point of deal breaker status. I would own my mustang no matter what side the fuel got filled on.
It’s just one of those things that drives me nuts when I get behind the wheel of a right hand fuel door vehicle. And as much as I love my 350. I would not have bought it if the gas cap was on the passenger side.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Pretty sure my ‘94 Mustang had the tank on the passenger side.
The worst thing about having the tank on the passenger side is that if you have a passenger who’s not paying attention, they could end up opening the door right into the concrete filled pole protecting the pump. Ask me how I know !!!
Sorry for not staying on topic.
Oh yeah! That passenger would be walking after that!

OP
OP
ZXMustang

ZXMustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Everyone has touched upon the Camaro's interior, visibility, and limited back seat & tight trunk space so I won't bother.

Some background so you understand my perspective-
My 1st 'muscle' car was a '78 Z28. Loved the heck out of that car as it was my entry vehicle into American muscle but in truth, that car was a pig- large, wieldy handling, questionable brakes and an engine barely putting out 200 HP, although it sounded great. In '88 I bought my first Stang, an LX 5.0, in gray- a real sleeper- and never looked back. It's been 8 Stangs in a row ever since.

When I recently decided it was time to trade the '09 GT500, I researched Camaros, Challengers and, of course, Stangs. I like them all and recognize each has its strengths/weaknesses/flaws in design. But I need a car as a daily driver, as my cars, even tho they get lightly modded, never see the track in any way.

The Challenger is a super cool car & I could really see owning a wide body R/T Scatpack. Plenty of space, power, handling & performance capabilities for me. My only issue is that it's physically too large a vehicle for my tastes. It would take up too much of my garage and I hate parking the car outside.

The Camaro also calls to me- love that engine, its handling package. I also think it's a sharp looking car. Pretty much any model in the LT1, 1SS or 2SS would more than serve my purposes pretty well. But by the time I get done checking all the boxes, it also becomes a bit pricey for my wallet and flatly, I simply hate the lack of rearview visibility.

After 30+ years in Stangs, I'm most familiar with the model but honestly, the S550's appearance has never grabbed me. It's that damn front end, especially on my Bullitt- looks like a goldfish's mouth. The rest of the car- the quality of its build, the tightness of the package, its overall performance won me over...again. So the decision was not the difficult.

Honestly, I don't think you could go wrong w/any of the modern day interpretations of America's remaining pony/muscle cars. It's just a matter of your preferences.
Good luck!
Lee
Yeah hearing an LT1 with a big cam and headers is magical. And FYI, Chevy solved the rear visibility problem with the rearview mirror camera now. Instead of a conventional rearview mirror, its now a complete screen that shows a rear camera image. And its awesome.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
considering fully half of all cars have it on the other side... I don't know if there's an industry agreement to do so 50/50 on their designs or what. It seems too evenly distributed to be accidental since "obviously" it should be on the left in USA and right in UK.
It's OK on the UK mustangs, they put the gas cap in the middle :like: Oh hang about that's the shit fake one that we all want to take off anyway ... :cwl:

Joking aside I've had a mixture over the years and never seen it as a problem, never mind for it to be a deal breaker ...

Four cars in the household at the moment, all have the cap on the left / UK passenger / 'wrong' side :like:

WD :like:

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
The other thing about Cam er ohs I don't really like is the actual portals to get into things. The hood and trunk both have smaller holes to get into the slightly larger areas. The trunk can be as big as you want but if the opening is small, how can you cram that full sized fridge into your ever practical sports car? Wondering if that's why the Cam er oh is tighter around a track, more solid body panels?

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
The other thing about Cam er ohs I don't really like is the actual portals to get into things. The hood and trunk both have smaller holes to get into the slightly larger areas. The trunk can be as big as you want but if the opening is small, how can you cram that full sized fridge into your ever practical sports car? Wondering if that's why the Cam er oh is tighter around a track, more solid body panels?
I though the S550 had a stiff body and the problem was with all the rubber isolating the suspension / running gear from it ?

WD :like:

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah hearing an LT1 with a big cam and headers is magical. And FYI, Chevy solved the rear visibility problem with the rearview mirror camera now. Instead of a conventional rearview mirror, its now a complete screen that shows a rear camera image. And its awesome.
yeah they sound badass, but not as badass as 8000 rpm wot sounds especially when blown..

This Mustang Surprised Chevy guys at chevy shop in my state: