Sponsored

Who will swap for the new 7.3 V8!

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
Its obvious that Ford will use electric motors to save the day..........
So we'll just wait for the aftermarket to do it for them.
Nearly 3 decades of using a FWD derived V-8......
Sponsored

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
I see you missed my point again. I’m not denying that the 7.3 could potentially be rated higher than the 5.0. What I’ve been saying is that if it does, then it WON’T be the low-end torque monster you think it will be. Or vice versa. Let that soak in for a minute.

Yes, yes I get it! But like I said I don’t care about horsepower numbers but used the high side to bother the fan boys who’s identity is tied to a car motor’s output.

I am fine with 400 horsepower if the torque is north of 500.

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Its obvious that Ford will use electric motors to save the day..........
So we'll just wait for the aftermarket to do it for them.
Nearly 3 decades of using a FWD derived V-8......

Even an old school guy like me was watching the Tesla Model Y reveal live as it impacts so many business in so many ways.

But while the Coyote lovers criticize the fox body generation, their engine is also long in the tooth...

And I would be very surprised if the new 7.3 was designed without any consideration for street car performance - with modifications - in the aftermarket. Designing an engine is expensive enough so giving the design the agility to be several things makes sense. We shall find out shortly but this motor could be the base for some interesting motors in the aftermarket.

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
I am a big fan of overhead cam engines , but I still appreciate the pushrod engines. The 7.3 liter V8 Ford will be putting in the F250 and larger trucks appears to be a state of the art pushrod engine design. The heads look like they will have good air flow. The combustion chambers look really good. The big thing about the pushrod engines is the fact most racers have worked with pushrod engines and find them easier to work on. The 7.3 liter V8 is not as wide as the overhead cam engines so it will be easier to find clearance for the headers when the engine is swapped into a car. I would suspect Ford performance would like to see people move to a more modern engine than the 429 cobra jet engine.

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
Even an old school guy like me was watching the Tesla Model Y reveal live as it impacts so many business in so many ways.

But while the Coyote lovers criticize the fox body generation, their engine is also long in the tooth...

And I would be very surprised if the new 7.3 was designed without any consideration for street car performance - with modifications - in the aftermarket. Designing an engine is expensive enough so giving the design the agility to be several things makes sense. We shall find out shortly but this motor could be the base for some interesting motors in the aftermarket.
The 7.3 was designed with performance applications in mind.
The Ford rep in the video hinted at this fact or otherwise he would've never brought the subject up.

If Ford was only building this motor as a work mule?
The 6.7 Scorpion platform would've served them better by spinning off a gas derivative.
The two motors could've shared much of the same tooling.
Same water pump, alternator and such.

But instead we got a entirely new engine with Brian Wolfe of all people watching over it's development.

The 7.3 has the potential to be a huge hit.
Ford needs this.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
The 7.3 was designed with performance applications in mind.
The Ford rep in the video hinted at this fact or otherwise he would've never brought the subject up.

If Ford was only building this motor as a work mule?
The 6.7 Scorpion platform would've served them better by spinning off a gas derivative.
The two motors could've shared much of the same tooling.
Same water pump, alternator and such.

But instead we got a entirely new engine with Brian Wolfe of all people watching over it's development.

The 7.3 has the potential to be a huge hit.
Ford needs this.

YOU WIN!!!!!

When you check up on the guy and you find descriptions of him like “Legendary Drag Racer Brian Wolfe” so it would be out of character but also a matter of pride to ensure that this engine could be a beast at the drag strip. I wonder who named it GODZILLA?

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I will go to a 1.5 million home to have supper and use the wifi to maybe watch a Cleetus McFarland video, fall asleep on the floor in the basement. Then I either spend the night there or drive to this other I million dollar house and fall asleep on the floor in the guest room beside a computer still running with the lights on. Nobody else lives there but me. Oh, there is a master bedroom with all the fixings but I keep my washed cloths on the bed so I never sleep there.

Then if I didn’t sleep in house one I drive back there and eat breakfast with my dad who lives there. That right there is nuts.

I bought the V6 because my car broke down on Saturday and I needed a car for Monday and bought it from fleet sales Monday morning and the fleet manager said I could pick it up after lunch. Whole thing took 10 minutes. At the time I didn’t give two shits about anything performance car related. Hanging around here revitalized the interest in cars.

But I’m not suckered into having my identity tied to the car I drive. Nor am I going to buy a brand new car and then replace parts with other brand new parts just because! I’m also not going to develop a relationship with that crook call a “dealer” and I’m not going to trade in a one year old car for a new one that has one or two changes. What is wrong with some of you guys?

Getting a big block is just fulfilling a dream I had when a was younger. The cost is secondary. I buy it to be true to my younger self if that makes sense. I’m not stupid enough to do this on my own. I’ll let someone else do it and when they hurt for cash get it cheaper or convert my car on the cheap. I will get the conversion cheaper than you guys who are in to for emotional reasons. But basically this is just to scratch an itch

Otherwise I’ll just get a base Corvette and keep driving the V6...
I can't believe this thread is still going on. Also, why are you just making stuff up on the fly? Does it make you feel good?

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
What I hear is a company man trying to make a boring work motor sound exciting to generate buzz using words.

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
I can't believe this thread is still going on. Also, why are you just making stuff up on the fly? Does it make you feel good?

Huh?

If you check my past posts way back you will find it is entirely consistent and I always buy base model cars (except once when I smashed up a base 5.0 fox body and replaced it with a loaded 5.0 - see, I’m honest) The only thing new is this 7.3 motor. I don’t have any connections at Ford so I take the dude at his word that he oversaw development and if so the GODZILLA motor should be a real force to be reckoned with.

Why is the thread so long? Who cares as long as it’s interesting. So this dude states Brian Wolfe oversaw development and the guy is a noted drag racer and may have given us some love while designing the motor. Yup, nothing to see here! Lock the thread as it’s a car enthusiast forum!

We can’t have this! Ban Fatguy!

Last edited:

Sponsored

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
Ford (Brian Wolfe) wanted a piece of the LS/LT Chevy action.......this is the true reason why this engine is built the way it is.