Sponsored

Who will swap for the new 7.3 V8!

Stonehauler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, 550i
Might have had something to do with the fact that it was geared so tall it could have done 300MPH if not for aerodynamic drag.

And it was a '72, first year for the smogged-to-death, detuned-for-unleaded-fuel, turds.
All very true, but there is something to be said about one thing in the article about designing for real world economy and not standardized tests.

I routinely get turbo 4s when I take my car in for service. My car is a turbo 8. I get worse gas mileage on the 4 then I do with the 8. Mostly because I expect some level of performance out of my vehicles, and meeting that threshold on an 8 requires less pressing on the accelerator.

I think Top Gear did an episode once where they had a Prius go around the track as fast as it could, and had an M3 do nothing but follow it. The M3 ended up with higher mileage than the Prius. I have the same issue with smaller engines.

EDIT - one small correction to you..the '72 Tbirds (and '73s) used regular. If you used unleaded, you needed to put in a lead additive
Sponsored

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
I can’t believe I didn’t think of this earlier. The ford 7.3 is remarkably similar to another engine: the 7.0 LS7. Both are pushrod, 2-valve, port injected engines with similar intake manifold geometry. Yea, the 7.3 has a 5% displacement edge, but the 7.0 will have a 5-10% compression advantage (doubtful the truck will have 11/1).

Now here’s the interesting part: 505 hp at 6200 rpm (7000 rpm redline), and 475 ftlb at 4800 rpm. Not exactly a low-end torque monster. Therefore, if the 7.3 makes anywhere near LS7 power, it will also have the high rpm LS7 rpm range. Say you want to lower it a bit? Lowering the LS7 power peak from 6200 to, say, 5000 rpm will also lower power output to around 405 hp, comfortably ahead of the 385 hp 6.2 but nowhere near 5.0 numbers. This will get you a torque peak around 3500 rpm. Want to move it down further and the hp will suffer even more.

And the price tag on this 7.0 liter engine is $14k, sans transmission, accessories, harness, ecm, or any other conversion parts.
Alright engineermike...

You guys care about horsepower more than I do.

I’ll put up a 7.3 horsepower number that’s larger than the Coyote Gen 3 just because it pisses you guys off but it means little to me. I just want gobs of torque.

But to each his own. I’m not anti Gen 3 Coyote - I just think the current engines QC when it comes to the plasma liners is shit and I simply don’t trust the engine. What’s the point of a spirited test drive when as soon as I drive it off the lot I start listening for possible ticks and piston slap? I don’t need that and my trusty V6 is so reliable, problems never even enter my mind anymore. I could swap it for a big block but the bar would have to be pretty high for a small block. And the current Coyote isn’t there yet just on the engine issues alone.

If they fix the problems maybe I’ll trade it in but I have a bad feeling about this. Plus listening to solid citizens doing nothing wrong and getting the shaft with a new motor scoring out the cylinder and facing BS from Ford they would rather avoid like the plague - who needs that!

Here is a guy I feel sorry for, salt of the earth and a solid citizen that gets screwed over by shitty quality control in the latest Coyote motors:

Anyway, my gang have all left for an expensive Chinese lunch buffet that I won’t be a part of because it will cost over 500 dollars. So I have time to catch up on things. The Tesla Model Y reveal was a drag but no news is good news where I am... :clap:

Last edited:

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
EDIT - one small correction to you..the '72 Tbirds (and '73s) used regular. If you used unleaded, you needed to put in a lead additive
Somewhat gray area, but they were built with drastically dropped compression versus earlier units to deal with the possibility of running the piss water unleaded at the time....

Back to late-model dinosaurs.

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
Erm, the Towncar and Crown Vic weren't FWD. Try again.

The 7.3 as it's designed would SUCK in a Mustang and would easily get outrun by a Coyote. With an aluminum block, a car-oriented cam, and shorter stroke (thus less displacement), yeah maybe it'd be good. But they're not doing that and they won't. The 7.3 in an F-150 would perform nicely but it'll never happen because of CAFE. The GM DOHC engine won't be NA, btw, you do know that right? You're not helping yourself with the stuck in the '60s thing.
But you can bet the Chevy will not share the mod motor's problems.
You can bet that N/A the GM design will win.
Already rated at 550hp........yes I've been keeping up on it.
Our best is 526hp and with a very soggy bottom end.
As for the 7.3 rehashed for Performance car usage just like the Mod motor?
Look no farther than the current LT1 found in the Camaro and compare times.
How about the 12 year old Challenger and the Hemi.........

No matter what venue you choose......I can make a solid case as to why the Mod Motor platform needs to go away.
I'd prefer a scaled up (Bore Spacing) version of the Coyote, but the 7.3 will do just fine.

You're right, Ford will never design a engine just for the Mustang.
But they might borrow one from a truck.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
You can bet that N/A the GM design will win.
Except it's not an NA engine, so I don't get what point you're trying to make here. It's 550 HP+ turbocharged.

Ford is not going to put the 7.3 in a Mustang. I will repeat it 1000 times, and there are a ton of good reasons not to.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Except it's not an NA engine, so I don't get what point you're trying to make here. It's 550 HP+ turbocharged.

Ford is not going to put the 7.3 in a Mustang. I will repeat it 1000 times, and there are a ton of good reasons not to.
No they probably won’t. Then again if there is much interest... But they said it would fit in the engine bay, that there probably woukd be conversions at SEMA. They never said the motor could not be converted for performance use.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
But they said it would fit in the engine bay
No, they specifically said it doesn't fit. Hacking into body panels to stuff it in doesn't count, and building new tooling for this engine isn't happening. You two guys have no idea what goes into packaging a powertrain into a production vehicle. Many of us on the forum have lived it/done it.

"And if you're wondering if it'll fit in a Mustang, Beltramo told us it's actually shorter in height and narrower than a Coyote V-8, but quite a bit longer thanks to much increased bore centers. It's possible then, but good luck doing so without having to cut into the firewall. And even if you could wedge this motor into a Mustang, it wouldn't be very good, because of its heavy cast iron block and low-revving nature. Stick with the Coyote, kids."
https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-ca...9/ford-super-duty-73-v8-engine-details-specs/

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
All my small block V8 s were iron blocks. Somehow I lived to tell the tale - Boo!!!!!

Loki-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium A10-3.55-400a
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe as I did look at the 2017 Mustang GT but could not find one in black. I originally just wanted transportation but you guys got me interested again so there is some truth there. The other truth is that I don’t trust the present 5.0 motor. If it was solid I’d probably be driving one right now. But this new option is intriguing.

For those still reading this try this out when you drive your car. Keep your eye on the tachometer and see where it’s at as you go about your day. Mine is at 1,200 in “D” so if you wanted a more powerful engine, one optimized for 1,200 rpm will give you the most bang for buck experience under your typical driving experience.

So I’m not blowing smoke up anyone’s ass wanting power under the conditions they use it. I have never redlined my engine once. So that power means nothing to me. Some here track their cars but I am talking to folk who just drive it around. So now you can have what you always wanted.

But yes it’s true, time will tell...
You want something optimized for 1,200 rpm buy a turbo diesel. This 7.3 is a fleet engine and would take quite a bit of work to run with a current 5.0. Remember when the V10 came out, Mustang fans drooled and what happened, the few that installed them figured out real quick it wasn't worth it.

You remember cars from back in the day differently than I do.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
No, they specifically said it doesn't fit. Hacking into body panels to stuff it in doesn't count, and building new tooling for this engine isn't happening. You two guys have no idea what goes into packaging a powertrain into a production vehicle. Many of us on the forum have lived it/done it.

"And if you're wondering if it'll fit in a Mustang, Beltramo told us it's actually shorter in height and narrower than a Coyote V-8, but quite a bit longer thanks to much increased bore centers. It's possible then, but good luck doing so without having to cut into the firewall. And even if you could wedge this motor into a Mustang, it wouldn't be very good, because of its heavy cast iron block and low-revving nature. Stick with the Coyote, kids."
https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-ca...9/ford-super-duty-73-v8-engine-details-specs/

They said it would fit in the Mustang but that part of the firewall may need to be altered. I figure a few inches folded back at the top centre. Hardly “hacking into body panels”. I saw some big engine conversions as a kid where holes had to be drilled into the fenders to change the spark plugs. That is a problem.

This isn’t.

I suppose we should not supercharge any Mustangs because the hood needed to be replaced with one that could clear the supercharger...

Boo...

Loki-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium A10-3.55-400a
Vehicle Showcase
I've seen some V6 owners come up with some pretty serious excuses, but this is just off the charts. Haven't lost this many brain cells while reading through a forum thread since the "I just ran the hose water through my Cobra block and now it won't start" days.

I just can't wrap my head around this nightmare of a project when there are running/driving classics with big block pushrod motors about 3 clicks away on Craigslist. :facepalm:
427 cammer or a full boat Boss 429 I would love to have in my '18 with unlimited funds for shits and giggles but I don't have shits and giggles money. Sad face.

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
You want something optimized for 1,200 rpm buy a turbo diesel. This 7.3 is a fleet engine and would take quite a bit of work to run with a current 5.0. Remember when the V10 came out, Mustang fans drooled and what happened, the few that installed them figured out real quick it wasn't worth it.

You remember cars from back in the day differently than I do.

If Ford starts building the engines you should be seeing the first reviews in about eight months.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I figure a few inches folded back at the top centre. Hardly “hacking into body panels”.
No, it'd be near middle of the car in the tunnel, and right inside where the brake booster is. You'd literally have to cut holes and patch right in front of where your right knee sits, and the passenger left knee sits. I'll repeat: you have no clue on how this stuff goes together in production, and every time you make statements like the above, you show it more. I think I'll take my own advice and stop arguing with people who ignore facts and reality.

Good day and RIP to this thread (hopefully).

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Alright engineermike...

You guys care about horsepower more than I do.

I’ll put up a 7.3 horsepower number that’s larger than the Coyote Gen 3 just because it pisses you guys off but it means little to me. I just want gobs of torque.

But to each his own. I’m not anti Gen 3 Coyote - I just think the current engines QC when it comes to the plasma liners is shit and I simply don’t trust the engine. What’s the point of a spirited test drive when as soon as I drive it off the lot I start listening for possible ticks and piston slap? I don’t need that and my trusty V6 is so reliable, problems never even enter my mind anymore. I could swap it for a big block but the bar would have to be pretty high for a small block. And the current Coyote isn’t there yet just on the engine issues alone.

If they fix the problems maybe I’ll trade it in but I have a bad feeling about this. Plus listening to solid citizens doing nothing wrong and getting the shaft with a new motor scoring out the cylinder and facing BS from Ford they would rather avoid like the plague - who needs that!

Here is a guy I feel sorry for, salt of the earth and a solid citizen that gets screwed over by shitty quality control in the latest Coyote motors:

. :clap:

My friend, you sound like you are having a mid-life crisis & really want a modified Mustang, but afraid.

The mustang you want it the current Mustang GT, with a supercharger. There are MANY reputable companies that will sleeve your block and upgrade the engine components for those who want axle snapping TQ down low. You just have to pay for it.

You... <---- just don't want to pay for it.
Sponsored