Things With Wheels
~300ccs, LOL.
Sponsored

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
Yeah, why don't you go give them the many, many millions of dollars it'd take to retool Windsor assembly and Romeo for a product that is a dying breed. Maybe they'll do it, just for a couple hundred dudes who refuse to leave the 60s.

Gen 3 Coyote with a blower can push 850-900 whp. Twin turbo setups even more. What else you want?
GM is going to be offering this in OEM form.....
Mopar is working on doing the same thing......

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
Wanting a decent bore size and bearing width is refusing to leave the 1960's........wow.

JPSTANG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, so I have damn near read the whole thing and haven't laughed this hard in a while. What I have read so far (correct me if I'm wrong) 7.3 big tourqe- low rpm, truck motor, blah blah blah, nostalgia nostalgia, cause I never had a big block as a kid.... now with saying that I understand where he is coming from, my brother is 61 and we have these arguments all the time between new and old / big and small displacement. I say if he wants to do-it-yourself document your success or like wise failure! I think we are all just a bit curious as to what would come of it, Lol. in the mean time end the thread till it is out and done so I can go back to real life!! Update when your done, and good luck with all that. P.s. I am not looking for troll responders take it for what it is, one guys idea work or not it's his money, same thing I tell my brother.

Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Rumors of the death of the ICE are greatly exaggerated.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Wanting a decent bore size and bearing width is refusing to leave the 1960's........wow.
Can you explain how the Coyote is lacking, when the Gen 2+ have proven to be capable of handling 800+ HP without issue? With a tune only on a Gen 3 you're at 100 hp/L. Tune and minor, easy bolt-on airflow mods and you're there on a Gen 2.

The leaving the 60s comment is because there are a few that seem to think there's only one way do it (bigger), and that was the way it was done back in that era. It's ignoring all sorts of advances in volumetric efficiency (something a 2V cam-in-block engine will never be great at in comparison) and thermal efficiency that make the mass and size of an old big block obsolete.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Rumors of the death of the ICE are greatly exaggerated.
Correct, but not of the NA V8, particularly in higher volume cars (50,000+). There will be minimal investment by all makes in engines like this, and they'll slowly shift into a high dollar performance and/or luxury only vehicle space, where the margins can pay for it.

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
Can you explain how the Coyote is lacking, when the Gen 2+ have proven to be capable of handling 800+ HP without issue? With a tune only on a Gen 3 you're at 100 hp/L. Tune and minor, easy bolt-on airflow mods and you're there on a Gen 2.

The leaving the 60s comment is because there are a few that seem to think there's only one way do it (bigger), and that was the way it was done back in that era. It's ignoring all sorts of advances in volumetric efficiency (something a 2V cam-in-block engine will never be great at in comparison) and thermal efficiency that make the mass and size of an old big block obsolete.
Ford refuses to build a 800hp variant.......quoting reliability issues.
They made this statement back when the Demon made it's debut.

Face it, the F-150 and the Mustang would benefit from increasing the bore centers on the "Coyote".
Or they could just switch over to the 7.3 and have a much cheaper and robust motor.

One thing is for sure, the Coyote will be a footnote in history once GM's DOHC V-8 comes to market.
You can count on it not having the Coyote's biggest problems.
Bores that are too small.
Bearings that are too narrow.

Bigger bore will allow for a wider valve package and larger valves.
Better cooling.

Wider bearings will allow for greater stress and durability.

Ford has been stuck on this FWD based block since it was on the drawing board in the mid '80's.
Making it's debut in 1991.....Lincoln Towncar.

My good friend, it's time for a upgrade or switch to the 7.3

28 years of being stuck in the past.
That's right, the mod motor and it's most major flaw has been with us for 28 long years.
Ity's long overdue for Ford to invest.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
.Lincoln Towncar
Erm, the Towncar and Crown Vic weren't FWD. Try again.

The 7.3 as it's designed would SUCK in a Mustang and would easily get outrun by a Coyote. With an aluminum block, a car-oriented cam, and shorter stroke (thus less displacement), yeah maybe it'd be good. But they're not doing that and they won't. The 7.3 in an F-150 would perform nicely but it'll never happen because of CAFE. The GM DOHC engine won't be NA, btw, you do know that right? You're not helping yourself with the stuck in the '60s thing.

Sponsored

Laststandard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Vehicle Showcase
I can’t believe I didn’t think of this earlier. The ford 7.3 is remarkably similar to another engine: the 7.0 LS7. Both are pushrod, 2-valve, port injected engines with similar intake manifold geometry. Yea, the 7.3 has a 5% displacement edge, but the 7.0 will have a 5-10% compression advantage (doubtful the truck will have 11/1).

Now here’s the interesting part: 505 hp at 6200 rpm (7000 rpm redline), and 475 ftlb at 4800 rpm. Not exactly a low-end torque monster.
2015-Chevy-Camaro-Z28-vs-Shelby-GT350-dyno-plot.jpg

LS7 vs Voodoo.. yeah, definitely not a low end torque monster

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
2015-Chevy-Camaro-Z28-vs-Shelby-GT350-dyno-plot.jpg

LS7 vs Voodoo.. yeah, definitely not a low end torque monster
Yep, Voodoo cams plus Voodoo manifold means sacrificing the bottom for the top. It just means you stay ~1500 rpm higher in the GT350 than the Z/28 when you're using it. My Coyote feels significantly stronger than the Voodoo in regular street driving but on track that engine is lovely and very powerful.

Stonehauler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, 550i
I would have loved to put the Godzilla engine in my father's old T-bird (72 edition). It had a 429, but that thing just didn't have any power what-so-ever.

That said, my mother had it restored, then my brother got it and sold it. Oh well.

Laststandard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Vehicle Showcase
Yep, Voodoo cams plus Voodoo manifold means sacrificing the bottom for the top. It just means you stay ~1500 rpm higher in the GT350 than the Z/28 when you're using it. My Coyote feels significantly stronger than the Voodoo in regular street driving but on track that engine is lovely and very powerful.
Oh I know, I was just replying to the low torque comments. I tried for a while to find an 18+ stock coyote dyno graph but just couldn't dig one up.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I would have loved to put the Godzilla engine in my father's old T-bird (72 edition). It had a 429, but that thing just didn't have any power what-so-ever.

That said, my mother had it restored, then my brother got it and sold it. Oh well.
Might have had something to do with the fact that it was geared so tall it could have done 300MPH if not for aerodynamic drag.

And it was a '72, first year for the smogged-to-death, detuned-for-unleaded-fuel, turds.
Sponsored