Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
My dad (older than you) isn't a car enthusiast and sees that kind of RPM far more than a few times a year. Most 60 yr old car enthusiasts I know are still actually enjoying the car (going to racetracks, enjoying the occasional highway blast, etc). I don't get the garage-queen dad's who never drive the cars, and when they do, only to car shows and never push them beyond a snails pace. What a waste of a machine. Buy a picture of a car if you're going to do that.

The truck I’m in right now forbids rpms above 1550 so I’m now at a screaming 1400 rpm. Cars are faster than they need for all but racers who would be better with a GT350. When you have tons of torque rpms become meaningless. I know this is an odd idea but if you don’t long for torque you don’t long for horsepower.

Unless you race...

Bad boys, bad boys / whatcha gonna do...
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
The truck I’m in right now forbids rpms above 1550 so I’m now at a screaming 1400 rpm. Cars are faster than they need for all but racers who would be better with a GT350. When you have tons of torque rpms become meaningless. I know this is an odd idea but if you don’t long for torque you don’t long for horsepower.

Unless you race...
You're comparing pizza and blueberries.

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
You're comparing pizza and blueberries.

People race heavy vehicles. Don’t know who but they do...

They race with torque - the next car movement.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
How, just how did this thread get 13 pages? Lol. The idea that this would make a good engine for a Mustang is laughable.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
More like this ... and governed to 2000 RPM max.

_SX23599.jpg

Totally cool as we are governed on the highway but we still have our moves. Hint: you make the moves on the hills!

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10

Unless you race...
Sounds like you need to stick with trucks. You apparently love them so much you want to turn a mustang into one. Every job has a proper tool, though. I think someone called it earlier....you have a bit of an inferiority complex watching all the 5.0 guys have all the fun, so you talk big like you're going to put a 7.3 in a mustang even though we've all figured out you'll never actually do it.

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Sounds like you need to stick with trucks. You apparently love them so much you want to turn a mustang into one. Every job has a proper tool, though. I think someone called it earlier....you have a bit of an inferiority complex watching all the 5.0 guys have all the fun, so you talk big like you're going to put a 7.3 in a mustang even though we've all figured out you'll never actually do it.

Of course you are right.

After 33 years of driving small block V8s I never had any fun. The forbidden fruit. Economic disparity. It’s not that I couldn’t go to the dealer and drive one off the lot.

My life is so sad...

I am tired of life...

Yah / You got my number / you are so right ... :crying:

EDIT: you actually had me looking into a go fund me campaign to give Fatguy a Mustang G T. - But somebody might put some money in there.

Another creative idea gone sadly awry.

Last edited:

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
Go drive a 2018+ with an M6. You might just be shocked by the low-end grunt.....I was. The Gen3 motor has 12/1 compression and TiVCT and the M6 will let you put a heavy load on it in high gears (A10 will give you a "dissatisfying" downshift). It makes 75% of it's torque at 2000 rpm, something that can't be said for the 2-valve PFI motors. I seriously can't believe you would even consider spending $30-40k on an engine conversion when you've never even driven a 2018 5.0 and, to your own admission, have never even floored it in a Coyote. If all you've ever driven is OTR trucks, a v6 mustang, old SBC's and 302 fox bodies, any mustang with a Coyote will blow you away.....but I suggest actually driving an '18.

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Ok you win!

I’ll drive the GT.

Then a Camaro SS.

Then a Tesla Performance.

And drive home in a base Corvette Stingray.

And keep daily driving the V6.

(The reality is that it would be cool to own a new big block. Just checking that box of things I wanted. Why can’t anyone figure that out?)

Sponsored

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
(The reality is that it would be cool to own a new big block. Just checking that box of things I wanted. Why can’t anyone figure that out?)
You’re right! It would be cool. It would be cool in the same way that the 1st gen mustang with the 6.8 liter v10 was cool. But that has not been your argument!

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
LOL, i have no doubt some one, some where is going to get a hold of this engine for drag racing. No doubt someone will take the block bore it as big as they can, throw in a stupid expensive forged crank and rods and pistons with a special cam and intake and have all the head work done and everything. because they own a race shop and can... and it will probably make those numbers you are dreaming about in your head... for the rest of us its a truck engine that a coyote will out perform.. but by all means i bet that race shop will love to sell you the stuff to make your dreams come true.

Also your not the oldest member in the group. you keep acting like ever guy here almost in depends diapers is craving some big block to reminiscence on our youth, i and i believe most others love the performance of today's engines over the classic stuff we grew up with... and when i miss or want the bug block torque i jump in my chevelle.. but i sure don't want that engine characteristics in my mustang

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
LOL, i have no doubt some one, some where is going to get a hold of this engine for drag racing. No doubt someone will take the block bore it as big as they can, throw in a stupid expensive forged crank and rods and pistons with a special cam and intake and have all the head work done and everything. because they own a race shop and can... and it will probably make those numbers you are dreaming about in your head... for the rest of us its a truck engine that a coyote will out perform.. but by all means i bet that race shop will love to sell you the stuff to make your dreams come true.

Also your not the oldest member in the group. you keep acting like ever guy here almost in depends diapers is craving some big block to reminiscence on our youth, i and i believe most others love the performance of today's engines over the classic stuff we grew up with... and when i miss or want the bug block torque i jump in my chevelle.. but i sure don't want that engine characteristics in my mustang

Yah I’m still 59 but not for long.

Anyway we are running out of race track on this thread. So here goes:

What if, just saying, it wasn’t me wanting a 5.0 but, rather, guys here that truly love their cars and engines and can’t fathom why some guy like me isn’t in on that game.

I would posit that more than a few folk like me around here - but the dude drives a V6! If I had a V8 everything would be right in the world as the cool people drive the V8s. Am I cool? Women in their early 20s seem to think so and it has nothing to do with cars. It’s the other stuff I do...

But if you need my endorsement to make you happy here goes;

The 465 horsepower 2018 and up 5.0 motor is the best Mustang V8 Ford has ever made. I wish I had one but I bought a V6 and quite frankly I am cool with that. I was an asshole back in the day when I drove V8s hard and made fun of the V6 and I4 guys. This is my penance! Plus the car is great! So here I am. But I may bend in a year or so if the big block swap is a reliable reality.

So there you go! Happy now! There is probably more than a bit of truth there on both sides. But man ————14 pages...

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
I can’t believe I didn’t think of this earlier. The ford 7.3 is remarkably similar to another engine: the 7.0 LS7. Both are pushrod, 2-valve, port injected engines with similar intake manifold geometry. Yea, the 7.3 has a 5% displacement edge, but the 7.0 will have a 5-10% compression advantage (doubtful the truck will have 11/1).

Now here’s the interesting part: 505 hp at 6200 rpm (7000 rpm redline), and 475 ftlb at 4800 rpm. Not exactly a low-end torque monster. Therefore, if the 7.3 makes anywhere near LS7 power, it will also have the high rpm LS7 rpm range. Say you want to lower it a bit? Lowering the LS7 power peak from 6200 to, say, 5000 rpm will also lower power output to around 405 hp, comfortably ahead of the 385 hp 6.2 but nowhere near 5.0 numbers. This will get you a torque peak around 3500 rpm. Want to move it down further and the hp will suffer even more.

And the price tag on this 7.0 liter engine is $14k, sans transmission, accessories, harness, ecm, or any other conversion parts.

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
I can’t believe I didn’t think of this earlier. The ford 7.3 is remarkably similar to another engine: the 7.0 LS7. Both are pushrod, 2-valve, port injected engines with similar intake manifold geometry. Yea, the 7.3 has a 5% displacement edge, but the 7.0 will have a 5-10% compression advantage (doubtful the truck will have 11/1).

Now here’s the interesting part: 505 hp at 6200 rpm (7000 rpm redline), and 475 ftlb at 4800 rpm. Not exactly a low-end torque monster. Therefore, if the 7.3 makes anywhere near LS7 power, it will also have the high rpm LS7 rpm range. Say you want to lower it a bit? Lowering the LS7 power peak from 6200 to, say, 5000 rpm will also lower power output to around 405 hp, comfortably ahead of the 385 hp 6.2 but nowhere near 5.0 numbers. This will get you a torque peak around 3500 rpm. Want to move it down further and the hp will suffer even more.

And the price tag on this 7.0 liter engine is $14k, sans transmission, accessories, harness, ecm, or any other conversion parts.

Really - They are literally revealing the Tesla Model Y at this moment and you are posting here?
Sponsored