Whipple Supercharger tick?

KT3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay m
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Hey guys! Quick question for you.. I attached a video below of a very fast ticking noise that I started to notice as I was arriving home.

2019 Mustang GT - Gen 5 Whipple 3.0

From a little research online, there could be something loose that needs tightening — and apparently it’s 3 bolts?

But also when I shared this in a Mustang forum on FB, some dude said it’s a bearing issue within the supercharger lol. So completely minimal problem to absolute giant problem.

Curious to know everyone’s thoughts.

Sponsored

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
If that’s indeeed the blower gear case emitting that sound, definitely needs attention.

OP
OP
KT3

KT3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay m
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
If that’s indeeed the blower gear case emitting that sound, definitely needs attention.
Could you explain what that is and how that issue comes about?

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Could you explain what that is and how that issue comes about?
The gear case drives the screws. The gear case houses the gears and bearings. When they are sad, they make an unhappy noise.

mejohn50

Intergalactic Snail
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
slow junk
Loosen the spring tensioner while it’s running and see if the noise goes away or improves at all.

Mine had a similar noise, though not as loud, that required a rebuild. I could make the noise go away by loosening the spring tensioner while it was running.

Whipple didn’t give me many details when I sent it in, but the service sheet said they replaced all the bearings and some other drive couplers. I’m speculating it was the bearings on the input shaft based on the noise changing as the belt tension changed.

Also, out of curiosity, when did you get your Whipple kit?

Last edited:

Sponsored

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Mine made a similar noise. One of the smooth idler pulleys had some play in it, so Whipple sent me a replacement. That did not fix the noise. I pulled the belt and retorqued all pulleys. The main blower pulley was not totally tight. Tightened down the four blower pulley bolts and the noise went away. The noise has not returned since. Hopefully that’s all that is going on with yours.

My thread with a video and some info here: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/is-my-whipple-dying-what-is-this-noise.174126/

OP
OP
KT3

KT3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay m
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Loosen the spring tensioner while it’s running and see if the noise goes away or improves at all.

Mine had a similar noise, though not as loud, that required a rebuild. I could make the noise go away by loosening the spring tensioner while it was running.

Whipple didn’t give me many details when I sent it in, but the service sheet said they replaced all the bearings and some other drive couplers. I’m speculating it was the bearings on the input shaft based on the noise changing as the belt tension changed.

Also, out of curiosity, when did you get your Whipple kit?
3 years ago - only had like maybe 10k Km’s on it
Sponsored