Sponsored

Is my Whipple dying? What is this noise?

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Last fall I noticed a strange noise under the hood while the car was idling. I took the main drive belt off and it went away. I checked all the pulleys and found one of the provided Whipple smooth idlers had a lot of play in it. I sent Whipple a video of the noise and showing the play with the idler. They sent me a new smooth idler pulley. I had a trans issue at this same time and ended up parking the car for the winter.

I fixed the trans issue this weekend and changed the suspected bad idler pulley. Test driving the car this morning and the noise is still there….if not worse now. Is this the blower making this noise? At startup it is usually quieter or sometimes not even there, but as you drive a bit it always comes back. I have like 2000 miles on this gen5 Whipple.

It really gets loud at the 12 second mark:
Sponsored

Last edited:

NJMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Trackhawk-2" Kooks, pully, CAI, cat back
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like bearings maybe?

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
Are the bolts on the pulley still tight? If so, then maybe rotors touching something? How many miles on the supercharger?

OP
OP
J17GT

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
2000 miles on the supercharger. I just pulled the belt to inspect all the pulleys and they seem fine. Pulled the tensioner and it seems fine too. Reinstalled everything and checked the blower pulley - was able to snug up those 4 bolts just a bit. I just drove 5 miles and no sign of the noise. Strange…going to keep driving it.

I would think if the blower had a serious bearing problem it would make this noise all the time?

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
Must have been the pulley bolts, glad that worked.

Sponsored

OP
OP
J17GT

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Yeah, crossing my fingers it doesn't come back. At least it's most likely not the blower, so if it does come back I'll figure it out.

OP
OP
J17GT

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Hopefully yours hasn't returned and doesn't evolve into this:
UGH! That sure sounds quite similar to the noise mine was making. My noise has not returned...yet. Probably 200ish more miles since I posted last. Not feeling great about it now after hearing yours...

What is the history on yours? Did you already send the blower back to whipple?

Sponsored

2018S550GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
UGH! That sure sounds quite similar to the noise mine was making. My noise has not returned...yet. Probably 200ish more miles since I posted last. Not feeling great about it now after hearing yours...

What is the history on yours? Did you already send the blower back to whipple?
Car was parked from 12/24 until 3/14 while I was waiting on clutches for the transmission. First time I ever heard it was when we were loading it on the trailer. The shop talked to Whipple and was told there was nothing to worry about, it was just bearing chatter. Got the car back on 3/18 and it wasn't doing it then so I thought it was okay. Then for the next two weeks, it would intermittently do it. I stopped driving it then because I figured it was more than what they said it was.

Whipple has it now, and says it needs to be rebuilt (couplers wearing, seals worn, and bearings failing) and the actuator has to be replaced.

OP
OP
J17GT

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Wow…that’s disappointing. Are they covering the rebuild? I’m crossing my fingers here my noise doesn’t come back.

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Wait. So Whipple saw and heard your video and said it was nothing to worry about? You sent it in and then it needs a big rebuild? I’m a little disappointed they said it was fine...

Any warranty coverage or all out of pocket? How many miles on it? Pushed hard or “normal”?

How long for the rebuild? Hopefully they can push it out quick for you!