2016 Gt whipple Gen 5 ticking noise

Oram4299

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oscar
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang GT
I have a 2016 mustang gt and i just installed a Gen 5 whipple i have now put 1000 miles on it i drove it and parked it no issues or noises went to start it the next day and i heard a horrible ticking noise I’ve uploaded the video to you tube
I removed the belts noise is still there, removed the oil fill cap to see if the noise would get louder and not the case. I’m at a loss but before i tear in to it this weekend want to see if anyone has had a similar issue? Any help or insite would be appreciated
Sponsored

Fatevilmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang GT in Grabber Blue
Have you dynoed ? I’m looking to see what power a 17 coyote with a Gen 5 Whipple setup make to the wheels

Sponsored

Wolvee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
I'm not sure why no one asked you about the specifics of your motor. Did you open up the motor for any reason for OPG's or timing components? That doesn't sound like the blower but rather Timing.

Even the bad whipple rotor packs that chatter and hit (poking the bear) don't sound like that.

Who tuned it and what fuel did you use? What's your oil look like?

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Stock exhaust manifolds or LT’s? If LT’s, I’d have a good look to make sure there isn’t a leak.
A blown out gasket or weld can sound a LOT like rod knock.
Here’s my stage 3 gasket leak as an example. It started out sounding a lot more like what you have, but over time it escalated significantly.
D14677A9-A92C-4ADC-AE7C-F89C3A8111E6.jpeg

Kona 18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang
Never use those gaskets, they don't gold up. Better off re-using the stock MLS ones than using that type. Easier to just buy OE replacements too if you don't want to re-use the stock ones or if it's a high mileage car

Sponsored

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Never use those gaskets, they don't gold up. Better off re-using the stock MLS ones than using that type. Easier to just buy OE replacements too if you don't want to re-use the stock ones or if it's a high mileage car
Yup, learned that one the hard way.
Lasted 2 years/10,000miles :curse:

Kona 18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang
Yup, learned that one the hard way.
Lasted 2 years/10,000miles :curse:
Changing them isn't worth the hassle either, best to spent the $20 on a new OE set and not worry about them

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Changing them isn't worth the hassle either, best to spent the $20 on a new OE set and not worry about them
EXACTLY. I just figured they’d be fine, given that they were supplied with the headers.
Couldn’t have been more wrong.
The exhaust shop said the same as you did, a used OEM gasket is better than that junk.

OP
OP
Oram4299

Oram4299

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oscar
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang GT
I'm not sure why no one asked you about the specifics of your motor. Did you open up the motor for any reason for OPG's or timing components? That doesn't sound like the blower but rather Timing.

Even the bad whipple rotor packs that chatter and hit (poking the bear) don't sound like that.

Who tuned it and what fuel did you use? What's your oil look like?
So the engine is completely stock, the i changed the OPG and sprocket with triangle speed. The tune in the car was done by whipple and I’ve been running 91. Took the belt off so i did isolate it to the engine mostly heard on the driver side head.

lx347cd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT and 2003 Cobra
So the engine is completely stock, the i changed the OPG and sprocket with triangle speed. The tune in the car was done by whipple and I’ve been running 91. Took the belt off so i did isolate it to the engine mostly heard on the driver side head.
what oil are you running in the car? stock exhaust?
Sponsored