Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
do you have a video of this happening? Im curious to see what it looks like
I know for me the hiccup or buck is a random occurrence and would be very hard to get on video. The lesser hesitation is more common, but would not likely show much on video as it is more of a feeling when being connected as the driver. You more of feel it start to loose power slightly as it reaches 0 on the vac gauge at med loads lower rpm range.
Sponsored

Superman15

Shake n Bake
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium PP Oxford White
I know for me the hiccup or buck is a random occurrence and would be very hard to get on video. The lesser hesitation is more common, but would not likely show much on video as it is more of a feeling when being connected as the driver. You more of feel it start to loose power slightly as it reaches 0 on the vac gauge at med loads lower rpm range.
Totally agree. The bucking feeling is much, much less often, and much more sporadic than the hesitation/hiccup. I can go up the same hill at the same speed, same RPM, and maybe duplicate the bucking feeling once out of 5-6 tries. Whereas the hesitation/hiccup I can duplicate 9 out of 10 times. I have taught myself to work around it, throttle wise for the most part. While the hesitation annoys me... when I go WOT that frustration can't help but leave my body very quickly. As it pulls like a mother... lol

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Furthermore I would describe that there is a feeling of power loss in this transition area at 0 vac to boost at med loads. So even without the more common stumble and less common buck or hiccup, there seems to be a feeling of power loss or a short platue when accelerating at med loads. To me it feels like it's pulling nicely and when vacuum is between -20 -5, and as it nears 0 it looses power slightly. To me and I'm just guessing here, seems it takes a second to work through the bypass closing and fueling is getting confused.

I'm sure with the excellent service and care for the customer Whipple will find a resolution for the customers experiencing this issue. I have yet to get a data log of this issue to Whipple, but I will as soon as I can get a good log of the harder bucking issue.

EDIT: Did some more testing today and this issue described above as a plateau or power loss was not happening, but a couple times and very slight today. I edited the statement above where I said it was always there, so again its a random occurrence. I'm trying to be accurate here that's all.

Last edited:

desant89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Gt Premium Auto
Out of curiosity, is anyone with a custom tune having this issue? Just asking as it may help diagnose, and the fact that my Whipple will finally be here on Thursday so I would like to know what to expect. I will be getting a custom tune though.

Superman15

Shake n Bake
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
Furthermore I would describe that there is a constant feeling of power loss in this transition area at 0 vac to boost at med loads. So even without the more common stumble and less common buck or hiccup, there always seems to be a feeling of power loss or a short platue when accelerating at med loads. To me it feels like it's pulling nicely and does this everytime when vacuum is between -20 -5, and as it nears 0 it looses power slightly. To me and I'm just guessing here, seems it takes a second to work through the bypass closing and fueling is getting confused.

I'm sure with the excellent service and care for the customer Whipple will find a resolution for the customers experiencing this issue. I have yet to get a data log of this issue to Whipple, but I will as soon as I can get a good log of the harder bucking issue.
I feel that as well. It gives like a "flat" point. Mine seems to stay in that flat point tho, unless I adjust throttle. Then the flat point turns into the hesitation/hiccup. The flat point feels (to me) like there is zero boost... and then the boost and the hesitation kicks in right after I adjust the throttle a bit to get out of the flat point.

Do you notice any difference at all in accordance to the weather? I seem to feel mine more on colder rainy type days, than I do on nice warm sunny days. That might just be my imagination.. but I swear I have noticed it on several occasions to be worse on those crappy days.

Sponsored

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Have experienced this too but expect fuel variation to show some issues like this when running 3.625" pulley. Considering 3.7" for more margin on fuel quality issues.
Really wishing we had some live feedback for when detonation occurs to consider fuel quality issues.
Anyone w this getting worse that is NOT running an oil sep or catch can?

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Have experienced this too but expect fuel variation to show some issues like this when running 3.625" pulley. Considering 3.7" for more margin on fuel quality issues.
Really wishing we had some live feedback for when detonation occurs to consider fuel quality issues.
Anyone w this getting worse that is NOT running an oil sep or catch can?
I have an Ngauge that shows when th knocker is adding or pulling timing, I even have it set to change color to green when it adds timing and red when its pulling it. I have only seen it pull timing a couple of times when at full song at 6k though. To me it's not a fuel knock issue happening here, cyl pressure isn't that high and my Ngauge knocker is always adding timing when the issue occurs.

As far as the catch can, I did have an issue with my Whipple catch can being plumed backwards (my fault) and the duck bill nipple not letting enough oil to drain. This caused and oil in the intake issue, so maybe my plugs are fouled from oil:shrug: I'll check that for sure.

Superman15

Shake n Bake
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
I have an Ngauge that shows when th knocker is adding or pulling timing, I even have it set to change color to green when it adds timing and red when its pulling it. I have only seen it pull timing a couple of times when at full song at 6k though. To me it's not a fuel knock issue happening here, cyl pressure isn't that high and my Ngauge knocker is always adding timing when the issue occurs.

As far as the catch can, I did have an issue with my Whipple catch can being plumed backwards (my fault) and the duck bill nipple not letting enough oil to drain. This caused and oil in the intake issue, so maybe my plugs are fouled from oil:shrug: I'll check that for sure.
Just curious, what originally made you discover there was an issue with the way you set up the catch can? Did you smell oil? I have the Whipple catch can myself, but am very hopeful I have it on correctly. I coulnd't find instructions anyyywhere on how to install. So I just looked at pictures of others installed. My catch can install is pretty new though. The car ran the sameway long before the catch can was added. I check mine about every 2-3 days to ensure theres no leaks, and also to check the tightening ring in the middle. As I have found that to loosen up on several occasions. So now I just check it every couple days. I have also tried with knock sensor turned off and I have Octane adjust set to "off" on mine. Neither changes the outcome. I leave octane adjust off, and Dustin said no need to leave it on since I am getting 93 octane at all times.

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Just curious, what originally made you discover there was an issue with the way you set up the catch can? Did you smell oil? I have the Whipple catch can myself, but am very hopeful I have it on correctly. I coulnd't find instructions anyyywhere on how to install. So I just looked at pictures of others installed. My catch can install is pretty new though. The car ran the sameway long before the catch can was added. I check mine about every 2-3 days to ensure theres no leaks, and also to check the tightening ring in the middle. As I have found that to loosen up on several occasions. So now I just check it every couple days. I have also tried with knock sensor turned off and I have Octane adjust set to "off" on mine. Neither changes the outcome. I leave octane adjust off, and Dustin said no need to leave it on since I am getting 93 octane at all times.
In my testing for the sound tube modification I had taken off the inlet elbow and found oil. It was also draining into the air box. As far as the Whipple catch can yes it just screws on however its very important the two outlets are oriented properly and connected to the right lines. It's a 50/50 chance you get it right unless you look close at the body of the outlets you will see SC and the other PCV stamped into it. If you have the PCV side connects to the supercharger then you will suck from the bottom of the bowl and if the duck bill nipple isn't draining properly then you will suck big time oil into the intake.

As you can see the drawing shows the SC side draws from a hole at the top of the catch can, but if it's backwards it draws from the bottom metal cone filter and will drink oil all day.

Superman15

Shake n Bake
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
In my testing for the sound tube modification I had taken off the inlet elbow and found oil. It was also draining into the air box. As far as the Whipple catch can yes it just screws on however its very important the two outlets are oriented properly and connected to the right lines. It's a 50/50 chance you get it right unless you look close at the body of the outlets you will see SC and the other PCV stamped into it. If you have the PCV side connects to the supercharger then you will suck from the bottom of the bowl and if the duck bill nipple isn't draining properly then you will suck big time oil into the intake.

As you can see the drawing shows the SC side draws from a hole at the top of the catch can, but if it's backwards it draws from the bottom metal cone filter and will drink oil all day.

Thank you sir. Will be double checking mine today for sure.

Sponsored

Derek@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT 300A w/ Brembo's
What I see the belt doing in the video looks normal to me, just looks like manufacturing tolerances in the belt, they are not perfectly straight on the edges.

As far as the hesitation, speak with Whipple to see if they want to you do a quick data log.

Superman15

Shake n Bake
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)

I believe mine is on correctly. If standing over the passenger side front fender, looking straight at it, The nozzle on the left goes to the SC. That is the side stamped with SC. The nozzle on the right is going to the pcv, and the can is stamped pcv there. Unless the chrome nozzles that you screw into the catch can are each different also.. in that case I have no idea. I didn't notice those being different when I installed it.

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple

I believe mine is on correctly. If standing over the passenger side front fender, looking straight at it, The nozzle on the left goes to the SC. That is the side stamped with SC. The nozzle on the right is going to the pcv, and the can is stamped pcv there. Unless the chrome nozzles that you screw into the catch can are each different also.. in that case I have no idea. I didn't notice those being different when I installed it.
Yup you have it right. I would suggest after a long ride you immediately unscrew it and check the bowl to see if its draining properly.

Superman15

Shake n Bake
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)

Whipple SC

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0
Anyone who's seeing/feeling that surge/hesitation in low rpms, do you think it could be contributed to the stock TB motor running such a huge TB? I've noticed if you roll past that point in the throttle it doesn't hesitate. If you try to pin it to a specific throttle point just stabbing at it, it will. I feel like the tune is trying to work quicker than the throttle body can.

My feeling (opinion and speculation only of course) is that it's giving fuel quickly with the tune adjusting so fast, and the TB isn't catching up. So it might have a rich tip in on throttle and then lean out pulling it out of the hesitation. I feel like the logs would show that though. I haven't bought an x4 or ngauge to datalog yet though.
No, the TB was tested in the Ford lab and went through all normal testing, no issues. Any issue as of now is isolated (there are literally thousands without an issue) and as we investigate, is mechanical in nature, not calibration. From logs, pedal, throttle actual and throttle desired all follow each other exactly.
Sponsored