Whipple Final Concerns Post Install

Discussion in 'Forced Induction - 5.0L V8 Engine' started by Brilliant1, Apr 24, 2016.

1. Roh92cp

Roh92cp Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Shawn
    Vehicle(s):
    OW GTPP Whipple
    Rating:
    100%
    4   0   0
    I know for me the hiccup or buck is a random occurrence and would be very hard to get on video. The lesser hesitation is more common, but would not likely show much on video as it is more of a feeling when being connected as the driver. You more of feel it start to loose power slightly as it reaches 0 on the vac gauge at med loads lower rpm range.

2. Superman15

Superman15 Shake n Bake

First Name:
    Sam
    Vehicle(s):
    2016 Mustang GT Premium PP Oxford White
    Rating:
    100%
    1   0   0
    Totally agree. The bucking feeling is much, much less often, and much more sporadic than the hesitation/hiccup. I can go up the same hill at the same speed, same RPM, and maybe duplicate the bucking feeling once out of 5-6 tries. Whereas the hesitation/hiccup I can duplicate 9 out of 10 times. I have taught myself to work around it, throttle wise for the most part. While the hesitation annoys me... when I go WOT that frustration can't help but leave my body very quickly. As it pulls like a mother... lol

3. Roh92cp

First Name:
    Shawn
    Vehicle(s):
    OW GTPP Whipple
    Rating:
    100%
    4   0   0
    #18 Roh92cp, Apr 25, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
    Furthermore I would describe that there is a feeling of power loss in this transition area at 0 vac to boost at med loads. So even without the more common stumble and less common buck or hiccup, there seems to be a feeling of power loss or a short platue when accelerating at med loads. To me it feels like it's pulling nicely and when vacuum is between -20 -5, and as it nears 0 it looses power slightly. To me and I'm just guessing here, seems it takes a second to work through the bypass closing and fueling is getting confused.

I'm sure with the excellent service and care for the customer Whipple will find a resolution for the customers experiencing this issue. I have yet to get a data log of this issue to Whipple, but I will as soon as I can get a good log of the harder bucking issue.

EDIT: Did some more testing today and this issue described above as a plateau or power loss was not happening, but a couple times and very slight today. I edited the statement above where I said it was always there, so again its a random occurrence. I'm trying to be accurate here that's all.

Superman15 likes this.
  4. desant89

desant89 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2015 Gt Premium Auto
    0   0   0
    Out of curiosity, is anyone with a custom tune having this issue? Just asking as it may help diagnose, and the fact that my Whipple will finally be here on Thursday so I would like to know what to expect. I will be getting a custom tune though.

5. Superman15

Superman15 Shake n Bake

First Name:
    Sam
    Vehicle(s):
    Rating:
    100%
    1   0   0
    I feel that as well. It gives like a "flat" point. Mine seems to stay in that flat point tho, unless I adjust throttle. Then the flat point turns into the hesitation/hiccup. The flat point feels (to me) like there is zero boost... and then the boost and the hesitation kicks in right after I adjust the throttle a bit to get out of the flat point.

Do you notice any difference at all in accordance to the weather? I seem to feel mine more on colder rainy type days, than I do on nice warm sunny days. That might just be my imagination.. but I swear I have noticed it on several occasions to be worse on those crappy days.

6. sigintel

sigintel Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 GT
    Rating:
    100%
    1   0   0
    Have experienced this too but expect fuel variation to show some issues like this when running 3.625" pulley. Considering 3.7" for more margin on fuel quality issues.
    Really wishing we had some live feedback for when detonation occurs to consider fuel quality issues.
    Anyone w this getting worse that is NOT running an oil sep or catch can?

7. Roh92cp

First Name:
    Shawn
    Vehicle(s):
    OW GTPP Whipple
    Rating:
    100%
    4   0   0
    I have an Ngauge that shows when th knocker is adding or pulling timing, I even have it set to change color to green when it adds timing and red when its pulling it. I have only seen it pull timing a couple of times when at full song at 6k though. To me it's not a fuel knock issue happening here, cyl pressure isn't that high and my Ngauge knocker is always adding timing when the issue occurs.

As far as the catch can, I did have an issue with my Whipple catch can being plumed backwards (my fault) and the duck bill nipple not letting enough oil to drain. This caused and oil in the intake issue, so maybe my plugs are fouled from oil:shrug: I'll check that for sure.

sigintel and Superman15 like this.
  8. Superman15

Superman15 Shake n Bake

First Name:
    Sam
    Vehicle(s):
    Rating:
    100%
    1   0   0
    Just curious, what originally made you discover there was an issue with the way you set up the catch can? Did you smell oil? I have the Whipple catch can myself, but am very hopeful I have it on correctly. I coulnd't find instructions anyyywhere on how to install. So I just looked at pictures of others installed. My catch can install is pretty new though. The car ran the sameway long before the catch can was added. I check mine about every 2-3 days to ensure theres no leaks, and also to check the tightening ring in the middle. As I have found that to loosen up on several occasions. So now I just check it every couple days. I have also tried with knock sensor turned off and I have Octane adjust set to "off" on mine. Neither changes the outcome. I leave octane adjust off, and Dustin said no need to leave it on since I am getting 93 octane at all times.

9. Roh92cp

First Name:
    Shawn
    Vehicle(s):
    OW GTPP Whipple
    Rating:
    100%
    4   0   0
    In my testing for the sound tube modification I had taken off the inlet elbow and found oil. It was also draining into the air box. As far as the Whipple catch can yes it just screws on however its very important the two outlets are oriented properly and connected to the right lines. It's a 50/50 chance you get it right unless you look close at the body of the outlets you will see SC and the other PCV stamped into it. If you have the PCV side connects to the supercharger then you will suck from the bottom of the bowl and if the duck bill nipple isn't draining properly then you will suck big time oil into the intake.

As you can see the drawing shows the SC side draws from a hole at the top of the catch can, but if it's backwards it draws from the bottom metal cone filter and will drink oil all day.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Superman15 likes this.
  10. Superman15

Superman15 Shake n Bake

First Name:
    Sam
    Vehicle(s):
    Rating:
    100%
    1   0   0
    Thank you sir. Will be double checking mine today for sure.

11. Derek@Lethal

[email protected] Well-Known Member
    Diamond Sponsor

First Name:
    Derek
    Vehicle(s):
    2012 Mustang GT 300A w/ Brembo's
    0   0   0
    What I see the belt doing in the video looks normal to me, just looks like manufacturing tolerances in the belt, they are not perfectly straight on the edges.

As far as the hesitation, speak with Whipple to see if they want to you do a quick data log.

12. Superman15

Superman15 Shake n Bake

First Name:
    Sam
    Vehicle(s):
    Rating:
    100%
    1   0   0

13. Roh92cp

First Name:
    Shawn
    Vehicle(s):
    OW GTPP Whipple
    Rating:
    100%
    4   0   0

14. Superman15

Superman15 Shake n Bake

First Name:
    Sam
    Vehicle(s):
    Rating:
    100%
    1   0   0

15. Whipple SC

Whipple SC Well-Known Member
    Diamond Sponsor

Vehicle(s):
    2015 5.0
    0   0   0
    No, the TB was tested in the Ford lab and went through all normal testing, no issues. Any issue as of now is isolated (there are literally thousands without an issue) and as we investigate, is mechanical in nature, not calibration. From logs, pedal, throttle actual and throttle desired all follow each other exactly.