Which Winter Tyres?

UNtamed67

Silver Shadow
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A couple...
Vehicle Showcase
I'll go for Nokia WR A3 on std custom pack silver wheels.
Found them at € 180,- pc (have to pay 50 to mount them at tyre dealer, still have to check what Ford dealer would charge)
Tyre Dealer can't (not willing ) to match this price.
Sponsored

OP
OP
R3v

R3v

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT MT & Recaro
Holy crap, it's raining outside whole day. I just experienced a decent slide while accelerating and avoiding an obstacle at the same time. Back of the car went crazy for a second or two, then settled. I'm going to buy proper winter tyres right tomorrow, still can't decide between Nokian and Michelin Alpin tho.

Lord Thunder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Erwin
Vehicle(s)
2015 RR GT Mustang
I bought a set of Michelin Alpin PA4's for 1086 EURO's, including mounting, balancing and storage of my summer tyres on saturday. They will be mounted on my stock rims. Don't know what I'll do in spring: Either have the stock tyres placed back or I'll go and get some neat after-market rims with Michelin Pilot Super Sports on them.

I did inquire at my Ford dealer, they quoted me 1744,- ... Seriously?

bigul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2015 EU
My dealer has in their offer Nokian Winter 3D tyres so i'll probably order them.

Sponsored

OP
OP
R3v

R3v

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT MT & Recaro
I have Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 as well, for 820 EUR, gotta love Slovakia :D I had it changed at official Ford dealer for 40 EUR with storage as well and had a discount because of a friend working there.

However, he told me I better buy a new set of rims next year since these low profile tires shouldn't be swapped so often because they need to overpressurize them really hard to "pop" on the corner of rims - and it could damage tires if doing repeatedly.

gojensen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Ecoboost 'vert
What are these Pilot Alpin PA4 you keep talking about - they don't even figure in the top ten best winter tyres up here... top contenders seem to be
7,7 points Nokian Hakkapeliiitta R2
7,6 points Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice 2
7,6 points Michelin X-Ice XI3
7,6 points Pirelli Ice Zero R
7,5 points Continental ContiVikingContact 6

I usually go for Nokian as I have good experience with those (my current Dunlops - not my choice - are terrible, they loose traction on acceleration all the time...) but my dealer seems to want me on Continental (guess they have a deal with them)... difference doesn't seem that big so ...

Lord Thunder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Erwin
Vehicle(s)
2015 RR GT Mustang
What are these Pilot Alpin PA4 you keep talking about - they don't even figure in the top ten best winter tyres up here... top contenders seem to be
7,7 points Nokian Hakkapeliiitta R2
7,6 points Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice 2
7,6 points Michelin X-Ice XI3
7,6 points Pirelli Ice Zero R
7,5 points Continental ContiVikingContact 6

I usually go for Nokian as I have good experience with those (my current Dunlops - not my choice - are terrible, they loose traction on acceleration all the time...) but my dealer seems to want me on Continental (guess they have a deal with them)... difference doesn't seem that big so ...
We hardly get any snow, our winters are mainly just cold and rainy. So the main reason to get them is the wet weather performance at low temperatures.

Gryphon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Yeah, there's 'continental winter tyres' and 'Nordic winter tyres'. I went for Nokian Hakkapelliitta R2's on the nickel luster Custom Pack wheels, 255 all round (with four nine-inch [front wheel] rims). Offered by the dealer. The price was exuberant but it was the only place which delivered them with TPMS, and I don't really have a choice since I'm picking the car up at a Ford store 300 miles away :D

Zymax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Yeah, there's 'continental winter tyres' and 'Nordic winter tyres'. I went for Nokian Hakkapelliitta R2's on the nickel luster Custom Pack wheels, 255 all round (with four nine-inch [front wheel] rims). Offered by the dealer. The price was exuberant but it was the only place which delivered them with TPMS, and I don't really have a choice since I'm picking the car up at a Ford store 300 miles away :D
I also chose Nokian Hakkapelliitta R2s. They are really good.

Sponsored

Zymax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Why are you ordering winter tyres? It must take at least 6 months before you get your car?
I don´t know when my car will be delivered, but I am planning to use it all year around. It will be my daily driver.

Gryphon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I don´t know when my car will be delivered, but I am planning to use it all year around. It will be my daily driver.
At a boy. I'm so sick of the people who don't dare drive their cars in the winter. If you own it, DRIVE IT! :headbang:

Notes

Moustang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BLACK S550 EB/AT/PP/EU
November, it's windy & rainy and the roads are filled with leaves here in Belgium, as long as the tires are warmed up things go pretty well on the PP zero's although I must admi that I burned some rubber lately ;)

gojensen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Ecoboost 'vert
On a little side note... I keep hearing how the PP tyres suck at temps below 65'F (~18'C). Not to brag, but it's seldom more than that up here... I find it odd that Ford would put tyres like this on a car sold so far North?!
Sponsored