Sponsored

Which Winter Tyres?

Gryphon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Well, I've just sprung for 255/40/19 Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2's on the Custom Pack wheels. The Ford dealer gave me 4 front wheels, so I can have 255 all round at least. Should give the old Stang a nice Jekyll/Hyde look, with the difference in color on the same wheel, based on season :D Total cost 2500 Euros including TPMS, and they threw in rubber mats for the car for free, seeing as I'll need them driving in the winter. Spot on!
Sponsored

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
Just got a quote from my dealer today: 400 Euro's a tire (including labor and VAT) for a set of Michelin Alpin PA3's on my existing rims. I find it a bit steep.
PA3? That's an old model. The current model is PA4.

Dealers always overcharge on tires. Just go directly to places like Euromaster, Kwikfit or Profile. Note that it pays to keep your eye on temporary discount offers.

235/45/19 Michelin Alpin PA4 is currently 227,50 at Kwikfit (plus 20 euro for installation):

http://www.kwik-fit.nl/autobanden/michelin/pilot-alpin-pa4/mi235-45v19pa4x?

John577

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White Fastback Mustang GT
The Michelin Alpin PA4 could be OK for an Ecoboost because it as 4 wheels with the same size.

For a GT it's a bit more complicated. Front and Rear are not the same, and I try to find PA4's for my GT but they dont have the size 275/40 R19 :frusty:

Or We have to buy the PA4's for the front and another brand for the Rear ... :shrug:

Gryphon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
The Michelin Alpin PA4 could be OK for an Ecoboost because it as 4 wheels with the same size.

For a GT it's a bit more complicated. Front and Rear are not the same, and I try to find PA4's for my GT but they dont have the size 275/40 R19 :frusty:

Or We have to buy the PA4's for the front and another brand for the Rear ... :shrug:
But there's no actual reason to have 275s in the rear. I'm going 255 on all 4 corners for the winter tyres. As long as the rims clear the brakes, 20mm on the rear axle won't kill you. Or are you mounting/remounting on your existing rims? In that case just get two extra 9'' wheels and you're home :thumbsup:

Sponsored

gojensen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Ecoboost 'vert
Got an email from my dealer with regards to rims today. He offered me a choice of either of the three versions (EB 5 spokes, nickel 10Ys or the black 10Ys). Talk about making life difficult for your customer :D

Prices are still abit "out there" IMO though... about €550 - I assume PER RIM? (Those prices were offical Ford.NO prices though...)

I'd like to have Nokian on them for winter, but they don't sell those ... got offered Continental Vikings which are about the same though...

Gryphon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Got an email from my dealer with regards to rims today. He offered me a choice of either of the three versions (EB 5 spokes, nickel 10Ys or the black 10Ys). Talk about making life difficult for your customer :D
That's what we call a 'happy problem' :thumbsup:

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
I don't see why you couldn't fit a 255/40/19 tyre on the 9.5x19 original rear wheel.

gojensen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Ecoboost 'vert
I don't know - have you admit my wheel knowledge is mostly limited to changing and checking pressure :D

I'll probably let the store sorry it out and let my ignorance cost me :(

Sponsored

Gryphon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I don't know - have you admit my wheel knowledge is mostly limited to changing and checking pressure :D

I'll probably let the store sorry it out and let my ignorance cost me :(
Story of my life. My idea of 'tinkering with my car' is driving it to the dealership, bending over and saying 'please don't stick it in so deep'. :lol:

gojensen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Ecoboost 'vert
sometimes I'm saddened by being single :) nobody to help me make decisions...

Right now I can't decide if I'm sticking with the silver custom pack wheels for the winter, or if I should mix it up with either black Ecoboosts or the black 10Ys from the GT...

Gryphon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
So let me share my thinking :)

- Ecoboost PP: Probably the best looking wheel available for the Mustang, out of all the wheels, absolutely. But, people who know Mustangs might think you have an Ecoboost if you have a GT (like I do). For you, this is obviously not a problem ;)

- GT PP black wheels: Probably the most sensible, since you have 'spare' wheels if you damage one of yours. But, big black wheels in the winter look like steel rims, so that's a no for me. In the summer, sure, because noone expects steel rims in the summer. But in winter, it looks suspiciously like a cheap steel rim.

- GT PP Nickel wheels. For me, the best alternative, since it gives me a pretty apparent change in the 'look' of the car, but the rims are still sort of the same, so in a way it doesn't. I get to experience both the Custom Pack appearance, and the normal GT PP appearance. Best of both worlds!!

That's how my reasoning went ;) But based on looks alone, the Ecoboost PP wheels are by far the most attractive. To me.

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
sometimes I'm saddened by being single :) nobody to help me make decisions...

Right now I can't decide if I'm sticking with the silver custom pack wheels for the winter, or if I should mix it up with either black Ecoboosts or the black 10Ys from the GT...
I am going to start out with my EcoBoost standard wheels which will be painted silver first and then shod with Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4's in 255/40/19 for the winter.

During the first months I am going to determine if I want to lower the car or not. If I'm gonna lower then for summer there will come a set of low ET 20"ers. Current favorites are the Niche Essen and TSW Bathurst.

If I decide against lowering I will probably stick with the original wheels and go for Michelin Super Sports for the summer.
Sponsored