Sponsored

Which Winter Tyres?

R3v

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT MT & Recaro
I want to keep my silver wheels and just switch tyres because of pressure monitoring + I actually like them. I'm kind of struggling with a choice tho.

What are you buying? Which brand is the best? Link to actual tests are highly appreciated.

ab4bd4a58f7391fc0c9efa4f73a4d615a7afc042d87f3c44bd5ec647745de9e9.jpg
Sponsored

Gryphon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
The Swedish vote, IMHO, goes to Nokian,'s Hakkapeliitta with Michelin's X-Ice a close second. I have X-Ices on the RS and could swear by them.

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
Depends if you want studded tires or not. If you have real winters and studded tires are allowed then definately Nokian Hakkapeliitta's.

For regular unstudded winter tires my vote goes to Michelin Alpin PA4. That's what I'm getting for mine.

Monticello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT 2015
I've ordered Hakkapellitta non studded tires from my dealer [emoji1] with new rims

Sponsored

Lsstefan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefan
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost
I used to rock Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme on my Skoda. Very good imho.
Tbh, in Romania we get cold weather, but heavy snow is like 1-2 weeks max and if there's chaos outside, I'll take a cab. I won't mess up my baby.

NewMustangDE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrik
Vehicle(s)
EU Mustang GT Fastback/Auto/Ruby Red/PP/Alarm
While living in Sweden, i used studded tyres (now forbidden in many cities there). Here in Germany i use Continental TS830 on my A6 and they are simply superb. I have used the earlier versions of the Conti TS tyre too and they are to me, the best winter tyre on the market. :thumbsup:

Gryphon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Just got quoted 2500 Euros for winter tyres and wheels by Ford. 255 Nokians all round.

That's... a little more than I expected. To be honest.

I'd appreciate tips on how to reduce that cost, since that same email now included information that my car is expected to arrive in the end of November...

gojensen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Ecoboost 'vert
My quote from the Ford store was nearly €4000 - custom pack rims with continental contac6 studless tyres...

Not sure what to do either as there's no way I'm getting an extra set in the car when I'm picking it up 600km from here...

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
I'd appreciate tips on how to reduce that cost, since that same email now included information that my car is expected to arrive in the end of November...
Get aftermarket wheels. OEM wheels cost an arm and a leg.

Sponsored

NewMustangDE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrik
Vehicle(s)
My quote from the Ford store was nearly €4000 - custom pack rims with continental contac6 studless tyres...

Not sure what to do either as there's no way I'm getting an extra set in the car when I'm picking it up 600km from here...
Get aftermarket wheels. OEM wheels cost an arm and a leg.

Or buy them from another EU country. €4000 for OEM wheels is excessive and a total rip off!

In Germany, the black EB wheels are the winter wheels on offer from Ford, prices:

With Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 255/40 R19 100V EL - €2196
With Nokian WR A3 255/40 R19 100V XL - €2116

In both cases, wheels include TPMS sensors.

A dealer here should be able to send them by DHL for a very reasonable cost.

gojensen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Ecoboost 'vert
I'm getting ripped off on VAT and postage fees anyhoo... but holy those German prices seem appealing :) I'm going to talk with a local ford store first, see if I can make a deal - but I'm terribly afraid I'll need winter tyres ON the car when I pick it up. (Last legal date 1st of November - but if there's snow/ice on the mountain I need to cross I'm not allowed to use summer tyres anymore...)

NewMustangDE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrik
Vehicle(s)
I'm getting ripped off on VAT and postage fees anyhoo... but holy those German prices seem appealing :) I'm going to talk with a local ford store first, see if I can make a deal - but I'm terribly afraid I'll need winter tyres ON the car when I pick it up. (Last legal date 1st of November - but if there's snow/ice on the mountain I need to cross I'm not allowed to use summer tyres anymore...)

Here's a link to the downloadable pdf. Perhaps show your dealer what you can get the wheels for + postage (I reckon about €200 using UPS) and see what he says....deal or no deal :D

http://www.ford.de/Rund-um-den-Service/ReifenRaeder

Gryphon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Here's a link to the downloadable pdf. Perhaps show your dealer what you can get the wheels for + postage (I reckon about €200 using UPS) and see what he says....deal or no deal :D

http://www.ford.de/Rund-um-den-Service/ReifenRaeder
If I'm not mistaken those look like the EB PP wheels. So, are we sure that those fit over the GT brakes?

I'd love some info on offset and so on so I can start looking for aftermarket wheels. It's hard to justify 2500 Euros for four wheels when I can get 19x8 aluminium rims with the right bolt dimension elsewhere for 150 Euros...

The question is, will they clear the brakes? Does anyone know the relevant dimensions we need to be looking at?

The configurator on the itWheels website says these should fit for instance:

http://www.it-wheels.de/gb/collection/JULIA/01/

And they're dirt cheap.

Last edited:

Lord Thunder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Erwin
Vehicle(s)
2015 RR GT Mustang
Just got a quote from my dealer today: 400 Euro's a tire (including labor and VAT) for a set of Michelin Alpin PA3's on my existing rims. I find it a bit steep.
Sponsored