Sponsored

Winter tyres

gojensen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Ecoboost 'vert
I saw my Swedish neighbour ask about this in another thread and thought I'd follow up in a proper thread...

The EB comes with Frt-255/40 Rr-275/40R19 Y-Sum.

Since I'm getting mine very close to the legal end date for summer tyres I'll be needing some proper winter tyres.

Would 18"s fit on the EB performance brakes (or rather would 18"s fit on the standard GT brakes, because that's what we are getting right?)

Would you folks get slimmer tyres? I don't know much about tyres but 255 vs 275 means the rears are wider?

Discuss (you that know!) :D
Sponsored

Lord Thunder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Erwin
Vehicle(s)
2015 RR GT Mustang
The EB does come with 255's front AND rear. The GT comes with wider 275 rears.

Most people recommend to get somewhat narrower wheels for winter, so your wheels will sink better into the snow. (more pressure)
I would look for 8"/235mm wide wheels/tyres (the standard non-PP wheels are also 8" wide, so it should be easy to find them)

Edit: It's the 18" wheels that are 8" wide ... 19" are 8.5" width non-PP and 9" wide wheels with PP (ours)

See also: http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7703

Gryphon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I'm the Swedish neighbor, and I am genuinely interested. Because skinny tyres grip through snow better than big fat ones do, I'm interested in actual separate winter wheels which may well be 19'', but I'm looking for something closer to 235, than 275...

On my current car, a Focus RS; I solved the Brembo caliper clearance with a spacer, and simply mount the winter wheels on top of those spacers. I'm wondering if anyone has information about options for Mustangs. I've talked to my dealer, but (of course) he doesn't have any information... Says Ford Sweden are doing the math on winter packages though.

papinist

The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)
Mustang EcoBoost MT Race Red EURO - NO MORE
I'm sure the international section has plenty of information on this.

Sponsored

OP
OP

gojensen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Ecoboost 'vert
Aren't we in the international section? I'll shoot off an email to my dealer as well... Never had more than 185 wheels myself so this is new territory :)

papinist

The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)
I mean, out of the Europe section :) Obviously here no one has experience yet.

Aky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT ordered
By the way, if you are planning to drive in the snow (and even get snow tyres and not just winter tyres) especially in Sweden, you may find this video interesting:

[ame]

Gryphon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I mean, out of the Europe section :) Obviously here no one has experience yet.
The Canada section has some good content about this. Although of course it's still important to find things we can get a hold of in Europe. Tips like 'Get them from tirerack.com' don't really help us...

papinist

The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)
The Canada section has some good content about this. Although of course it's still important to find things we can get a hold of in Europe. Tips like 'Get them from tirerack.com' don't really help us...
sure, but I'm referring to the question asked in first post:

I saw my Swedish neighbour ask about this in another thread and thought I'd follow up in a proper thread...

The EB comes with Frt-255/40 Rr-275/40R19 Y-Sum.

Since I'm getting mine very close to the legal end date for summer tyres I'll be needing some proper winter tyres.

Would 18"s fit on the EB performance brakes (or rather would 18"s fit on the standard GT brakes, because that's what we are getting right?)

Would you folks get slimmer tyres? I don't know much about tyres but 255 vs 275 means the rears are wider?

Discuss (you that know!) :D

Sponsored
OP
OP

gojensen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Ecoboost 'vert
Got quoted 35k NOK for new wheels (same nickel as the custom pack) and tires for winter (Continental Contact 6).

That's about US$4250/€3780 according to google...

Gryphon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Got quoted 35k NOK for new wheels (same nickel as the custom pack) and tires for winter (Continental Contact 6).

That's about US$4250/€3780 according to google...
That's crazy... 35k will get you a Fiesta ST to use as a winter car... I'm looking at 15kSEK tops, any more than that and it's way, way too much for just a set of wheels.

Lord Thunder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Erwin
Vehicle(s)
2015 RR GT Mustang
Getting some extra wheels seems to be a bit of an issue. I think it's also a matter of the 'spare parts market' that still has to catch up with the new reality that these cars are now also in Europe. I think I'll have them put some winter tires on my stock wheels for the coming year and hope the market has caught up somewhere next year, so I can get an extra set of rims without breaking the bank.

Gryphon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Getting some extra wheels seems to be a bit of an issue. I think it's also a matter of the 'spare parts market' that still has to catch up with the new reality that these cars are now also in Europe. I think I'll have them put some winter tires on my stock wheels for the coming year and hope the market has caught up somewhere next year, so I can get an extra set of rims without breaking the bank.
There has to be a way of slapping on spacers on the wheel hub and putting narrower 19'' wheels on there is what I'm thinking. It's how I 'winter up' my Focus RS now, spacers and narrow winter wheels. I figure, put a 7.5 inch wide rim on it and slap some narrower winter tyres on to grip through the snow. A narrower rim with a narrower (and cheaper) 235 tyre on there, and figure the brake caliper clearance out with spacers.

That can't be more than 1500 Euro...

Lord Thunder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Erwin
Vehicle(s)
2015 RR GT Mustang
There has to be a way of slapping on spacers on the wheel hub and putting narrower 19'' wheels on there is what I'm thinking. It's how I 'winter up' my Focus RS now, spacers and narrow winter wheels. I figure, put a 7.5 inch wide rim on it and slap some narrower winter tyres on to grip through the snow. Then, put something like a narrower (and cheaper) 235 tyre on there, and figure the brake caliper clearance out with spacers.

That can't be more than 1500 Euro...
True, I am not too worried about snow though. We only get on average 3 days a year where snow is an issue for traffic. On my previous cars I never even bothered to swap tires. I had all-seasons on my first car and they were fine. Had summer tires on my last car, which was not as OK, but still doable. That said, this car has a lot more horses and torque under the hood and will be hard to control without some winter shoes. Not to mention the stock tires are crap ... I'll be looking to somehow 'trade them in' when getting the winter tires and have some Michelin PSS's fitted in spring.
Sponsored