Redkaz04

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Max
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Hey guys, forum lurker but looking for some advice:

2017 GT350 with 10k miles for 53k or a 2019 GT350 with 5500 miles for 65k. Neither have been tracked. The 2019 has about $3,000 in PPF.

I know the Gen 2 eng should be more reliable….but which one would you buy?
Sponsored

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
2019. But the "more reliable" statement is pretty subjective. Arguments can be made it has the same ability to fail as the Gen 1 motor.

The 350 page here has all the details of the changes between 2017 and 2019. Take a look and see if those differences are something that are important to you.

OP
OP

Redkaz04

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Max
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
I’m aware of the changes. Revised magneride ect. Engine should be more stout. 12psi of boost…:I have no intention to ever go forced induction.
Not sure it really matter to me if the 2019 is not more reliable.

why would you choose the 2019?

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
I’m aware of the changes. Revised magneride ect. Engine should be more stout. 12psi of boost…:I have no intention to ever go forced induction.

The the 2019 still in factory warranty, and do you intend to extend the factory warranty with a ford ESP? Does the 2017 have an ESP?

OP
OP

Redkaz04

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Max
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
The the 2019 still in factory warranty, and do you intend to extend the factory warranty with a ford ESP? Does the 2017 have an ESP?
no the 2017 doesn’t have a warranty. 2019 has engine powertrain warranty for another 8 months….no plans to extend the warranty at this time….unsure.

Sponsored

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 2018 Audi TTRS
2019. But the "more reliable" statement is pretty subjective. Arguments can be made it has the same ability to fail as the Gen 1 motor.

The 350 page here has all the details of the changes between 2017 and 2019. Take a look and see if those differences are something that are important to you.
This is a very balanced response. You have the ‘17, and I have the ‘19. What we have in common is a habit of tracking our cars, which accelerates and exaggerates wear and potential failure points.

@Redkaz04, I‘d say it depends more on how you plan to use the car. The ‘19 likely has a few more shiny things and a sprinkle of upgrades. If it’s going to be a street car and the extras are worth it to you go for the ‘19. If you’re gonna track it, maybe go for the ‘17.

Have both cars inspected and trust your own judgement. If both cars are in good condition, you’ll be happy with either one. Or just pick based on color. Nobody admits it, but we all do it. :)

OP
OP

Redkaz04

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Max
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
This is a very balanced response. You have the ‘17, and I have the ‘19. What we have in common is a habit of tracking our cars, which accelerates and exaggerates wear and potential failure points.

@Redkaz04, I‘d say it depends more on how you plan to use the car. The ‘19 likely has a few more shiny things and a sprinkle of upgrades. If it’s going to be a street car and the extras are worth it to you go for the ‘19. If you’re gonna track it, maybe go for the ‘17.

Have both cars inspected and trust your own judgement. If both cars are in good condition, you’ll be happy with either one. Or just pick based on color. Nobody admits it, but we all do it. :)
haha. Thanks for the response. I’ve kept the colors a secret so I don’t create bias 😜

cough avalanche grey and race red

Sponsored

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Our bias is meaningless. Your bias is critical. Lots of great choices. 😎

OP
OP

Redkaz04

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Max
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Yep. I’m asking strictly based on model year, assuming both are in excellent condition. Is the extra price worth it….I’m not sure.
Some have stated they would choose the 2019 but I have not seen their reasoning,

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350

2 years newer means seals and whatnot are going to be in better shape (I bought my '17 in '21, with 3,xxx miles). I had to replace a MR shock that had a leak which I chalk up to not being driven.

The '19 has the revised front knuckles. I believe it has the revised spring rates. It has the updated motor (I know, I said it's debatable whether or not Gen I or Gen II is more reliable). You can pull the exhaust valve fuse, and still switch between drive modes. Not so on the '17.

I'd have to go back and reread the 350 thread, but I think there was a few more things that if I had my druthers, I would have preferred the '19.

That said, I have been very happy with my '17, I don't know that I will ever sell it. You are going to love either car.

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yep. I’m asking strictly based on model year, assuming both are in excellent condition. Is the extra price worth it….I’m not sure.
Some have stated they would choose the 2019 but I have not seen their reasoning,

It’s a tough decision. But only while you’re making it. Neither Kyle nor I regret our choice. We bought what we want and are enjoying it tremendously. The key is to do your homework (like you’re doing), trust your decision and don’t look back.

I have the ‘19 and I love it. I’m not that well-versed on the differences, but that info is available on this forum. If they’re both in excellent condition, get the one that speaks to you. No regrets.