Would you buy a GT350R again?

Tractor Junk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R, 16 GT350 FPRS #3, 2014 Boss 302S
I'm a bit "deflated" after getting the news that the 2018 R allocation I paid a deposit on wasn't a real order in the system. Since then, I have found other deals (not msrp) so I am still not out of luck on the purchase.

The frustration of the buying process has me reconsidering/ cross shopping. I'm just not as enthusiastic as I was, and have fallen into a "paradox of choice." First world problems, for sure.

Did you seriously cross-shop with other models?

Would you buy another R again?

Thanks!

-Spencer
Sponsored

Trj3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R
Id buy one in a second. Love it. I would not pay a huge ADM for one though.....

tjbrowder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R -HR773
I came to the R from a 2015 Z/28.

I was set on a 2018 ZL1 1LE. But after sitting in the car, it felt even more claustrophobic than my 2015. Also, while the car is absolute beast on the track, like my 2015, was not so desirable for street duty with the track dedicated suspension.

So, I decided to look at the GT350. Found one that I liked and was offered MSRP by a local dealer. But before writing the check, a leftover 2017 R popped up in my search at a different dealer. Was offered the car at a small ADM, so took the plunge.

From my perspective, the R at the small ADM was worth the stretch. The car is fantastic. However, at the ADM the dealers around me are asking for a 2018, I would have a hard time justifying the purchase.

tracktardicus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Toyota 86
The first question I would ask is what are you looking for out of an R? Do you want to have a collectible street car, or are you going to be taking it to a track and driving it in the manner in which it was designed and engineered?
I had decided to see if I could find an R at a reasonable price without even driving one based on what I had read about it-arguably the best track-ready street car for the money available. I would have probably gone with a used Cayman, or perhaps an E92 M3 as a streetable track car had I not found an R at a reasonable price. As I just had mine delivered, I shouldn't comment on whether I would buy one again, but if it lives up to its reputation, the answer is yes.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
I crossed shopped a few cars, C7 GS, M4, Porsche 911 and a 718. For the money, performance and personal preference hands down the R all the way.

Sponsored

nordique14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Magnetic Gray (J1601)
Unless you are a hard-core track guy, I think the non-R GT350 would be more than enough car for even the most experienced driver. Like Tracktardicus, I also looked at cars like the E9x M3 and something from Porsche. Even the non-R GT350 stacks up very favorably against those cars. Yes, the R is better than the non-R. But even with 30+ track days under my belt, it is still way more car than I can utilize at the track. More investment needed in the driver than the car. Take a look at the non-R GT350. They can be had at MSRP or below. Best value out there. I doubt you would be disappointed.

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
For the sub-$100k realm I'd still go with an R. If I were going to creep over $100k I'd consider a few others. An important question is whether you already have a daily. If I could only have one car, had to be my daily, have back seats, and be under $100k I'd start leaning towards the M2/M4 for practicality. But performance-wise you only have to drive an R about 6 inches forward to know and feel that it's a different animal from the M cars.

Kurac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
A couple years ago I got myself into a position to buy myself a toy for my 40th. I started looking at GT350’s on autotrader, and in all black, they looked ridiculously good. At that point, the ‘16 tech pack cars hadnt reared their transmission limp mode issues but I knew if I was buying Ford’s version of the Z28, it better come with the track goodies. I settled on a track pack car, and found they were pretty rare. When I started reaching out to dealers, I was shocked to find out they were all going for over sticker. That didn’t deter me and only made me more determined to find one at MSRP. I finally found one 600 miles away that the dealer originally advertised for $15K over, but they let it go for sticker as they were getting another one in bound. Fast forward to last summer and all the talk on this forum of finding an R at sticker was impossible. To pass the time I started emailing dealers at night using Ford’s inventory tool as kind of a game to pass the time before I passed out. At the time, a $5K ADM was a killer deal, and that’s what I was gunning for. It wasn’t long before I contacted a dealer that had one in bound with no ADM. I wasn’t really looking for an R, but one doesn’t just let an R go at MSRP. I knew I would regret it if I passed on the deal.

I think the car is very satisfying for in street driving, and I do like it better than my old Track Pack car....it just feels lighter on its feet. Plus any auto manufacturer with the balls to remove the rear seats, because race car, is a huge turn on for me. If I were to do it over again, I would bypass a base 350 and look for an R. Even at a small ADM it’s worth it. I did seriously consider a base C7Z as I love the looks and acceleration, but at the end of the day, the R exclusivity won out.

pocketAA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R #850
At the price point yes. The R is rare and im outside of philly and have only seen one and that is mine. I paid 7-8k over sticker for mine and id probably even do it again. Im not a track guy but i like things that you just dont see everyday. Plus if you hear the exhaust note these things make you’ll never regret it. Im not a big fan of the ride quality on country roads but i know why it is the way it is. Im hoping once the stock rubber is gone and i put a more street friendly tire on it, it will lessen the ride a bit.

Sponsored

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
Unless you are a hard-core track guy, I think the non-R GT350 would be more than enough car for even the most experienced driver. Like Tracktardicus, I also looked at cars like the E9x M3 and something from Porsche. Even the non-R GT350 stacks up very favorably against those cars. Yes, the R is better than the non-R. But even with 30+ track days under my belt, it is still way more car than I can utilize at the track. More investment needed in the driver than the car. Take a look at the non-R GT350. They can be had at MSRP or below. Best value out there. I doubt you would be disappointed.
You make a great point that very few drivers could take the non-R GT350 to the limit. Even less the GT350R. Why overbuy? :cheers:

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
You make a great point that very few drivers could take the non-R GT350 to the limit. Even less the GT350R. Why overbuy? :cheers:
LOL! I owned a track pack and just driving on back roads the difference is night and day. So you don't really need to take it to the limits to experience the performance gap. Additionally, I can argue that the GT350 is overbuying vs an Ecoboost. No comparison.

rushca01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Oxford White OTT
If I could have bought an R for close to msrp I would have. I’m happy with the regular GT350 and using the difference in cost for mods.

I told the dealer I bought my gt350 from if they get an R to contact me.