OP
OP

WCGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT 6M & 2011 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
That's tough.

Like I was saying, one can score used PP1 brembos and PP1 wheels (I like em, but many seem to hate them) and spoiler.

I thought the center gauge cluster looked cool when I didn't have them on my EB's, but now that I have it, I have never once looked at it while driving in the 5 months I have driven my pp1.

I thought you needed to have the 12" digital instrument panel to get the active exhaust. How does one even switch modes on a 301a car with the analogue cluster??? Unless on a 301 car the exhaust is tied to the drive modes(the switch on the lower center console)? If so, that's pretty limiting because the digital IPC allows one to select exhaust mode independent of drive modes.

But that being said, the digital dash is another thing that I don't think I could go back from.

If i weren't tracking the car but want the PP1 look, I'd get the 401a with the digital dash, and heated/cooled seats (knock on wood, my cooling actually works on this car, never did on my 17), then get nicer wheels (I just got a set of almost new PP1 wheels and ps4 tires from forum member for $1100), try to buy used PP1 brembos and either install it yourself or get them installed (which is easy). Not even sure if you'd need to do the rears as they are just normal floating pistons. I just noticed that car has black wheels and tires. It also has a blade spoiler, so if you wanted the PP1 look, I believe the holes under the blade spoiler is the same as the PP1 spoiler.

The blue color was what I really wanted and shadow black was last on my list but I ended up with a shadow black. I love my black mustang, albeit I have to wash it often, but I purchased a cheap harbor freight pressure washer and I actually washing my car.
AE i think is available on all GTs. I know it is available on 301a.

Here's a curveball. I found this one earlier at Koons Ford. The only thing it doesn't have that i would want is the AE. This is only a bit over $1000 more than the non-PP withe the black accent package and the the PP1 with the 301a. This might be hard to pass up.

https://www.koons.com/new/Ford/2021...ngton-dc-48e134fc0a0e0ae81a50e848718408f3.htm
Sponsored

pyrophilus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 ShadowBlack GT Premium401a, PP1, ActiveExhaust
AE i think is available on all GTs. I know it is available on 301a.

Here's a curveball. I found this one earlier at Koons Ford. The only thing it doesn't have that i would want is the AE. This is only a bit over $1000 more than the non-PP withe the black accent package and the the PP1 with the 301a. This might be hard to pass up.

https://www.koons.com/new/Ford/2021...ngton-dc-48e134fc0a0e0ae81a50e848718408f3.htm

Velocity blue is beautiful.

The digital cluster is something that can be retrofitted (there are threads on here as well as youtube vids), unfortunately prices have been increasing.

As for the active exhaust, rousch makes aftermarket muffler that offers an active exhaust. It's not factory, so you'd have to control it using a separate switch, but it does allow you to get the aggressive tone (which I think any V8 should have), but also allows you to tone it down around home and cops. The digital dash retrofit and the rousch AE exhaust are both around $3k each, so that IS an option later if you get that velocity blue pp1.

The velocity blue PP1 seems to have the safe and smart, as it has the automatic cruise control. That's another thing that is use often in my DD.

If it were me, I'd either get the 401a prem, or the velocity blue PP1 and do the digital IPC swap, and get the aftermarket AE exhaust. I am guessing the rousch AE on loud may sound nice than the factory AE on track exhaust mode, although the factory AE in sport+/track sounds pretty dang nice.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Velocity blue is beautiful.

The digital cluster is something that can be retrofitted (there are threads on here as well as youtube vids), unfortunately prices have been increasing.

As for the active exhaust, rousch makes aftermarket muffler that offers an active exhaust. It's not factory, so you'd have to control it using a separate switch, but it does allow you to get the aggressive tone (which I think any V8 should have), but also allows you to tone it down around home and cops. The digital dash retrofit and the rousch AE exhaust are both around $3k each, so that IS an option later if you get that velocity blue pp1.

The velocity blue PP1 seems to have the safe and smart, as it has the automatic cruise control. That's another thing that is use often in my DD.

If it were me, I'd either get the 401a prem, or the velocity blue PP1 and do the digital IPC swap, and get the aftermarket AE exhaust. I am guessing the rousch AE on loud may sound nice than the factory AE on track exhaust mode, although the factory AE in sport+/track sounds pretty dang nice.
Or buy the 401a and take that $6k and put it into suspension and other PP1 goodies. One other thing to take into account if you decide to swap out the dash. You will most likely kill your warranty on anything electronic in your new car. That alone would prevent me from doing it.

pyrophilus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Or buy the 401a and take that $6k and put it into suspension and other PP1 goodies. One other thing to take into account if you decide to swap out the dash. You will most likely kill your warranty on anything electronic in your new car. That alone would prevent me from doing it.
I completely agree with this. Unless one plans to track their mustang, I think the "enhanced cooling" isn't necessary. The GOP's posting for the 401a was shadow black with already black accent wheels. Take off the blade spoiler and get used PP1 spoiler out back, swap the front lip (if they want, but with a black car, would anyone even know that it's not a PP1 lip?) It would give the look of the PP1. Brembos are literally bolt on upgrades, and so is PP1 struts shocks. For 6k, I think they could get used PP1 spoiler, wheels, brembos, front lip, and the center stack trim with the gauges and probably have a free hundred left over.

Or use the 6k and get aftermarket suspension upgrade, brembos (if they really wanted PP1 for brembos), pp1 spoiler. I think non magneride PP1 handling is just fine, but I think one can go aftermarket and do even better.

I would do the digital dash if it were my car, but only if I owned it and warranty ran out, and i would do it myself, as it would be prohibitedly expensive to get someone to put in the digital dash and change settings in forscan.

OP
OP

WCGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I completely agree with this. Unless one plans to track their mustang, I think the "enhanced cooling" isn't necessary. The GOP's posting for the 401a was shadow black with already black accent wheels. Take off the blade spoiler and get used PP1 spoiler out back, swap the front lip (if they want, but with a black car, would anyone even know that it's not a PP1 lip?) It would give the look of the PP1. Brembos are literally bolt on upgrades, and so is PP1 struts shocks. For 6k, I think they could get used PP1 spoiler, wheels, brembos, front lip, and the center stack trim with the gauges and probably have a free hundred left over.

Or use the 6k and get aftermarket suspension upgrade, brembos (if they really wanted PP1 for brembos), pp1 spoiler. I think non magneride PP1 handling is just fine, but I think one can go aftermarket and do even better.

I would do the digital dash if it were my car, but only if I owned it and warranty ran out, and i would do it myself, as it would be prohibitedly expensive to get someone to put in the digital dash and change settings in forscan.
I’m not so much concerned with having the look of the PP1 as I am with having the performance capabilities if the PP1. I do like the PP1 wheels snd spoiler, but I also like the look of the black premium. There is a low likelihood that I will track the car, but I will at times drive it hard. As some have mentioned, I would hate to buy and regret later on not having bought the better performance option.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
I’m not so much concerned with having the look of the PP1 as I am with having the performance capabilities if the PP1. I do like the PP1 wheels snd spoiler, but I also like the look of the black premium. There is a low likelihood that I will track the car, but I will at times drive it hard. As some have mentioned, I would hate to buy and regret later on not having bought the better performance option.
The better performance options are readily available from our friends at BMR, Steeda, etc. etc. And you get to do it your way.

OP
OP

WCGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The better performance options are readily available from our friends at BMR, Steeda, etc. etc. And you get to do it your way.
This may be a dumb question, but would modding the suspension, brakes, etc on a new car affect the warranty?

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
This may be a dumb question, but would modding the suspension, brakes, etc on a new car affect the warranty?
If a non OEM replaced part is found to be the cause of a problem then a warranty claim “could” be refused. You could always go with Ford Performance parts which carry a Ford warranty.

Last edited:

3rdRGR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush RS2, 2011 Nissan Murano SV
I admit that a cold start with my non-baffled performance exhaust is pretty loud. But if it's early, I just start it with the garage door shut, then open it. Unless you get on it, you can keep it pretty tame noise wise with your right foot. I think it's (active exhaust) probably something novel that you'd use a lot at first, then not so much. Whereas the Brembos you feel every time you brake.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
I think it's (active exhaust) probably something novel that you'd use a lot at first, then not so much.
Nope, two plus years. Use it all the time. Now Brembo’s are great but I’ve never wanted for more than my cars stock four pots. But if you do they are readily available.

Sponsored

pyrophilus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
While you may regret not having bought the better performance option, for street use, most of the PP1 level of suspension and brake work can be done afterwards without voiding warranty, which means those regrets can be fixed.

What would be worse is to regret not getting active exhaust and digital dash as those are regrets that can't be fixed without spending a ton of money and then also voiding warranty. And I am sure no small shop will want to do digital cluster swap or AE retrofit.

I am pretty sure non PP1 cars are plenty fine being driven hard on roads. The 2019+ 6MT gearing is so tall you are at illegal speeds before you hit 4th gear, and that 4th comes really fast even when you're not on WOT.

While PP1 is definitely stiffer, after driving premium suspension wheels for 6 years, I am sure many non PP1 owners will agree that a base premium suspension is no econo sedan. Even the base brakes are similar in size to the brembos from the s197s.

OP
OP

WCGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
While you may regret not having bought the better performance option, for street use, most of the PP1 level of suspension and brake work can be done afterwards without voiding warranty, which means those regrets can be fixed.

What would be worse is to regret not getting active exhaust and digital dash as those are regrets that can't be fixed without spending a ton of money and then also voiding warranty. And I am sure no small shop will want to do digital cluster swap or AE retrofit.

I am pretty sure non PP1 cars are plenty fine being driven hard on roads. The 2019+ 6MT gearing is so tall you are at illegal speeds before you hit 4th gear, and that 4th comes really fast even when you're not on WOT.

While PP1 is definitely stiffer, after driving premium suspension wheels for 6 years, I am sure many non PP1 owners will agree that a base premium suspension is no econo sedan. Even the base brakes are similar in size to the brembos from the s197s.
When comparing the 2021 velocity blue PP1 and the 2019 black 401a, they are at a very similar price point. The 2021 is only around $1700 more for a performance pack and a premium interior. The only thing from the velocity blue that is missing is the active exhaust. I know I haven’t experienced it, but the digital cluster is some thing I think I would be OK with not having. That is why it is looking to me like the better deal.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Have you driven reg gauge mustang? I dont mind it at all. I keep the gauge on oil temp, and leave it alone its simple, works. no distractions

3rdRGR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush RS2, 2011 Nissan Murano SV
Have you driven reg gauge mustang? I dont mind it at all. I keep the gauge on oil temp, and leave it alone its simple, works. no distractions
All I know is the Blue Dials with Red needles are plenty awesome. I go with Digital Speed readout and outside of RPM hardly ever look at the speedo. But did I say the Blue was awesome?

OP
OP

WCGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Man, these things are flying off the shelves. I’ve been on the phone with Sheehy, Koons and other dealers this morning and they are selling mustangs left and right.
Sponsored