Which GT for me?

OP
OP

WCGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT 6M & 2011 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
The auto vs manual is a personal preference. Stock for stock the A10 car is faster than the M6. If you live to run the 1/4 mile, the A10 is for you. I've been daily driving a stick shift for so long now it's second nature. Stop and go traffic is not a bother. It didn't bother me in a lifted 4x4 truck and it doesn't bother me in the Mustang. I don't even think about it.

For me personally, shifting gears is part of driving. Winding out 2nd on back roads, downshifting into corners - it's something I personally enjoy.

Replace the factory craptastic shifter with a MGW like I did - and it's THAT much better to drive everyday.

As for pricing - HORRIBLE time to buy USED. Look for a new 2020 on the lot. My dealer is hassling me about trading in my '19 GT and his offer is higher than Carmax (cash offer - no trade in) and Carmax is literally almost $6K more than I paid for the car (including TTL) new in September of '19. The ONLY way I'd even consider it is if I could get the 401A package (I really like the digital instrument cluster and honestly plan on upgrading my '19 to it) AND the Recaro seats. The Performance Pack would be nice too...

That being said - there are actually four cars optioned like I would want (Performance Pack, Recaros, 6 speed, 401A) within an hour of me. Each car stickers for around $50k. Each one is being priced around $43K. With $6K of equity to play with - it's actually making me think about it.

The only reason I've haven't been to a lot to drive one - to make a decision either way - we're doing a refi on our house and I can't do anything credit wise until after we close. So if they still have these cars - I might take a look. The other thing for me is purely personal preference - I'm leaning towards wrapping my Silver '19 GT in a dark grey (Destroyer Grey color for '19 Challengers / Chargers), adding 4.09 gears and the digital cluster. If I had already done any of these three, I wouldn't even think about getting a new Mustang.

I don't know what road conditions are like for you - but I would definitely drive a non PP GT then drive a PP equipped car. They do have different ride characteristics. The base GT is no slouch - and with the addition of 19" wheels it rides / handles great. The PP car for me has a few major attractions - spoiler (I've already added a color matched PP1 spoiler to my current car), 3.73 gears and the brakes.

I haven't even looked at '21 Mustangs (pricing wise) so I couldn't tell you what dealers are doing. I do know here in central VA - used car / truck pricing is NUTS right now. We got a cash offer on our '12 F150 FX4 5.0 truck (only 63K miles) and it was more than we paid for it used a couple of years ago. Problem is we'd have to buy (a likely overpriced) another used truck to replace it.

So yeah, no way I'd buy used right now. Prices are stupid. But dealers are pushing 2020 models hard (not just Mustangs).

HTH
So, buying a used car right now is a bad idea but a 2020 can be found for a good price.
Sponsored

OP
OP

WCGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The auto vs manual is a personal preference. Stock for stock the A10 car is faster than the M6. If you live to run the 1/4 mile, the A10 is for you. I've been daily driving a stick shift for so long now it's second nature. Stop and go traffic is not a bother. It didn't bother me in a lifted 4x4 truck and it doesn't bother me in the Mustang. I don't even think about it.

For me personally, shifting gears is part of driving. Winding out 2nd on back roads, downshifting into corners - it's something I personally enjoy.

Replace the factory craptastic shifter with a MGW like I did - and it's THAT much better to drive everyday.

As for pricing - HORRIBLE time to buy USED. Look for a new 2020 on the lot. My dealer is hassling me about trading in my '19 GT and his offer is higher than Carmax (cash offer - no trade in) and Carmax is literally almost $6K more than I paid for the car (including TTL) new in September of '19. The ONLY way I'd even consider it is if I could get the 401A package (I really like the digital instrument cluster and honestly plan on upgrading my '19 to it) AND the Recaro seats. The Performance Pack would be nice too...

That being said - there are actually four cars optioned like I would want (Performance Pack, Recaros, 6 speed, 401A) within an hour of me. Each car stickers for around $50k. Each one is being priced around $43K. With $6K of equity to play with - it's actually making me think about it.

The only reason I've haven't been to a lot to drive one - to make a decision either way - we're doing a refi on our house and I can't do anything credit wise until after we close. So if they still have these cars - I might take a look. The other thing for me is purely personal preference - I'm leaning towards wrapping my Silver '19 GT in a dark grey (Destroyer Grey color for '19 Challengers / Chargers), adding 4.09 gears and the digital cluster. If I had already done any of these three, I wouldn't even think about getting a new Mustang.

I don't know what road conditions are like for you - but I would definitely drive a non PP GT then drive a PP equipped car. They do have different ride characteristics. The base GT is no slouch - and with the addition of 19" wheels it rides / handles great. The PP car for me has a few major attractions - spoiler (I've already added a color matched PP1 spoiler to my current car), 3.73 gears and the brakes.

I haven't even looked at '21 Mustangs (pricing wise) so I couldn't tell you what dealers are doing. I do know here in central VA - used car / truck pricing is NUTS right now. We got a cash offer on our '12 F150 FX4 5.0 truck (only 63K miles) and it was more than we paid for it used a couple of years ago. Problem is we'd have to buy (a likely overpriced) another used truck to replace it.

So yeah, no way I'd buy used right now. Prices are stupid. But dealers are pushing 2020 models hard (not just Mustangs).

HTH
Two cars near me are priced as follows:

2019 GT PP1 301a M6 with 7000miles for 35,999.

2020 GTPP1 301a M6 with Active Exhaust for 42,567

The 2019 is nearly brand new and is $6000 less than the 2020. The only option that the 2020 has that the 2019 does not is the active exhaust. Which is priced better?

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Two cars near me are priced as follows:

2019 GT PP1 301a M6 with 7000miles for 35,999.

2020 GTPP1 301a M6 with Active Exhaust for 42,567

The 2019 is nearly brand new and is $6000 less than the 2020. The only option that the 2020 has that the 2019 does not is the active exhaust. Which is priced better?

Maybe it's your area?

Here's a 401A with Recaro's and PP - brand new 2020

https://www.tedbrittfairfax.com/new-Fairfax-2020-Ford-Mustang-GT+Premium-1FA6P8CFXL5150067

Here's a 2020 301A 6 speed PP1

https://www.sheehyfordofrichmond.co...hmond-va-bcd793630a0e0adf08024f7dbf9a9706.htm

OP
OP

WCGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
These are pretty good prices. Would you agree?

The 2020 301a in Richmond is only 1k more than the 2019 I saw for 35,999. Now, when you factor that I would have to take a flight to Richmond to drive it back to New York or pay to have the car shipped to New York, the price almost evens out. Where the 2020 makes more sense is that you get the warranty.

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
These are pretty good prices. Would you agree?

The 2020 301a in Richmond is only 1k more than the 2019 I saw for 35,999. Now, when you factor that I would have to take a flight to Richmond to drive it back to New York or pay to have the car shipped to New York, the price almost evens out. Where the 2020 makes more sense is that you get the warranty.

Those are the prices I'm seeing on new 2020s sitting on the lot. They want to move them, 2021 models are also sitting on the lot.

Sponsored

OP
OP

WCGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Those are the prices I'm seeing on new 2020s sitting on the lot. They want to move them, 2021 models are also sitting on the lot.
I've been looking at the 2020 GT PP1 301a at Sheehy Ford in Richmond all day. It is looking like a good deal. I can have it shipped to NY for $400 as well.

Troutwrangler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP2 Magnetic Metallic
The PP2 is an absolute blast to drive.
My DD is a 2017 F350 with 6.2 and automatic.
My PP2 only sees about 3000 miles a year of drive time.
Daily commute with a PP2 will boil down to your personal preference and expectations.
The PP2 is "loud and obnoxious" and "more work" to drive compared to my wife's Chrysler 300.
If your idea of a nice commute is having a quiet cabin, driving with one hand on the wheel, sitting in a wide cushy seat that feels like your living room couch, sipping your coffee while driving, then I wouldn't buy the PP2.
If you drive on older asphalt, you will have a lot of cabin noise and some tramlining to deal with in the PP2. Newer asphalt isn't bad. This assumes that you run the stock PS2 tires. YMMV if you swap out to different tires.
Are you OK with a manual trans for driving in traffic?
Did I mention that the PP2 is a blast to drive?
I've taken our PP2 on long road trips, nice long blasts on twisty mountain roads, and driven in traffic....
My personal opinion is that the PP2 is fun to drive in any of these situations....
With that said, I'm not driving it to work every day.
But did I tell you that the PP2 is A LOT of fun to drive?
Best wishes with your decision-

Troutwrangler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP2 Magnetic Metallic
I don't have Magnaride, so I can't speak to that but I'm sure many here can.
I love Magnaride. Best of both worlds in my opinion.
Comfortable on road trips/"normal" driving and doesn't beat the hell out of you, but throw the car into a corner and its like being on rails.

Mr. Met

06 Time Person ofthe Year
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
2020 GTPP Premium, 2015 GT Premium, 1999 Expedition EB
Now is definitely the wrong time to be buying a used Mustang. Might as well buy new with these prices. I bought a 2020 over the summer from Charlotte and had it shipped to me in Queens. I could sell it now for basically what I paid for it new.

Kevindust

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 401A PP2 Active Exhaust, 2016 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Sport Upgrade manual, 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
My recommendation is to spend the money on a Premium, preferably a 401A. The interior is significantly better and you will appreciate the details every day during your commute. Heated seats in NY are very, very nice. Personally, I would also consider MagneRide as mandatory for your usage. It really is the best of both worlds. I find that the PP2 in Normal setting makes a fantastic cruiser and is great in traffic. I would not hesitate to DD a PP2, as long as it has a set of PS4S or other similar quality tire that is not as track focused or as prone to tramlining as the OEM Cup 2s.

My second vehicle is also a Tacoma, very useful and reliable truck. Good luck with your search!

Sponsored

Muhnopoly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt
I was in the market for a used mustang gt and I looked at a 2019 model with 17k miles they wanted 34k for it. I ended up calling a different dealer about a 2020 new gt with 17 miles and asked them if they could do 34k and they said come in its yours. Sticker price on it was like 42 or 44k I believe? Anyways everyone I knew was surprised I ended up getting a new car vs a used. Just get a new one vs a used, I feel like used mustangs are similar to a used 350z or 370z, you never know what the previous owner did to it or how they drove it and treated it

BimmerDriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT convertible w/3 pedals, BMW M550i
Once the housing crash comes, then buy.
Funny.

I'm not disagreeing, as I think we are in several kinds of multiple unsustainable bubbles, just not sure how the end will manifest itself.

As for the OP and the OQ, I'm not sure that a manual transmission Mustang GT is the optimal car for commuting into NYC. I guess it depends on how far into Queens you go, and what it takes to get there. I once bought a Corvette out of NH and had to drive through NYC to get home, in the middle of a weekday. That was miserable. Usually I go through NYC traffic in the back of a town car, LOL.

As for options, me personally, I think a base GT with cloth seats is fine. The stereo sucks though.

OP
OP

WCGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Funny.

I'm not disagreeing, as I think we are in several kinds of multiple unsustainable bubbles, just not sure how the end will manifest itself.

As for the OP and the OQ, I'm not sure that a manual transmission Mustang GT is the optimal car for commuting into NYC. I guess it depends on how far into Queens you go, and what it takes to get there. I once bought a Corvette out of NH and had to drive through NYC to get home, in the middle of a weekday. That was miserable. Usually I go through NYC traffic in the back of a town car, LOL.

As for options, me personally, I think a base GT with cloth seats is fine. The stereo sucks though.
Thanks for the feedback. I really only go from central Westchester County down to right over the Whitestone Bridge. Really not far into Queens at all.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I've been looking at the 2020 GT PP1 301a at Sheehy Ford in Richmond all day. It is looking like a good deal. I can have it shipped to NY for $400 as well.
You....like....wouldn't go get it?

Really?

Are you sure you're into cars?

OP
OP

WCGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You....like....wouldn't go get it?

Really?

Are you sure you're into cars?
Seriously? I don’t have a whole lot of time right now with my job. Work weekends and travel frequently. So, for $400 to have the car delivered to me, sounds like a really good deal.
Sponsored