Sponsored

Which Brand Long Tube headers & what size??

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium A10 PP1 Whipple Stage 2
Awesome, thanks Doug. How were those cats? any issues after install?? Do you have blower?
Thanks Anthony
As far as the headers, I had my local ford Performance Service center install them due to I was having back issues at that time and needed them installed prior to the winter. Ford did a great job installing them. After the install, I ran the car WOT from a DIG about 20-30 times (on long back roads with no traffic) for hours and I never got a CEL fault. Doesn't mean I will not get one but with the higher quality more expensive cats I feel you have less chances of having issues like CEL faults, Cats clogging etc then with a set of cheap Chinese made LTH.
I have a Whipple Stage 2 with Oversized Heat exchanger, Ford Performance Timing chain kit, MMR Hurricanes Oil Pump Assembly, Mishimoto thermostat controlled Oil Cooler ready for my install this winter. This was the reason I upgraded the cats to handle the higher exhaust flow pressures without issues (hopefully).
NOTE: I decided to go with a PD for one reason. I wanted to play in the torque range stop light to stop light, and not play in the horsepower range (Triple digits) and put others at risk from my high speeds. I had to many friends die from rolling the dice and racing the streets. That's just not for me for I know, " O-Shits" do happen and not all of them you walk away from.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
monte87

monte87

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rapid RED Metallic GT
As far as the headers, I had my local ford Performance Service center install them due to I was having back issues at that time and needed them installed prior to the winter. Ford did a great job installing them. After the install, I ran the car WOT from a DIG about 20-30 times (on long back roads with no traffic) for hours and I never got a CEL fault. Doesn't mean I will not get one but with the higher quality more expensive cats I feel you have less chances of having issues like CEL faults, Cats clogging etc then with a set of cheap Chinese made LTH.
I have a Whipple Stage 2 with Oversized Heat exchanger, Ford Performance Timing chain kit, MMR Hurricanes Oil Pump Assembly, Mishimoto thermostat controlled Oil Cooler ready for my install this winter. This was the reason I upgraded the cats to handle the higher exhaust flow pressures without issues (hopefully).
WOW!!!!!!!!!! Sounds awesome man, some set up!!!!! I totally agree w you via quality parts. Do it right the 1st time, so you don't have to repeat 5x.... Thums up on Whipple!!! I got the Roush blower. Also we are better off w LTs and cats, because they are located in a better area for fast replacement in a jam!!! Thats my selling point, the modular ability works for me.

Anthony

Need4SpeedMotors

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.n4sm.com
First Name
N4SM Team
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang & Shelby GT350 platform
Hey guys,
2021 GT w Roush blower and max mod cooling kit installed by a certified ford roush dealer blah, blah, blah!!! Roush is one of the most conservative tunes on the planet, have no idea how i roasted a cat!!!! ?!?!?
So after burning a cat last week and realizing that can happen to me again and again. I'm contemplating going long tube headers w removable cats. I'm having them professionally installed at a shop don't want any part of that nightmare install. lol
#1) Which brand is the best? Kooks, Texas speed or Stainless works or stainless power?

#2) what size should i go with? --------> 1 3/4 or 1 7/8???

Thanks Anthony
1 7/8 is the sweet spot for these s550 mustangs. 1 3/4 isn't ideal and with 2" headers you will lose a lot of torque. Any of those header companies you mentioned are good choices. On my personal car I have the stainless power 1 7/8 and haven't had any issues with them. Fitment is great.

OP
OP
monte87

monte87

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rapid RED Metallic GT
1 7/8 is the sweet spot for these s550 mustangs. 1 3/4 isn't ideal and with 2" headers you will lose a lot of torque. Any of those header companies you mentioned are good choices. On my personal car I have the stainless power 1 7/8 and haven't had any issues with them. Fitment is great.
Thanks for the reply! Appreciate you. Did you have any issues w A/C line on passenger side??
Anthony

Cordero1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
ty 4 reply! Good to hear! Any cel lights after install?
Thanks Ant
Yes, after 52 miles it popped up. Took care of it with tune.

Sponsored

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium A10 PP1 Whipple Stage 2
WOW!!!!!!!!!! Sounds awesome man, some set up!!!!! IK061066 totally agree w you via quality parts. Do it right the 1st time, so you don't have to repeat 5x.... Thums up on Whipple!!! I got the Roush blower. Also we are better off w LTs and cats, because they are located in a better area for fast replacement in a jam!!! That's my selling point, the modular ability works for me.

Anthony
Thanks for the reply! Appreciate you. Did you have any issues w A/C line on passenger side??
Anthony
I forgot to tell you that the AC line/block on my passenger side header was just barely touching my heat wrap. But I pull the block away a bit and no touch anywhere.

1702585886700.png

1702585948441.png

Tom@Lethal

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500
Hey guys,
2021 GT w Roush blower and max mod cooling kit installed by a certified ford roush dealer blah, blah, blah!!! Roush is one of the most conservative tunes on the planet, have no idea how i roasted a cat!!!! ?!?!?
So after burning a cat last week and realizing that can happen to me again and again. I'm contemplating going long tube headers w removable cats. I'm having them professionally installed at a shop don't want any part of that nightmare install. lol
#1) Which brand is the best? Kooks, Texas speed or Stainless works or stainless power?

#2) what size should i go with? --------> 1 3/4 or 1 7/8???

Thanks Anthony
Really comes down to personal preference on which brand you choose to go with. KOOS and SW are more on the expensive side while TSP & SP are more budget friendly. Quality and fitment are great on all the options you listed and you’ll want them in 1 7/8” as others have suggested. If you need any help jsut give us a shout. 😎#TeamLethal

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Thanks dude. Which headers do you have?
I have Corsa long tubes. Very nice quality, but I don't believe they are around anymore.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I recommend this brand of headers (summed up in one word in the first 15 seconds of this song):

Yes, it’s actually a brand Ultimate Headers LTHs.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt

Sponsored

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I'm surprised this myth still survives. Primary diameter doesn't change the peak torque, it simply shifts the peak torque point higher in the rpm range. Primary length rocks the torque curve at the peak point (to be flatter on the lower side or flatter on the higher side) and primary diameter shifts the peak point higher or lower in the rpm range.

My car made nearly 900 ft-lbs of torque (when we jam all the timing down it's throat early on) with 2" primaries. (and over 650 ft-lbs of torque by 2850 rpms). The tune has since been modified to be more pedestrian initially so I get a nice table top 700-750 ft-lbs all the way from 3k-8k.

On an N/A engine, you'll still make the same torque, it'll just be higher in the rpm range before you get to it. Which manifests itself by "feeling" like you've lost torque.

My advice would be not to pair 1 3/4 or 2" with any setup that doesn't feature an extended rpm redline and the associated lungs to go with it (i.e. cobra jet intake that will allow sufficient flow at higher rpms).

The other thing I'd caution you on with larger primaries is fitment. Primaries are actually tubes, not pipes, so the measurement is OD (not inside diameter like piping). So in a world with tight dimensions to begin with, 2" primaries are even tighter to fit without having contact/vibe/rub points somewhere (usually the steering column shaft or the passenger side frame). So I'd further qualify that you might want to run an aftermarket tubular K-member if you're going to go with the big boy primaries.

RTR077

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT RTR Spec 1
I went with Kooks 1 7/8

Cmitchen53

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Vehicle(s)
19 GT C/S
I’m on Kooks 1 7/8 with green cats on an ESS G3 blower.

Curley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I forgot to tell you that the AC line/block on my passenger side header was just barely touching my heat wrap. But I pull the block away a bit and no touch anywhere.

1702585886700.png

1702585948441.png
Way more room with the kooks 1 7/8
20231215_142014.jpg
Sponsored