where to put amp

Cathul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Do you guys with aftermarket Subs notice that most songs are too much base? I have to turn my aux sub volume knob almost all the way down.
No, i dialed in my Sub with a DSP and RoomEQ Wizard.
Blends perfect and hits hard in the kickbass after phase aligning the subwoofer to the midbass drivers in the door.
Sponsored

BadHabit2Break

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT350
Do you guys with aftermarket Subs notice that most songs are too much base? I have to turn my aux sub volume knob almost all the way down.
You probably need to set your gain properly on the amp. Its not a volume knob.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
Break out your amp manual and read how to set the gains after installing the amp. On mine, it has me turn the radio to about 80% volume to do the initial setup. I'm guessing this is because most listen at 80% or lower volume. Depending on my source, I may have to slightly adjust the gain knob. Sirius/XM usually has me turning down the gain because there is too much bass. Using Bluetooth, I am usually fine and for some reason, Android Auto needs a little boost on the gains to get the right amount of bass.

So just turn down my gain on the amp?

Cathul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Break out your amp manual and read how to set the gains after installing the amp. On mine, it has me turn the radio to about 80% volume to do the initial setup. I'm guessing this is because most listen at 80% or lower volume.
It's because most headunits run with deck power start to clip at about 75%-80% volume.
If your headunit doesn't clip at 100% volume, set the gain at 100% volume.

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
I took the gain down from 3/4 to 1/4 and it seems much better now

Sponsored

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
Darn I knew that :) Thanks for reminding me. :like:

It's because most headunits run with deck power start to clip at about 75%-80% volume.
If your headunit doesn't clip at 100% volume, set the gain at 100% volume.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
No, i dialed in my Sub with a DSP and RoomEQ Wizard.
Blends perfect and hits hard in the kickbass after phase aligning the subwoofer to the midbass drivers in the door.
agreed, a good set amp shouldn't feel overpowering 99% of the time. occasionally I get a bass boosted song to hell and I either skip or drop my knob down a hair. but majority of my songs are great. initially I did dial it back a hair though. gotta find your preference

OP
OP
dirtwarrior

dirtwarrior

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 3.7 mustang
That is clean and out of the way

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
I would 100% recommend placing the sub in that cubby hole on the fender well. Either custom or prefab, it allows for full use of the trunk, which I have needed several times since installation. You won't get windshield cracking bass though.

IMG_3665.jpg

Sponsored
OP
OP
dirtwarrior

dirtwarrior

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 3.7 mustang
I do not need that much bass

Mikiemopa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
19 gt pp1
Where are u guys grounding your amps. I put my ground at the center seat bolt. I was having protection problems with my amp, it keep shutting down,, so I emailed mtx and the guy basically called me stupid for grounding it there. Says that it's the most common mistake he sees. But most of the threads I've seen say use that or the spare tire mount. The first email response he says u can't ground where is a fuel cell underneath and fuel wiring. And then the next emails say they use different metal there and it not as conductive. Has anybody else heard this, I find it hard to believe they are using different sheet metal under the rear seat. BTW, I grinded more paint away and it's working fine now.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
A lot of people ground there. Hmm is the fuel tank plastic or metal lol. The important thing is to strip the paint off that bolt.

Where are u guys grounding your amps. I put my ground at the center seat bolt. I was having protection problems with my amp, it keep shutting down,, so I emailed mtx and the guy basically called me stupid for grounding it there. Says that it's the most common mistake he sees. But most of the threads I've seen say use that or the spare tire mount. The first email response he says u can't ground where is a fuel cell underneath and fuel wiring. And then the next emails say they use different metal there and it not as conductive. Has anybody else heard this, I find it hard to believe they are using different sheet metal under the rear seat. BTW, I grinded more paint away and it's working fine now.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Here’s where I connected my main ground wire. I then branched off of the distribution block to hit the amps.

2E798345-1B09-4198-8748-DEBDF56A469E.jpeg

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Good one. :rockon::rockon:

Here’s where I connected my main ground wire. I then branched off of the distribution block to hit the amps.

2E798345-1B09-4198-8748-DEBDF56A469E.jpeg
Sponsored