Sponsored

Why i put the factory amp back in....

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 ecoboost conv.
First some background...I am mid 50s...have hyper sensitive ears. Been in pro audio manufacturing for years. My hearing is not degraded as most my age, actually getting more sensitive over time. I have full frequency range but with hyper sensitivity. The highs, if not properly balanced can really cause discomfort. I am a convertible guy. Have had fiats, saabs, bmws, toyotas and mustangs. I actually feel that the mustang is one of the best convertible values on the market in terms of livability and being a daily driver. I typically always replace the audio head unit, amp and speakers. I had a 2013 GT conv that i had to sell after just a few months because of the engine noise just being too much (one of the saddest days ... i loved that car and that sound)...it totally fatigued my ears. Had a nice quite bmw for a few yrs and just bought a 2016 low milage ecoboost premium convertible automatic. I felt the noise levels would be OK for me...i actually measured and compared with my bmw. It was louder for sure but better than a GT by far.

So I wanted better sound and wanted to get rid of the fake engine noise so i kept the head unit, added and amp and new speakers. Loved it and loved the lack of fake sounds...didnt mind the fake sounds so much it just seemed odd that the engine sounds did not all come from the front and when first installed the amp it was actually kind of refreshing.

Just a note, I believe the amp, in addition to powering the speakers also...
-generated the center channel from the L/R signals.
-does the fake engine sounds
-does noise reduction on low frequency engine sounds
-does driver/all Seats DSP for audio balance
-does speed volume adjustment. (i am almost 100 percent sure on that one)

After the amp install...i was adjusting volume alot when i stopped so i assume that the amp was doing the speed adjustment. I drove with the new audio installed for about a month and started noticing more fatigue in my ears....especially when the engine was at low RPM. When not in sport mode (with an automatic) the shift algorithm keeps the RPM very low...i assume for fuel economy??...it almost sounds like the engine is struggling and causes a low frequency droning sound. We were on a road trip and i had the top up and literally had to force the car into 5th to keep the RPMs up a bit. I never was bothered by that before. I figured that perhaps the ANC...Automatic Noise cancellation was doing more than i thought.... When i got home... i quickly swapped the amps...This was easy since i installed my amp buy purchasing the matching MOLEX connectors and wiring everything to it so the oem harness was untouched...I literally put the oem amp on the floor, unplugged my harness and plugged in the OEM amp.

Instantly i noticed a difference. I drove around for a few day, highway local and that low RPM engine drone was amazingly reduced.

So for me personally, the ANC is something i really want and just permanently installed the old amp back in. I definatley notice the speed adjust taking place now and my ears are much happier. If you have a V6, GT or manual transmission probably not an issue. For me it was and I just wanted to share my experience and what is lost when you swap out the amp.

I understand that with Forscan i can turn off the engine enhancement separately from the ANC so i might try that.

End of story.
PS...all the info in the forum has been amazingly helpful...thank you all.
Sponsored

mumbles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT Prem OW
Interesting post and a good read!

A lot of folks ask about what speakers they should use, and frequently get a response of "what kind of music do you listen too?" I think your comments really underscore the fact that music and sound in general is a very personal thing. Some people are happy with minor changes to the sound and some are always seeking nirvana... can't please everyone, right?

donmcgowen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, D1 Procharger Stage 2
Hi Pete, I'm going to install an Android 10" Tesla head unit, and I want to bypass my stock amp in a Premium car. Do you have any advice how to bypass the factory amp? I was thinking of installing my amp, then tapping into the factory amp speaker wires where the amp lives in the drivers side kick panel.
Sponsored