Sponsored

When to purchase new or used?

barrelfishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck
Im not undecided about buying a GT350. Im undecided as to new or used?
I’ve had an M3 e46 before and it was a garage queen. Polishing every weekend, never driven in rain, etc. it was still enjoyable but sold for a business venture and lost some money to depreciation, but little money due to low miles.
I’m in market got GT350 and wonder: should I go used, thrash the hell out of her and have fun OR buy new and look as a long term fun/investment?

The depreciation curve seems to have struck and I’m inclined to purchase used in the high 40’s, order a 2019 (or 2020 if offered) at the last opportunity and trade then. Thoughts?
Sponsored

Nfs1000f

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 & 2019 Ford Fusion SEL Hybrid
I purchased my 2017 in December with 1509 miles. Saved a bunch of money over new. Only drawback was it had chips on the nose and a few other places throughout the car. Defects I can live with considering I saved $12 grand including sales tax over new. Paint otherwise was beautiful. Interior like new.

OP
OP

barrelfishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck
2017 prices dropping below $50k yet? That seems to be a sweet spot for new vs used. My other concern is no track attack with used. Is it worth it?

Wriggly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Porsche 718 GTS
2017 prices dropping below $50k yet? That seems to be a sweet spot for new vs used. My other concern is no track attack with used. Is it worth it?
I almost sold my 350 to the selling dealer last week. They offered 50k and after backing out they told me the offer is good till the end of May.

I bought a new Porsche in March and thought it would be enough to scratch the itch but the shifting and the exhaust keeps me coming back for more.

Ixse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350
I personally dont buy sports cars second hand. Financially makes lot of sense, but so many people abuse their cars before selling them, esp sports cars.

Sponsored

5.2 VooDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Comp. Orange GT 350 - Born March 3rd - Arrrived March 14th
It absolutely is...makes me want to order a new one so I can go back!

Dr. JL

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R: GR227 and GR378
^^^Track Attack was a blast! Nothing like learning the capability of our track vehicles using Ford's vehicles, fuel, tires, brakes and contract instructors. I've bought one of both. New got me the invite to Tooele. Used got me an R covered under the original warranty.

BoostinFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor
I, too, had an e46 M3... among the other German cars, (e92 M3, Rs5, R8, etc)... I'd say buy used, if you can. New cars, unless you're thinking of keeping it for 5-6 years, are never a good "investment" HA!

Next Phase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mopar
Im not undecided about buying a GT350. Im undecided as to new or used?
I’ve had an M3 e46 before and it was a garage queen. Polishing every weekend, never driven in rain, etc. it was still enjoyable but sold for a business venture and lost some money to depreciation, but little money due to low miles.
I’m in market got GT350 and wonder: should I go used, thrash the hell out of her and have fun OR buy new and look as a long term fun/investment?

The depreciation curve seems to have struck and I’m inclined to purchase used in the high 40’s, order a 2019 (or 2020 if offered) at the last opportunity and trade then. Thoughts?
My only advice is to get a 2017 or newer that has the canister oil filter versus the tq down version.

If you can find a garage queen at a good price, why not... My only concern about buying used is if the owner let the car warm up before taking it up to 8250. I try to keep the car under 4k-5k until the oil temp warms up.

Good luck in your hunt!

Sponsored

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0059 / Former Track Attack #14 "The Rented Mule"
I traded in my '17 for $51,100. Since I only paid sales tax on the difference between that and the price of the '18 R, I would have had to sell my car on the open market for $54,700 to be equivalent. I think the dealer was trying to get around $53k for it. Had just over 2,200 miles on it - all black (no stripes).

Honestly, at that price, I would buy a new '18 (or left-over '17), as dealers in some areas are giving fairly good discounts below MSRP. But, the area in which the dealer is located supports higher prices, so I'm sure it was still a good deal. Especially considering that it sold within two days of me dropping it off.

Just my experience with the new-versus-used market.

tracktardicus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Toyota 86
Everyone is different, but here is my take:
Buy used, but do your due diligence. If at all possible, find a car for sale by a private party with all service records. Higher mileage (under 50K) is not a bad thing-if it has been tracked, that is not a bad thing-so long as the owner upped the maintenance schedule re: brake fluid, oil, and diff fluid change. Get a pre-purchase inspection from a reputable shop at your cost. You will save a lot of money over buying new.
If buying new is within your budget, you should be able to find one below sticker if you are willing to travel a bit. I personally think buying this car as an investment is speculative at best, and high-risk vs return at worst.
Finally, drive the crap out of it, preferably on a track. That is the only place you will ever even begin to safely enjoy the performance of this car. Obtain some quality HPDE instruction if you haven't already through a reputable organization such as Ford Performance Track Attack, NASA, PCA, Chin, or Hooked on Driving.

Hellstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt350
I was looking for used online for awhile when I found my 2017. 500 miles on it and the owner never took the plastic off . Basically a new used car .

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
It absolutely is...makes me want to order a new one so I can go back!
^^^Track Attack was a blast! Nothing like learning the capability of our track vehicles using Ford's vehicles, fuel, tires, brakes and contract instructors. I've bought one of both. New got me the invite to Tooele. Used got me an R covered under the original warranty.
It was a blast, but I don't know about 11-13k worth of a blast. That is a lot of track time money elsewhere.
Sponsored