Sponsored

When Adding a Supercharger…

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
If you get an RXT and you put it on a stock level MT82, and you add the torque of a PD blower it's not a matter of if it nukes the trans. it's when.

The mustang community is littered with carnage and destruction of guys who ran that clutch on stock MT's, many of whom aren't newbie retards that don't know how to properly shift or operate a manual car (some of them with multiple manual cars previous).

It's not a bad clutch, but it's very forgiving to stock internal MT's. Mark my words, you put on a whipple and run an RXT you will smoke the MT at some point.
Sponsored

TRP45ACP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium Coupe, PP1, MT82, 401A
The RXT will accelerate your need for a built MT82 at some point, as an FYI. It will depend on your driving style but if you like to bang gears, the RST will be more forgiving on the internals than an RXT and still live a long life at your projected power level.

I love McLeod products and I think otherwise the characteristics of the RXT are much like stock save a little chatter at low speed and reverse.
Agree. If you drive your car irresponsibly, yes, your transmission will suffer regardless of the clutch used. I run 900 rwhp with the rxt without any problem. Smooth, consitant shifts with not a single lockout. I do have a MGW shifter too that helps.

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
Agree. If you drive your car irresponsibly, yes, your transmission will suffer regardless of the clutch used. I run 900 rwhp with the rxt without any problem. Smooth, consitant shifts with not a single lockout. I do have a MGW shifter too that helps.
I had about 150 passes on my transmission at over 900rwhp with the rxt, something people told me constantly would be an issue. And it wasn't. Until it was. And ripped all the teeth off of 4th gear. The Mt82 guru Calimer himself will tell anyone what I just said.

TRP45ACP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sure. Everybody has different experiences. Fully anticipate a much longer life as I don’t make passes. Simply a street car with some roll racing. I would argue it had more to do with your hard launches at the drag strip than your clutch causing the trans failure. At the OPs power level with level heading driving, rxt is a fine clutch. But again, everybody should get what they are comfortable with. I am more concerned with the rxt getting an unjustified bad rap. To each his own.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Sure. Everybody has different experiences. Fully anticipate a much longer life as I don’t make passes. Simply a street car with some roll racing. I would argue it had more to do with your hard launches at the drag strip than your clutch causing the trans failure. At the OPs power level with level heading driving, rxt is a fine clutch. But again, everybody should get what they are comfortable with. I am more concerned with the rxt getting an unjustified bad rap. To each his own.
Well there's your answer. If you never load the driveline fully then even a teacup will survive. If you can't "launch" the car without fear of breaking something then it's not a very useful part/modification.

The RXT isn't a bad clutch, the MT is a bad transmission. The RXT is made to grip and survive abuse and that particular combination on a stock MT and high torque levels proves fatal way more times than not.

Again, the RXT isn't the fault point. It's the weak trans.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Medusa5oh

Medusa5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP1
I know eventually I’ll need to do something trans wise. The clutch is only putting a bandaid on a bullet wound waiting to happen. Like some others have said I feel causal street driving definitely should give me much longevity then if it were a strip/street racecar. Regardless I have tons of clutch recommendations now from everyone. Also to note I will not be running E85 ever in this car as after moving north I’ve come to noticed stations are not really in a worthwhile range. It’s forever going to be a 93 car it seems

OP
OP
Medusa5oh

Medusa5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP1
Also I know many would say the timing stuff on my list isn’t the most necessary, but I feel with mileage and then adding boost it would be a safe guard for longevity if anything

TRP45ACP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well there's your answer. If you never load the driveline fully then even a teacup will survive. If you can't "launch" the car without fear of breaking something then it's not a very useful part/modification.

The RXT isn't a bad clutch, the MT is a bad transmission. The RXT is made to grip and survive abuse and that particular combination on a stock MT and high torque levels proves fatal way more times than not.

Again, the RXT isn't the fault point. It's the weak trans.
I should clarify, I certainly load my drivetrain with high rpm launches and drag radials on the street just not to the degree multiple trips to a track does. Regardless, think we have beaten this horse. Good luck to you.

TX-Ripper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 Whipple Stage 2 / 2018 F150 5.0 Whipple Stage 2
Hello all!

Hope everyone is doing well and had a great weekend. I own a 2015 Mustang GT manual with around 80k miles on 93 octane. The plan in the near future is to supercharger it, and I’m leaning towards a Whipple 3.0 Stage 1. My real question is what supporting mods would be smart when pushing that much power, especially with 80k miles. The only horsepower mod that I have to go along with the supercharger would be headers/Catback as my other FBO parts would be swapped out. Also This isn’t a track car it’s more of a street/show car. This is what I currently have on the list, if you would like to add things or tell me things I don’t need (overkill) please let me know.

Current List
•Whipple Stage 1 Kit
•Billet OPG and Crank Sprocket
•MMR harmonic balance Crankshaft bolt
•DeatschWerks In-Tank Fuel Pump with Install Kit; 415 LPH
•Ford Performance Gen 2 Waterpump kit
ATI Serpentine Super Damper
•BOSS302R primary tensioners
•MMR billet secondary tensioner bracket
•GT350 timing chains
•McLeod RXT clutch, flywheel, etc

I came up with most of these items by reading different forum posts on here and mostly picking the few items that often popped up, however if any of it is absolutely unnecessary for a 700-750whp street car please let me know. (P.S. chose the fuel pump via Whipples recommendation). I know people will say well it wouldn’t hurt to do this or that, but truly I’m just looking to do the things that would make the most sense while I have everything apart and with higher mileage.

Thank you,
Medusa
All that other stuff is a waste of money.

you only need crank sprocket and oil pump gears, fuel pump.

ford performance has a forged crank gear for $50 and boundry oil pump gears or get their crank sprocket.

Do yourself a favor and buy the stage 2 right from the start.

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
See if you can install the MMR head cooling mod and oil cooling mod.

My engine blew up, due to high temps and me running my car when the fueling was way off. But cylinder #4 was the one that went out, which according to mmr could be due to insufficient cooling to the rear cylinders, which is what their head cooling mod tries to fix. I think it’s all at the back of the engine but if you can install it with the engine in the car that would be cool.

I like all the timing mods as we tend to like to spin our coyotes fast af, and while you do oil pump gears you might aswell upgrade it.

Hopefully your coyote will last a long time if you get the tune dialed in and car running good, and don’t overheat the car lmao.

Sponsored

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
don't listen to people saying not to upgrade the timing components. it's never a bad idea. i have pretty much the same timing upgrades. mmr has a secondary timing chain upgrade that is bullet proof. the gt350 primary chains are the only ones that fit. the secondary's from the gt350 don't fit. so get the mmr secondary's.

HoustonGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP2
I am reading/watching reviews about the chattering of "McLeod Mustang GT RXT Twin Disc Clutch Kit" as mentioned by LethalPerformance above (thread 4).
Anyone driving the RXT clutch?
Too much chatter for me. Starts from a dead stop were a pain in heavy traffic. I have about 1,500 miles on one i'd give a good deal on. Got talked into it unfortunately and it didnt suit my type of driving.

Gnatsum21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former: GT 21 Roush Twister Orange RIP | ECO 2016
Too much chatter for me. Starts from a dead stop were a pain in heavy traffic. I have about 1,500 miles on one i'd give a good deal on. Got talked into it unfortunately and it didnt suit my type of driving.
Thank you, I will stay away from it after hearing all kinds of responses, thank you!
Sponsored