zxch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
sup yall

So I'm looking into a new wheel setup for my 2022 mustang gt premium without magneride. I just recently ordered Bilstein B16 coilovers with Vorshlag camber plates. This car is my daily with some frequent spirited canyon driving and plans for occasional track days. What I'm looking for in terms of wheel setup is quite comprehensive and I apologize if it's too much to ask, but I figured I'd give it a shot.

First, I'd like to put my adjustable coilovers and camber plates to use. I believe the B16s lower the car between 20-45mm, and the Vorshlag camber plates can add up to -2.5* camber. I like the look of bigger tires, so I've been looking at 19 and 18 inch wheels. I've also heard that a square setup is ideal for grip, but I emailed someone at Apex wheels and they said their 19x11 wheel in the front would require -2.75* camber, which is more than the Vorshlag plates allow. Some brands I've considered are Rays, OZ, Enkei, Rotiform, BBS, Apex, and the Mach 1 HP wheels.

The representative at Apex said a staggered setup would probably work best for me--19x11 SM-10 in the rear wrapped in a 305 and 19x10 up front in a 285 tire. My problem is that the silver SM-10 is sold out, and I'm not the biggest fan of the EC-7. I also read that a 275/285 wouldn't be enough tire in the front. I've also looked into the Mach 1 HP wheel kit, which comes at a great price, and I could run 315 in the rear and 305 in the front. The only issue with the Mach 1 wheels seems to be that they might rub in the front on the lowered coilovers since they poke out a bit? But maybe adding camber would solve that. The Mach 1 wheels are also quite heavy.

I guess all in all, I'm looking for a setup that would let me use the functionality of my coilovers and camber plates, give plenty grip for spirited driving, and ideally be flush to the fenders, without rubbing. It's probably a lot lol but wheel fitment seems pretty complicated to me. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks so much.
Sponsored

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I don't believe 285s up front are too small unless you are going to be pretty hard core about your track days.

OP
OP
zxch

zxch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I don't believe 285s up front are too small unless you are going to be pretty hard core about your track days.
yea i have yet to drive on a track yet so I'm sure I wont be pushing the car close to the limit or anything, just want something for big canyon grip and to learn to track with

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Check out SVE and Project 6GR. Both make some great looking wheels and you have the ability to run 10” wide square or 10”/11” staggered. Lots of folks here have gone with SVE or 6GR.

taylor.crandall1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
sup yall

So I'm looking into a new wheel setup for my 2022 mustang gt premium without magneride. I just recently ordered Bilstein B16 coilovers with Vorshlag camber plates. This car is my daily with some frequent spirited canyon driving and plans for occasional track days. What I'm looking for in terms of wheel setup is quite comprehensive and I apologize if it's too much to ask, but I figured I'd give it a shot.

First, I'd like to put my adjustable coilovers and camber plates to use. I believe the B16s lower the car between 20-45mm, and the Vorshlag camber plates can add up to -2.5* camber. I like the look of bigger tires, so I've been looking at 19 and 18 inch wheels. I've also heard that a square setup is ideal for grip, but I emailed someone at Apex wheels and they said their 19x11 wheel in the front would require -2.75* camber, which is more than the Vorshlag plates allow. Some brands I've considered are Rays, OZ, Enkei, Rotiform, BBS, Apex, and the Mach 1 HP wheels.

The representative at Apex said a staggered setup would probably work best for me--19x11 SM-10 in the rear wrapped in a 305 and 19x10 up front in a 285 tire. My problem is that the silver SM-10 is sold out, and I'm not the biggest fan of the EC-7. I also read that a 275/285 wouldn't be enough tire in the front. I've also looked into the Mach 1 HP wheel kit, which comes at a great price, and I could run 315 in the rear and 305 in the front. The only issue with the Mach 1 wheels seems to be that they might rub in the front on the lowered coilovers since they poke out a bit? But maybe adding camber would solve that. The Mach 1 wheels are also quite heavy.

I guess all in all, I'm looking for a setup that would let me use the functionality of my coilovers and camber plates, give plenty grip for spirited driving, and ideally be flush to the fenders, without rubbing. It's probably a lot lol but wheel fitment seems pretty complicated to me. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks so much.
Since you will not be tracking the car, you should stick with a staggered setup. Its much better for the street.

285 up front is plenty for the street and so is a 275. I would do 275/35/19 front with a 295/35/19 rear in the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S on 19x10 front and 19x11 rear. The Michelin 4S is the best street tire you can get for spirited driving.

Sponsored

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
Since you will not be tracking the car, you should stick with a staggered setup. Its much better for the street.

285 up front is plenty for the street and so is a 275. I would do 275/35/19 front with a 295/35/19 rear in the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S on 19x10 front and 19x11 rear. The Michelin 4S is the best street tire you can get for spirited driving.
Why is a staggered set up “much better for the street “????

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Because it will be less prone to tramlining and will keep some of the understeer as a safety measure.
not enough to matter. The car is considerably more balanced and predictable with 19x10 square with 275-285 tires. Staggered is only for "phat" looks really and for wasting money.

I wish Ford would spare us the 9/9.5 nonsense and just go 9.5 for the PP1 and split-5 wheels.

taylor.crandall1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
not enough to matter. The car is considerably more balanced and predictable with 19x10 square with 275-285 tires. Staggered is only for "phat" looks really and for wasting money.

I wish Ford would spare us the 9/9.5 nonsense and just go 9.5 for the PP1 and split-5 wheels.
I agree that squared is more balanced and predictable for road racing, but the OP stated the car will be used for "spirited canyon driving". So staggered is better for the street. I don't you would ever hit the same Gs on the street to notice a square setup.

11" rear is hardly for "phat looks". Is the 11.5" rear on the GT350R for "phat looks"?

And 11" square with 305s would be the ideal track setup. Not 10" square. Is 11" square for "phat looks"?

Last edited:

RacingRoger

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKZ, F-150 Lariat. Future: G6 Mustang GT
and 19x10 up front in a 285 tire.
Will a 19x10 wheel require a spacer up front to clear suspension/frame?
If so, what's the widest wheel that can be run without using a spacer?

Sponsored
OP
OP
zxch

zxch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I was told 19x10 up front on a 285 would be fine, and I read some people on the forums that ran a 295 on a 19x10 in the front with no issues. The apex guy said 19x11 ET52 in the front would require a 25mm spacer and at least -2.75* camber.

Personally I'm kind of indifferent to square or staggered. I'm currently trying to figure out what brand has the best quality between Apex, SVE, and P6GR. The SVE S350 19x10/11 kit is such a good price but I kinda feel like that might mean the quality isn't great.

taylor.crandall1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I was told 19x10 up front on a 285 would be fine, and I read some people on the forums that ran a 295 on a 19x10 in the front with no issues. The apex guy said 19x11 ET52 in the front would require a 25mm spacer and at least -2.75* camber.

Personally I'm kind of indifferent to square or staggered. I'm currently trying to figure out what brand has the best quality between Apex, SVE, and P6GR. The SVE S350 19x10/11 kit is such a good price but I kinda feel like that might mean the quality isn't great.
Out of the three you mentioned, I would go with Apex.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
no. and 18x11 et24 or 19x11 et24-27

some (all?) SVE wheels are made by an overseas contract manufacturer - the same outfit MRR uses. A decent number of the products are flow-formed. Apex wheels may well be 'better' but I'm not aware of any reports of MRR/SVE wheels giving people trouble.

bonz50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
15 50th Anniv GT
no. and 18x11 et24 or 19x11 et24-27

some (all?) SVE wheels are made by an overseas contract manufacturer - the same outfit MRR uses. A decent number of the products are flow-formed. Apex wheels may well be 'better' but I'm not aware of any reports of MRR/SVE wheels giving people trouble.
my son has some wheels from AM, they have been fine for like 3yrs since he got them, they look good, work well, and balanced easy. I'll be buying some SVE wheel soon for mine.

JohnnyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'20 Mustang GT, '17 Expedition, '04 LS430

I love the "phat" look Matt.

But you are not wrong.
Sponsored