Sponsored

What problems does the GT350 REALLY have...

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0059 / Former Track Attack #14 "The Rented Mule"
New cars are expensive to maintain once out of warranty - I purchased the Ford ESP for piece of mind. Since mine is not a daily driver, the plan I went with was for a total of eight years from original in-service date, but only 36k miles. Got it for just over $900. So, if I do have any of the issues that some members have raised, it should be covered until the end of Nov 2024.

I think you can still buy one of these plans from a Ford dealer, provided the car is still within the original warranty period. Ask the selling dealer about it if you're looking to go pre-owned.
Sponsored

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Hi SSMITH,,, I am in the same boat. I have a 2016 GT Premium and have been contemplating upgrading/trading in for a GT350. I have the DIB color and absolutely love it.. I was looking initially at the 2016's for that reason (color). My issue is that I have sat in the Recaro seats and they are just a no go for me. I also don't like the fact that the 2016 Track Pkg does not come with a decent screen or nicer amenities. I have looked at the 2016 Tech pkg models which do come with the leather seats, but what concerns me is if I were to ever want to track the car I really can't due to the lack of coolers. I followed a thread of 2016 GT350 tech pack owners who tried to retrofit trans coolers with poor success. What concerns me even more is stories of guys with 2016 tech pkgs having over heating issues just from continuous high rpm spirited driving. So can you really trust the tech pkg long term?
I think you are on the right track looking at the Track pkg. After looking online (cars.com) I am seeing used 2016's in the 47-50k range... for a little bit more you can get a 2017 in the 51-54k range. A lot of the used 2017's are also not subject to the oil line recall. Unless you REALLY need the CO color I would suggest paying a bit more and getting the 2017.
Can I get a response from any GT350 Tech Pkg owners regarding the stability of the tech pkg in regards to overheating outside of the track?

HotLap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT 350
I only have a couple of thousand miles on my 2017 GT350 to date but no mechanical issues except for squealing front brakes (which I did bed in but they squeal anyways). I've been too lazy but plan on applyling disc brake quiet one day soon. The final assembly leaves a bit to be desired as mine came from factory with a large gap where the rear bumper fascia meets the body and the hood was seriously misaligned...but all things you (or your dealer can rectify with patience). No serious oil usage or other issues...see if you can get the "Oasis" report from a Ford Dealer if you are buying used. Good luck it is truly a special car and that FPC sound is intoxicating :)

bellwilliam

bellwilliam
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350R
New cars are expensive to maintain once out of warranty - I purchased the Ford ESP for piece of mind. Since mine is not a daily driver, the plan I went with was for a total of eight years from original in-service date, but only 36k miles. Got it for just over $900. .
proof the car isn't as reliable as many posters here said. I bet you can't buy ESP now for $900. price have double to tripled 3 months ago.

Robertscz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
'17 350 white/blue ott
This misinformation goes on with a lot of cars and here's what you have to consider- If someone has a problem, they are going to post it on the public forums for various reasons (for help, to see if anyone else has the problem, for advice, sympathy, etc.) so you see the individual problems of the few throughout the country.

What don't you see? The 10,000+ owners posting about how they don't have a problem. :)

It's good that you are doing your research. I think the odds are slim that you will have a problem and the enjoyment of this car is worth the slight risk IMO.
this.... if you look at any travel website, (tripadvisor, hotels.com, expedia ect) it is always the same. very few people go out of their way to report a GOOD experience with anything. but if you have a bad experience it is more likely to be brought to attention. buy it and enjoy it, get one with a warranty and when you start it up every morning you will have a stupid shit eating grin on your face :D

Sponsored

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0059 / Former Track Attack #14 "The Rented Mule"
proof the car isn't as reliable as many posters here said. I bet you can't buy ESP now for $900. price have double to tripled 3 months ago.
Bought my ESP at the end of Oct '17 after owning the car for 11 months. Not sure where pricing is now, but always worth checking with your dealer or some of the on-line sellers of the ESP plans.

bellwilliam

bellwilliam
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350R
Bought my ESP at the end of Oct '17 after owning the car for 11 months. Not sure where pricing is now, but always worth checking with your dealer or some of the on-line sellers of the ESP plans.
there is a long thread on that. price jumped. you got lucky, you are the last batch that got the good price. :cheers:

aham23

FPC 5.2
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 FJG Mach 1 w/ HP

bellwilliam

bellwilliam
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350R

Sponsored

eric n

HNIC/Head Ninja in Charge
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ericnolan.com
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
16 Shelby RR B&W stripes GT350 G0249
Hi SSMITH,,, I am in the same boat. I have a 2016 GT Premium and have been contemplating upgrading/trading in for a GT350. I have the DIB color and absolutely love it.. I was looking initially at the 2016's for that reason (color). My issue is that I have sat in the Recaro seats and they are just a no go for me. I also don't like the fact that the 2016 Track Pkg does not come with a decent screen or nicer amenities. I have looked at the 2016 Tech pkg models which do come with the leather seats, but what concerns me is if I were to ever want to track the car I really can't due to the lack of coolers. I followed a thread of 2016 GT350 tech pack owners who tried to retrofit trans coolers with poor success. What concerns me even more is stories of guys with 2016 tech pkgs having over heating issues just from continuous high rpm spirited driving. So can you really trust the tech pkg long term?
I think you are on the right track looking at the Track pkg. After looking online (cars.com) I am seeing used 2016's in the 47-50k range... for a little bit more you can get a 2017 in the 51-54k range. A lot of the used 2017's are also not subject to the oil line recall. Unless you REALLY need the CO color I would suggest paying a bit more and getting the 2017.
Can I get a response from any GT350 Tech Pkg owners regarding the stability of the tech pkg in regards to overheating outside of the track?
I have a 2016 tech with nearly 24k miles on it. I live in Bakersfield where much of the summer is 100+ degrees. I have never tracked my car, but drive it in a spirited manner and have had zero problems with it going into limp mode. I totally love my car, but absolutely understand if someone were to pass on a tech in order to get the trans cooler. GOOD LUCK

aham23

FPC 5.2
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 FJG Mach 1 w/ HP
that link don't have a specific GT350, only for Mustang.
most other online including Flood and Anderson Koch are nowhere close to that price.
I called they cover the 500 and the 350. You enter the VIN to confirm at payment. Iā€™m well aware what the pricing is for all of them. Troy is legit.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
I have a 2016 Track Pack with 27,000 miles. 4 track days. 2nd set of OEM tires (I think I got 20,000 out of the first set and 3 of the 4 track days).

My car does burn oil @ 1 quart/1500 miles or so. It's more than any other car I've owned, but it runs fine so I'm not worried about it. Will just keep driving it, tracking it, and will see how it holds up.

It does have some minor issues with the rear bumper fit against the 1/4 panels, but that seems to be pretty common.

A few rattles in specific places as well.

Really love the car.

-T

swish77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2018 LB GT350 C-package White Stripes
I have a ā€˜16 tech GT350 with 9200 miles that has included very spirited back-country road driving and some high-speed highway driving in high temps. Iā€™ve never had a hint of any kind of problem. No excessive oil consumption either.

Any issues with tech GT350s driven hard off the track are way, way overblown. I found three mentions of tech cars hitting limp mode off the track in very hot weather in traffic. Iā€™m not saying there arenā€™t more, but if this was really an issue, youā€™d hear a lot more about it. Itā€™s not what Iā€™d call a reason to avoid a tech car, as long as youā€™re not tracking it.

Iā€™ve driven in recaros and didnā€™t like them at all. Just getting in and out of the car is a chore. The tech/convenience package seats are so much more comfortable, especially if youā€™re using the car on a more regular basis. If youā€™re looking at ā€˜17-18 models, note that the convenience package cars are very hard to find for some reason. Iā€™ve been following the Ford dealer inventory in the Northeast for the last 3-4 months, and Iā€™d say that for every 10 electro package GT350s, there is 1 convenience package car.

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I have a ā€˜16 tech GT350 with 9200 miles that has included very spirited back-country road driving and some high-speed highway driving in high temps. Iā€™ve never had a hint of any kind of problem. No excessive oil consumption either.

Any issues with tech GT350s driven hard off the track are way, way overblown. I found three mentions of tech cars hitting limp mode off the track in very hot weather in traffic. Iā€™m not saying there arenā€™t more, but if this was really an issue, youā€™d hear a lot more about it. Itā€™s not what Iā€™d call a reason to avoid a tech car, as long as youā€™re not tracking it.

Iā€™ve driven in recaros and didnā€™t like them at all. Just getting in and out of the car is a chore. The tech/convenience package seats are so much more comfortable, especially if youā€™re using the car on a more regular basis. If youā€™re looking at ā€˜17-18 models, note that the convenience package cars are very hard to find for some reason. Iā€™ve been following the Ford dealer inventory in the Northeast for the last 3-4 months, and Iā€™d say that for every 10 electro package GT350s, there is 1 convenience package car.
Thanks for the comments... and yes that has been my experience as well in regards to finding them with the convenience package. I have had several people mention that Ford had some OEM supply issues at some point with the leather seats and so the numbers are skewed toward the Recaros. If it's not a supply issue then I am not understanding why the over emphasis on the recaros. From my understanding a lot of guys don't track their cars and you would think more would want the creature comforts. The Recaros look cool, but they are a bear to get in and out of. I am 5' 7" and I had to manually pull the seat back every time when exiting and do a contortionist move to get over the bolster when entering....
Sponsored