My GT350 has a...

• Total voters

madweazl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Simple poll to capture some data. There are obviously more gen 1s in circulation than gen 2s so we cant compare the two apples to apples. It's a small snapshot of the vehicles that are actually on the road given a relatively small community that posts in forums. Please refrain from voting if you don't own one (i.e. my friend has one that is fine or failed).
Sponsored

Last edited:

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Simple poll to capture some data. There are obviously more gen 1s in circulation than gen 2s so we cant compare the two apples to apples. It's a small snapshot of the vehicles that are actually on the road given a relatively small community that posts in forums. Please refrain from voting if you don't own one (i.e. my friend has one that is fine or failed).
Where would you put a "dividing line" between Gen 1 and 2? Since Ford themselves have never indicated that a Gen 2 exists, and the engine specs are identical regardless of year, anyone with any year can claim to have either engine.

If you want real data, then split the questions into model years.

OP
OP
madweazl

madweazl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Where would you put a "dividing line" between Gen 1 and 2? Since Ford themselves have never indicated that a Gen 2 exists, and the engine specs are identical regardless of year, anyone with any year can claim to have either engine.

If you want real data, then split the questions into model years.
I think the majority of users here will know if they have a Gen 1 or 2.

That_Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 K2284 --> L616
I think we would need a much more detailed poll - a real survey, to glean any real useful or accurate information. And even then, it would be imperfect as we would only reach a subset of owners that are active on the internet, and likely higher engagement among those who have had engine issues than those who have not. If I had to guess, and it's purely a guess, I'd say more like 2-5% would expire within the warranty period. There are lots of complaints for a car that had a low production volume and often isn't driven very much...even if you account for the vocal minority on the internet. I don't think it could be any higher than that because there are too many "it never happened to me you must be driving it wrong" responses out there. Certainly, it is higher than other cars.

I had a 2019, and the engine dropped a valve. it got a replacement engine, and it wasn't any good and had to be replaced before it even left the dealership. So on its third engine well before the odometer even hit 4 digits. So I got out of that car and decided to roll the dice again on a 2020. I am hoping that I was just unlucky the first go around, but am still curious about this issue. Much more on the "why?" question than the "how many?" question, however. It would be fantastic if we could collectively figure out what the root cause(s) of failure are and upgrade some parts and prevent it from happening to us (like an IMS bearing on a Porsche)... although, I suppose if it were easy Ford would have done that already.

OP
OP
madweazl

madweazl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
47infn.jpg

Seriously though, in the wild, you're probably looking at less than 1% failure. The internet (especially youtoob) ensures that the remaining 99.9% have or WILL FAIL, SUBSCRIBE LIKE SHARE SMASH THST BELL-END.
I hope the rate is that small but it still sucks being that 1%.

Sponsored

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had new a 16 GT350 and 17 GT350
Poll means nothing. You will only get your percentage from those that belong to this forum or are on the internet. Theres numerous people that have/have not had engine problems that wouldn't even look for a poll on the internet.

OP
OP
madweazl

madweazl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Poll means nothing. You will only get your percentage from those that belong to this forum or are on the internet. Theres numerous people that have/have not had engine problems that wouldn't even look for a poll on the internet.
I never would have thought of that...

key01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 now gone to a great home.
Complicated issues always sound simple in a poll. It is not simple. Maybe poll GT350 owners who know they ripped on their motor before a proper warm up procedure and then started to consume oil after a period of time. I think a lot of this is user error. In any event, these are tight tolerance and high strung motors that need proper care. I remember back in the 90's when racing, that a Formula 1 motor needed 3-4 hours of warm water circulation prior to START! Yes, the tolerances were so tight in those motors they needed to be warmed up before they were allowed to be started. I know that is an extreme example, but you get the point. Ford has created a very special high performance, naturally aspirated engine and it needs proper attention at all times.

OP
OP
madweazl

madweazl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored
OP
OP
madweazl

madweazl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah even if you double their numbers GT350 total engine failures are likely less than 2%. Doesn't provide an solace to those that have experienced it, but it helps put things in perspective.
With some shared parts of the Predator, I'm curious to see how that pans out too.

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
That's what I was talking about with the youtoobers. Problems on the internet get blown out of proportion. Many people don't go online to talk about anything they own. A good portion of those who do, log in just to bitch about problems. I run into this systemically at work. We service literally 1,000's of clients every year. The 5 people who bother to leave a Yelp/Google review are all irate (and usually their own fault, customer is rarely correct, just always right...)
You are completely right, there was a game called the The Last of Us 2 that basically was universally hated on YouTube and everyone on the internet saying that it was going to be a total flop and yet it smashed records and it is killing it. The internet really is a big echo chamber, it distorts reality.

Last edited: