Sponsored

What is the boosted life like?

Coolmanfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
I'm thinking when my warranty expires i would love to get a Whipple supercharger for my 16 gt. I'm just wondering what that entails.

I'm in Cali where our best fuel is 91, is that okay? Is it harder on the engine and reduce it's lifespan dramatically? Will it make the car less reliable? One thing i love about my gt is i beat on it pretty hard and it's never had an issue.

Also what goes into getting a super charger? Obviously the part itself and a tune but are there any other mods that need to be made?

Thanks I'm still a bit of a noob when it comes to this stuff.
Sponsored

keltymd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP
I'm thinking when my warranty expires i would love to get a Whipple supercharger for my 16 gt. I'm just wondering what that entails.

I'm in Cali where our best fuel is 91, is that okay? Is it harder on the engine and reduce it's lifespan dramatically? Will it make the car less reliable? One thing i love about my gt is i beat on it pretty hard and it's never had an issue.

Also what goes into getting a super charger? Obviously the part itself and a tune but are there any other mods that need to be made?

Thanks I'm still a bit of a noob when it comes to this stuff.
The Whipple kit ( I really recommend stage 2) comes with all you need to run. if you dont do slick/radial dig racing your axles will hold but you will shorten your clutch life a bit.

What is boosted life like? Well Driving a GT is like having relations with your wife. Its fun but you get used to it.

Boosted with a Whipple well its like having relations with all the Maxim cover girls at once. It may kill you but DAMN its worth it.

OP
OP

Coolmanfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
Haha i love the analogy, it gets me excited for sure. I should mention that i have an auto with 3:15

fcarpio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I shit my pants every time I floor it, but I keep doing it. It is addictive.

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
Live in Cali too. My 15 GT PP came boosted when I bought it (used). Never driven a boosted GT before but many stock GTs.

I can put it this way. I passed on buying a new left over '17 GT PP at roughly $7K off MSRP which is a lot off in SoCal. I just thought down low power was a bit lacking for a V8.

With the Whipple S2, about 30 secs into that test drive, I was giddy with "must have, must have" mantra playing in my head. The Whipple has noticeably more torque and if you step on it....holy mother! It's like the car goes into orbit.

You do have a hard time launching hard from a stop due to traction but I found in 90% of driving scenarios the boost is seriously fun to have.

I don't know if I would have spent the $10K w/installation to have it done only b/c I'm cheap. But boosted life is awesome.

Sponsored

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
My last four cars either had a blower or turbo(s). They ranged from 415whp to 750whp. I have settled in on the S550 I have now being perfectly fine NA. When I first bought it I had plans for a twin turbo kit, but I am enjoying the hell out of not having to worry about fuel quality and reliability as much as I did with my FI cars in the past.

Last edited:

rio16

MAD_50HH
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rio
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Whippled Competition Orange
Its like a drug. You get addicted to it.

Whipple Stage 2 is the way to go. Best power out the box. I am in Cali as well I cannot complain having a 701/542 rwhp street car. Bonus is you pass Emissions and get a CARB number lol.

kcc0521

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bo
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT PP
Boosted is fun but it depends on the roads where you live and how much you can get into it. On my car with the Paxton it is doing well over 100 in no time which can be good or gad. Reliability could suffer as well. If I didn't take my car to the track I would leave it NA.

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
Panties fly off at every stop light. Also, traction control hits like a bus.

Last edited:

Sponsored

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
Boosted life is great, sometimes feels like the car has unlimited amount of power. Hard to find places to really take advantage of that though depending on the area you live.

91 is doable, just cant run as much timing as 93+, but there will still be plenty of power to keep you happy.

Only downside, be prepared for things to break. The S550 is very reliable when it comes to boost but you never know, and things will break eventually. My 6R80 broke a few thousand miles after supercharging and it did hit me hard financially. Still worth it though.

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
It makes for a good learning curve. First 3 months spent trying to make the tune that comes with the blower work before finding another tuner. A month or two trying to get a good tune out of that guy. A few weeks of actually getting a solid tune with a 3rd tuner, then 3-4 months of solid fun. Then two months of trying to get a tune that passes emissions, then some more time trying to get that tune to run nicely. All of this while living with the fact that boost doesn’t like guys that only have access to 91 octane. But it is fun as hell driving it every time. Wishing I would have done it sooner in life so this go around wouldn’t have been the learning curve it is/was.

OP
OP

Coolmanfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
So that's one thing that also scares me about being boosted is I'm honestly not mechanically inclined so i would have to rely on my shop for all repairs . Just seems like it could get costly pretty quick. But if there is that much of a difference than i can see it being worth it.

How would a stage 2 whipple pair up with a 285 square set of mpss tires? Too skinny?