Sponsored

What impact will it have on 6-speed sales that PP is no longer exclusive to manuals?

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Anything except shifting when the operator wants it to. ;)
i think thats the hope of the new auto is better control when wanted.

whats funny is i actually have a manual non-PP..

got mine used.. was looking for a PP like most of us wanted but this one had 1700miles and a phase 1 supercharger and i figured that was more important than the bigger brakes
Sponsored

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
Thats shitty programming. The 10 speed shifts faster than the Porsche PDK so there should be no reason why driver input wouldnt be direct on the 10 speed vs the "suggestion" on the current trans.
"manually" shifting an automatic transmission will always, by the nature of what an automatic transmission is, be a suggestion to shift.

MSMStannyl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium - Triple Yellow
People that crave a manual are a diminishing population. That said, I think now that people can get the best handling package with an auto, at least 10-20% will jump ship.

I see it as two boats: people who positively love shifting gears on there own, and people who want raw performance... the best available.. which unfortunately is now the auto.

FWIW... I'm 22. I learned stick specifically because I wanted to buy a Mustang-and I'm not switching until I have to. I've taught four friends my age so far. My generation isn't a lost cause... they just don't ever consider learning because they aren't too concerned/don't have access to a car to learn on. But every friend that rides in my car/learns in my car have said they think it would be fun they just think its hard to learn and they're nervous.
I think your generation prefers auto's because it's easier to keep a phone in your hand when you don't need that 2nd hand to shift gears. ;)

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
How much do you think the percentage of Stangs sold with sticks will decline?

It was a couple years ago now, but I remember reading (back for the S197 platform) that nearly half of all Mustangs sold had a stick. I doubt that percentage has gone down too much even through 2017, but I haven't been able to find those numbers. (Maybe someone who's tried to shop manual Mustangs on the used market has some idea.)

It's conjecture, but I always thought a sizable part of that was probably the fact that you had to get a manual in order to get the performance pack, and now that that's no longer true...

EDIT: The purpose of this thread isn't to start an auto v manual argument. I'm really just wondering what your thoughts are on how sales %s will be affected near term. (And also curious if anyone knows what those numbers look like right now.)
So it's been a few years, but the last time I bought a non-performance car I considered getting an automatic. I figured the car wouldn't be that fun to drive anyway. But there was a roughly $1,000 up charge for the automatic.

It wasn't worth it to me so I bought the manual transmission.

I don't really see PP being available with an automatic changing the numbers of manual transmissions, but then I don't understand why someone would even want to buy PP with automatic. I've see a lot of people post on here that for some reason they want PP and automatic, so I guess there must be some demand for that combination. I know that Camaros and Corvettes sell a ton more automatics than manuals. That has even influenced my buying decision in the past, where I couldn't find a manual transmission Chevy to try. I went to the Ford dealer and there were several. So I bought the Ford.

Anyway that's a lot of talking and now I'm going to say sales of manual transmissions take a 10% hit. No real reason behind that number. I just think it's not a huge number, but there are a significant number of people that want auto/PP.

MSMStannyl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium - Triple Yellow
i dont think there is a CVT that handle the power yet is there? most i hear of are in low power economy cars. i this 10 speed was supposed to be joint efforts of ford and chevy and is supposed to be something next level.. we shall see
The best example I can think of is the current Subaru WRX. It is now offered with a 6 speed manual OR a CVT automatic transmission. While it's not quite at Mustang GT power levels, it's well past economy car status. I think they're around 270hp nowadays?

I have never driven one but I recall reading that there is a sport mode option with the CVT that lets you use paddle shifters on the steering wheel. Obviously, this sounds weird because the CVT has infinite gear ratio's, but somehow it simulates a geared automatic (I think it actually simulates a 7 speed but I'm not positive).

Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
The best example I can think of is the current Subaru WRX. It is now offered with a 6 speed manual OR a CVT automatic transmission. While it's not quite at Mustang GT power levels, it's well past economy car status. I think they're around 270hp nowadays?

I have never driven one but I recall reading that there is a sport mode option with the CVT that lets you use paddle shifters on the steering wheel. Obviously, this sounds weird because the CVT has infinite gear ratio's, but somehow it simulates a geared automatic (I think it actually simulates a 7 speed but I'm not positive).
Toyota does this in the Corolla. Even my CVT will simulate shifts when flooring it to make you "feel" a shift but it still is variable. They honestly did a pretty good job programming this one so it doesn't feel super rubber band like.

My buddy has a 2016 WRX in a 6 speed and it pulls pretty nice for stock. Can't imagine how a CVT would act in that car. I see them as fragile due to the internal mechanics so I wouldn't think it would be susceptible to a torque increase with a bigger turbo unlike a manual.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd

The CVT is miserable and only a few people who own them actually don't admit to regretting buying one. They are very limiting for modding and they really offer nothing as far as performance. My first test drive when the 2015 came out was CVT. Absolutely hated it. Told myself I would not own the 2015. Same dealer happened to have a 6 speed 2 weeks later. Said screw it, test drove it and purchased it on the spot.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
CVT's are made for one thing, economy.

TexArmageddon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette
In all honesty everyone has their own opinions.... nothing we can do about it.

Personally, IMO and thank god it's just my opinion, but I see NO point of bragging or racing if you are honestly afraid to make a mistake. I have no time to see which car is faster.. If I'm making 400whp and you're making 480whp at the same weight, suspension and tires I don't need to waste my time or gas to know what will happen.

Why perform in a sport ( Racing FYI) and then want some entity to do something for you. That Defeats the whole purpose of the sport. Sports by nature are cocky and prideful so why water it down in racing with an Automatic? All being said though, I'm more tolerable with it on track racing.

Back to the main issue though... Quit worrying about PP Man resale values/rates.. I guess everyone here will continue to ignore the big picture. Your resale value/amount will keep dropping as long as your middle class car keeps increasing pass the middle wage income and has to be discounted heavily for the middle class to afford.... Worry about that... not some AUTO stomping on some manual.

OP
OP
RocketGuy3

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
Manuals are fun, and make you FEEL faster.
Yeah, that's one of the best ways to phrase the "sportiness" advantage of a manual. We all know they're slower, but the whole point of going faster in the first place is because it's more fun to feel that speed. If you can "feel" more speed with a manual, then the actual speed of an automatic is utterly useless, except for bragging rights.

Almost none of us are professional race car drivers, and very few even go to the track (and even there, you're only racing against yourself).

Police, "We recovered your Mustang. The bad news is that the only gear not stripped out is reverse. The good news is that the clutch is still in excellent shape. They must not have use it at all."

:lol:
Heh, I was only half joking with that point. Anecdotally speaking, I've now seen a small handful of stories in the news about failed car jackings by people who couldn't drive a stick.

... Shame that it doesn't seem to be worth an insurance discount, though, hah.

Sponsored

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
I hope the popularity of the manual in the US increases because even though manual is bought by the majority in some countries, like Oz and UK, that may not be considered sufficient demand by Ford to retain the manual in the future, which would be a massive shame.

5pointOh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 Ingot Silver "Millennium Falcon" @falcon_s550
Does anyone how much heavier the 10 speed will be over a manual?
the 10 speed is only ~7 lbs heavier than the 6r80. Keep in mind however that the manual is changing as well so it could be a bit heavier with the twin disc clutch and dual mass flywheel.

Rickycardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT auto

Old 5 Oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium AT
Lots of folks will take the AT if they can get it, maybe a third of PP cars. But it may work the other way, too. I ordered the AT without the PP, and would have ordered the PP had I been able to do that. So maybe Ford will sell a few more PP cars out of the deal. Choice is always good.
Sponsored