Sponsored

What impact will it have on 6-speed sales that PP is no longer exclusive to manuals?

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
How much do you think the percentage of Stangs sold with sticks will decline?

It was a couple years ago now, but I remember reading (back for the S197 platform) that nearly half of all Mustangs sold had a stick. I doubt that percentage has gone down too much even through 2017, but I haven't been able to find those numbers. (Maybe someone who's tried to shop manual Mustangs on the used market has some idea.)

It's conjecture, but I always thought a sizable part of that was probably the fact that you had to get a manual in order to get the performance pack, and now that that's no longer true...

EDIT: The purpose of this thread isn't to start an auto v manual argument. I'm really just wondering what your thoughts are on how sales %s will be affected near term. (And also curious if anyone knows what those numbers look like right now.)
Sponsored

Last edited:

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
There will definitely be a hit to the manuals. Autos are just taking over, it's inevitable & as each generation is exposed less & less to them, more will prefer autos (or can't drive a manual). And for city areas which are growing everywhere, autos are preferred for most.

The old argument that manuals are better then autos also isn't true anymore. Autos back in the 80s, 90s, early 2000's sucked but as tech has improved so have they and now they are better then manuals in almost every aspect. And for many the "it doesn't feel like you are driving" just doesn't hold water to most people.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
I still don't get why you would want a PP car with an auto. I feel an auto is a great car for the owners who want to build a strip car for 1/4 times and the manual PP are for those who want to build a track car for HPDE, Autocross. I just don't know a whole lot of people who enjoy using an auto for course/track/twisty road driving. I feel that was the purpose of the PP car. So I honestly don't feel like it will change it too much.

I think it would be cool if Ford offered 2 performance versions like the PP. One built around the idea for track and the other around the strip. Of course track you'd want something with tight, stiff handling, where as you'd want the opposite for a strip car. Offer more of a drag suspension with torque converter, smaller brembo brakes etc.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I would have had an auto if I could have gotten it with PP, I think. Especially, in hindsight, knowing that it is the MT82 and not the Tremec transmission.

I will not be bothered flappy-paddling 10 speeds, though. So far haven't read if they will make it work like a 6-speed (if that's feasible).

Last edited:
OP
OP
RocketGuy3

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There will definitely be a hit to the manuals. Autos are just taking over, it's inevitable & as each generation is exposed less & less to them, more will prefer autos (or can't drive a manual). And for city areas which are growing everywhere, autos are preferred for most.

The old argument that manuals are better then autos also isn't true anymore. Autos back in the 80s, 90s, early 2000's sucked but as tech has improved so have they and now they are better then manuals in almost every aspect. And for many the "it doesn't feel like you are driving" just doesn't hold water to most people.
I understand all that. This isn't meant to be a manual vs automatic debate. I know the manual transmission's days are numbered. Hell, even the days of being able to drive yourself anywhere on public roads with any kind of transmission are numbered, too.

I'm just saying, for the near future, how much of an impact do you see this having on sales.

(There are several practical and subjective advantages to manuals that you are ignoring, though, such as cheaper cost and better resale value, being nearly theft-proof in America these days, and... well it really just is more fun. But I'll try not to get suckered into that debate. Everyone has their priorities.)

Last edited:

Sponsored

DrDing.Muscle

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium GT PP Competition Orange
Yes if the PP would have come in the auto I would have also bought an auto. They are faster than manuals and where I live where there is gridlocked traffic all the time it would have been a no brainer.

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
I understand all that. This isn't meant to be a manual vs automatic debate. I know the manual transmission's days are numbered. Hell, even the days of being able to drive yourself anywhere on public roads are numbered with any kind of transmission, too.

I'm just saying, for the near future, how much of an impact do you see this having on sales.

(There are several practical and subjective advantages to manuals that you are ignoring, though, such as cheaper cost and better resale value, being nearly theft-proof in America these days, and... well it really just is more fun. But I'll try not to get suckered into that debate. Everyone has their priorities.)
If you're asking % then I'd said manuals take a 20% hit at least. And I'm not making a manual vs auto argument, I'm stating why automatics are preferred now. Also I wouldn't say it helps resale. I'd say at this point it might be a hindrance since most don't drive manuals.

I still don't get why you would want a PP car with an auto. I feel an auto is a great car for the owners who want to build a strip car for 1/4 times and the manual PP are for those who want to build a track car for HPDE, Autocross. I just don't know a whole lot of people who enjoy using an auto for course/track/twisty road driving. I feel that was the purpose of the PP car. So I honestly don't feel like it will change it too much.

I think it would be cool if Ford offered 2 performance versions like the PP. One built around the idea for track and the other around the strip. Of course track you'd want something with tight, stiff handling, where as you'd want the opposite for a strip car. Offer more of a drag suspension with torque converter, smaller brembo brakes etc.
I think some people want the handling of the PP in their autos. They probably don't need all the other stuff but some people just want it.

Rambl3r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 PP GT
Times are changing. I'd say 25-30% hit in manual sales, unfortunately.

golfstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White EB
People that crave a manual are a diminishing population. That said, I think now that people can get the best handling package with an auto, at least 10-20% will jump ship.

I see it as two boats: people who positively love shifting gears on there own, and people who want raw performance... the best available.. which unfortunately is now the auto.

FWIW... I'm 22. I learned stick specifically because I wanted to buy a Mustang-and I'm not switching until I have to. I've taught four friends my age so far. My generation isn't a lost cause... they just don't ever consider learning because they aren't too concerned/don't have access to a car to learn on. But every friend that rides in my car/learns in my car have said they think it would be fun they just think its hard to learn and they're nervous.

OP
OP
RocketGuy3

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you're asking % then I'd said manuals take a 20% hit at least. And I'm not making a manual vs auto argument, I'm stating why automatics are preferred now. Also I wouldn't say it helps resale. I'd say at this point it might be a hindrance since most don't drive manuals.
The resale value thing is not a matter of opinion or conjecture. It's a fact. Manuals almost always have better resale value. Presumably because among the people who want a stick shift, a higher percentage of them want to buy used cars instead of new.

Sponsored

offroadkarter

Threads
Reaction score
Website
offroadkarter.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I see your point, but the counter argument would be you have flappy paddles and (hopefully) a well responding auto which can still work wonders on a track.

You know what would really help with manual trans sales? Give us a 6spd that isn't out of a transit van and assembled in china. :shrug:

Agent_S550

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT PP
While most people like to say the manual is dead, I'd argue against that as most people my age (20-30s) that don't know how to drive manual often desire too. So while MT cars will take a rough 20% hit, I don't believe the manual is dead. I believe it will become an obscurity.

My expectation is that many will run to buy automatic cars, PP or not. Once the newness is worn off and the cars get some age, the automatic will be common and the manual will be the unicorn to find and offer better resale value. Just imagine if terminators came automatic by majority and only a few were manuals. Yea.. you get my point.

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
I have a feeling 2019 will be the last year of the Manual Transmission for the Mustang.
If so, I'm grabbing a 2018-19 GT w/ Manual and keeping that forever.

Sad because it was always cool to say that your car was a stick shift and knowing that the other person most likely couldn't operate it lol. But technology is favoring the lazy so I can see why Auto is going to take over.

Rickycardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT auto
The manual isn't dead but it's necessity for a performance car is fading away. Most advanced super cars are flappy paddle machines. This will become more evident when hybrid performance vehicles become commonplace in the market. Manufacturers aren't going to spend all that money developing a performance hybrid just to hand the gear selection over to a human.
And for what its worth I've run my automatic over the road course several times and it did just fine. It would have done even better in PP trim.

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
While most people like to say the manual is dead, I'd argue against that as most people my age (20-30s) that don't know how to drive manual often desire too. So while MT cars will take a rough 20% hit, I don't believe the manual is dead. I believe it will become an obscurity.

My expectation is that many will run to buy automatic cars, PP or not. Once the newness is worn off and the cars get some age, the automatic will be common and the manual will be the unicorn to find and offer better resale value. Just imagine if terminators came automatic by majority and only a few were manuals. Yea.. you get my point.
if terminators came with a fast shifting 10 speed auto or a 6 speed manual. id be interested to know what the sales figures would. be anything pre 2011 auto was almost junk.. like said already the only people still wanting manuals are the ones that just like the novelty or think it makes them more manly. its like a "shaker hood" it does almost nothing just gets in the way of boost.

manual sales will fall which means more money as autos cost more.. i drive a manual but would be fine with a fast shifting 10 speed auto with decent paddles.
Sponsored