Sponsored

Well its been fun s550 family but i sold my 2016 gtpp and bought a 2014 GT500

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
We said the same thing about the fox body, now there are restoration parts available with more showing up regularly. We thought EFI was the end of hot rodding, now look where we are. CAN bus? Forscan. Anybody who thinks one particular innovation is the end of it all hasn't been paying attention.
I'm just talking about parts availability and, perhaps more importantly, cost, which will directly affect the viability of the ordinary Joe keeping his Mustang on the road. For example, Summit sells a complete LED tail light assembly for a 1966 for less than $100, incandescent are even cheaper. What's the current price on an S550 tail light assembly (at Summit anyway, $600+, but not in stock) and how much will it be in 25 years?
Sponsored

Rick#7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 50 Years Appearance Package
We said the same thing about the fox body, now there are restoration parts available with more showing up regularly. We thought EFI was the end of hot rodding, now look where we are. CAN bus? Forscan. Anybody who thinks one particular innovation is the end of it all hasn't been paying attention.
All of that is true, however the Fox platform is now over 40 years old, and it was the longest production run of any Mustang generation spanning 15 years, plus it was the platform in use during the revival of the corporate horsepower wars after a dark 10 year period of dismal factory performance options. Point being, by the time the 1st Foxes were 20 years old and a lot car guys stared feeling nostalgic about them, there were still a lot of them on the road and a huge potential market for the parts suppliers to cater to, and yet it still took nearly 20 more years to get to the point of being able to just look online for what you need and click click, have it sent to you. There's a natural aging curve for the parts supply for any car, after 10 years, the factory replacement parts start to get scarce, by 20 years it takes some serious searching to find some of the obscure parts, but if the platform was popular enough, by 25-30 years there's enough interest in maintaining enough of the cars that the aftermarket will step in to fill the need. If you have a car you really want to hold onto, like an S550, you just have to be resourceful enough to get through the transition period of it just being an old car with limited parts availability to a cool classic with good restoration support

NJMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Trackhawk-2" Kooks, pully, CAI, cat back
Vehicle Showcase
One thing for sure is if I had keep my 13, I would have done the 3:73 rear gears as the stock 3:31 is just too tall.
I thought it would really come alive with the 3:73's.
I had a 2014 GT Track Pack - 600WHP and the 3.73 was too much gear, changed to 3.31 and it was much better to drive, launch etc. around town I was between 4th & 5th gear at 40-45 which was annoying.
EDIT-Of course the trans gearing is different,

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
All of that is true, however the Fox platform is now over 40 years old, and it was the longest production run of any Mustang generation spanning 15 years, plus it was the platform in use during the revival of the corporate horsepower wars after a dark 10 year period of dismal factory performance options. Point being, by the time the 1st Foxes were 20 years old and a lot car guys stared feeling nostalgic about them, there were still a lot of them on the road and a huge potential market for the parts suppliers to cater to, and yet it still took nearly 20 more years to get to the point of being able to just look online for what you need and click click, have it sent to you. There's a natural aging curve for the parts supply for any car, after 10 years, the factory replacement parts start to get scarce, by 20 years it takes some serious searching to find some of the obscure parts, but if the platform was popular enough, by 25-30 years there's enough interest in maintaining enough of the cars that the aftermarket will step in to fill the need. If you have a car you really want to hold onto, like an S550, you just have to be resourceful enough to get through the transition period of it just being an old car with limited parts availability to a cool classic with good restoration support
True. It doesn't hurt that the Fox was basically the '57 Chevy of the '80s and '90s.

However, there are still quite a few Fox parts that are unobtanium. Ever try to find a front marker light or motor mount for an SVO? Certain dash harnesses are nonexistent as well.

Still, the Fox cars are a much simpler car than an S550. Are future resto parts suppliers going to offer the various control modules in these things? Time will tell...

Last edited:

DemonGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Mustang GT, 2021 Mustang GT PP1
...I don't know if I would brag about buying an 8 yo car???????
If low miles, how about age related breakdown of wires, seals and other
electronic items and parts?
People are still buying foxbodies and driving them, calm down. :cwl:

Sponsored

stanger1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2013 Shelby GT500-Sold, 2017 Roush RS3
I had a 2014 GT Track Pack - 600WHP and the 3.73 was too much gear, changed to 3.31 and it was much better to drive, launch etc. around town I was between 4th & 5th gear at 40-45 which was annoying.
EDIT-Of course the trans gearing is different,

The 13-14 Shelby GT500 Transmission ratios are completely different from the Mustang GT MT82, so really can't be compared.

oneheadlite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 2008 Saturn Sky Redline
People are still buying foxbodies and driving them, calm down. :cwl:
...whew!!!!!!

Boy, did you put me in my place...............................:clap: :ontheloo:

DemonGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Mustang GT, 2021 Mustang GT PP1
...whew!!!!!!

Boy, did you put me in my place...............................:clap: :ontheloo:
If you took what i said as me putting you in your place then im guessing that emoji
is of you peeing sitting down.

oneheadlite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 2008 Saturn Sky Redline
If you took what i said as me putting you in your place then im guessing that emoji
is of you peeing sitting down.
...No.
Taking a dump and being thankful that I don't have an old car.......................:like:

IMadeYouReadThis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT manual
I think the 6th gen is the nicer looking car, but to each their own. congratulations on the new ride

Sponsored

MajHazrd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Performance Package
Awesome car. Congratulations

stanger1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2013 Shelby GT500-Sold, 2017 Roush RS3
One thing about the 13-14 Shelby's is that it can really be driven around town in 2nd gear in most City situations.
Starting out in 2nd requires a little clutch slipping, but I had tried it just to see.
And 2nd is good for way above legal in town speed limits.
If my 13 Shelby had been a Grabber blue like the 17 Roush, I probably would have kept the car.