Water leak from wheel well

jt021119

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
So many leaks in this thing it's driving me crazy. So far 2 have been fixed. Front windshield seam, and third brake light. There is a leak somewhere coming from the wheel well area, and I notice puddels in front of the passenger rear tire even when it's not raining. The inside is bone dry, so I dont know where or how to access this area. ANyone go through this? Thank you for any help!

IMG_20230218_153853.jpg

IMG_20230218_153903.jpg

IMG_20230218_153906.jpg

IMG_20230227_081104.jpg

IMG_20230227_081122.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP

jt021119

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Not sure. I don't use the AC or defrost. How do you access it?

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
If your climate control is set on auto you may be using it without realizing it.
I've never specifically looked for it on the Mustang but the passenger side is where they are mostly located.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Relax, it's not inside the car. It's not a leak at all.

It's either normal condensation draining off, or your HVAC drain.

Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
From another thread on here

On all the S550’s the drainage should be at the firewall, passenger side (US spec).

You’ll have to get the car on ramps or a lift and get under it - look up at firewall you should see the drainage area coming out of the firewall. There will be a large black gasket at firewall (this is backside of HVAC box, the drain tube exists the middle of it.

OP
OP

jt021119

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
They are huge puddles under the car. On sunny days. I've never used the AC or defrost in this car. It's not coming from a drain it's coming from a seam underneath above the quarter panel window

IMG_20230218_153915.jpg

IMG_20230218_153906.jpg

OP
OP

jt021119

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
This is the back end of the car

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
I'd be more worried about how water is getting into your car instead of how it's getting out.

OP
OP

jt021119

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Exactly. I fixed 2 leaks already it's been to Ford and 2 body shops with no answers. The car is sitting and is not being driven at the moment, and puddles are found days after it rains

Sponsored

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
R U Sure it is coming from the seam, and not collecting on the plastic rocker ex. and dripping off that plastic part near where it is shown in your photo's.
I say this because if it was coming out of the middle of two sheets of metal, the outside of the metal would not be wet. and it looks it. if it was seeping from the spot welded seem, it not run up the outside of the sheet.
help.jpg

OP
OP

jt021119

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
R U Sure it is coming from the seam, and not collecting on the plastic rocker ex. and dripping off that plastic part near where it is shown in your photo's.
I say this because if it was coming out of the middle of two sheets of metal, the outside of the metal would not be wet. and it looks it. if it was seeping from the spot welded seem, it not run up the outside of the sheet.
help.jpg
Not sure to be honest. It has to be coming from inside somewhere. Like I said the car hasnt been driven in months.

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
Not sure to be honest. It has to be coming from inside somewhere. Like I said the car hasnt been driven in months.
Check the door drain holes. it could be draining slowly, onto the rocker, and then down the underside.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
---- Also to note I thought your thread looked familiar too.... You had already created this thread which is nearly identical in nature .... and I also had posted in that prior thread several areas to check on an S550 for water leaks. It had appeared you found or narrowed your research and fixed maybe 1 or the possible leak? I'm confused I guess because the images are the exact same in both threads now (past and current).
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/floor-pan-patches.185211/#post-3726855

Just a helpful tip:
We can help better if sticking to and remaining in the original thread, so that we're not on a wild goose chase trying to diagnose something that appears "new" that may have already been worked to diagnose previously. :)

-----------
Looking closely at your images again, the black plastic rocker appears to be damp. With that said, at the corner of your passenger door, there also appears to be a witness mark that is stained diagonally on the exterior metal and flows down onto and off the black rocker as well. This would be indicative of water draining from the door onto the inner rocker (metal), then "weeping" out from the corner onto the exterior metal and down the black plastic rocker.

Another thing too - we can't tell from the images if the car is totally level, or if it's sitting on a pitched driveway/road surface. The way your images were taken it *almost* looks like the surface is pitched down, meaning the car would be angled with the rear sloped "downward" - and if so, all water from within the door is going to drain "backward". Even the slightest pitch will cause this and if prolonged, the witness staining will be more obvious (on any vehicle) as that would be the path of least resistance for water draining IF the vehicle is always parked in the same manner on the same surface.

I could be totally wrong, but making your pics larger - that is what I'm seeing in the images that would cause that pooling in that spot.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
The door water drains are here :

1677763920581.png

I still get waxy residue coming out of them (enlarge the above photo), staining the paint and the plastic rocker that requires periodic cleaning to remove ...

The mustang window seals are crap (they let a lot get inside the door) so once it exits the bottom, it's at the mercy of gravity and the angle of the car to determine where exactly it will finally drip off onto the floor :like:

WD :like:
Sponsored