Washing in Arizona summer heat - help!

spedy7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
1966 Mustang coupe, 2023 GT
Hey y'all, I could really use some help here. With us hitting 100+ now (and the god damn wind...jesus christ), any recommendations for washing and drying on a bit of a budget? My car is mainly a daily and sits outside when I'm not driving my other car, plus the parking at work has a bunch of trees that just spew pollen and sap everywhere. I normally do a 2 bucket wash, wash the wheels first, wash the body, and then speed run drying before the water air drys - all with wash mit, microfibers, and waffle weave towels. Sometimes I hit it with some spray wax afterwards. Currently renting with some roommates, so washing in the garage is no (but would be my go-to if I could).

I've kinda "fallen" into the "Chemical Guys trap" with their wash and wax soap as my go-to as well as their towels, and Meguiers or Turtle Wax quick wax. Any recommendations for some decent soaps, protectant, and towels? I could also really use some guidance on drying too - literally just got done washing my car and the water evaporates so quickly, I have next to no time to dry it before water spots start to settle in.

Planning on going with a ceramic coat sometime soon once I have the funds ($1500).
Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
The local automatic touchless.

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
I too was a Chemical guys junkie for a while. Even went to the store a few towns away. Definitely look at DFB sticky at the top "what's in DFB's cabinet. Lots of good advice and product discussion there I have learned a lot. That said Chemical guys do have some decent products but having 20 different varieties to do the same thing is ridiculous, only marketing hype. I now really love Carpro and Koch Chemie stuff a lot. Gyeon and Gtechniq is good too. Can't go wrong with any of these. I do know Koch Chemie has a quick detailer style spray that is specifically designed to help remove water spots(Fse). As for towels and supplies I could spend my life savings on the Rag company website.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
I try to wash in the morning or evening when the sun is setting during the summers, it gets 100+ here, too. Additionally, spray the entire car with water after you've washed and rinsed it, then immediately dry it as quickly as possible, starting with the portions that face the sun. Have clean microfiber towels ready, one in each hand, dry quickly. You could also use a leaf blower to get 90% of the water off and reduce spotting, but that portion of water that remains dries very fast, so you have to be quick with the leaf blower, and again, blow the surfaces that face the sun last, then dry those portions immediately with your towels.

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Hey y'all, I could really use some help here. With us hitting 100+ now (and the god damn wind...jesus christ), any recommendations for washing and drying on a bit of a budget? My car is mainly a daily and sits outside when I'm not driving my other car, plus the parking at work has a bunch of trees that just spew pollen and sap everywhere. I normally do a 2 bucket wash, wash the wheels first, wash the body, and then speed run drying before the water air drys - all with wash mit, microfibers, and waffle weave towels. Sometimes I hit it with some spray wax afterwards. Currently renting with some roommates, so washing in the garage is no (but would be my go-to if I could).

I've kinda "fallen" into the "Chemical Guys trap" with their wash and wax soap as my go-to as well as their towels, and Meguiers or Turtle Wax quick wax. Any recommendations for some decent soaps, protectant, and towels? I could also really use some guidance on drying too - literally just got done washing my car and the water evaporates so quickly, I have next to no time to dry it before water spots start to settle in.

Planning on going with a ceramic coat sometime soon once I have the funds ($1500).
In terms of dealing with heat and water evaporation, considering you don't have a garage or undercover area to wash, this means washing early or late in the day. That relates to direct sun exposure, but also ambient temperature. Its also nicer on your body as well as the car.

In this situation, where high heat and evaporation are a factor, you want to make sure your soap is pH neutral. This in simple terms is safer on the paint if it does happen to dry on the car.

One soap I have found great with this situation is Adam's Car Shampoo, the blue one. Cheap (for you guys in the USA at least), excellent slickness, excellent foaming, and deals well with heat or direct sunlight (usually a no-no, but sometimes that's how it is.)

Adam's Polishes Car Wash Shampoo | Ph Neutral Car Care Foaming Soap (adamspolishes.com)

nov32.jpg

Otherwise, look at Koch Chemie GSF (expensive, but simply excellent), or Carpro Reset (expensive by hyper concentrated so you use less). For the price, its hard to beat the Adam's though. Any can be used in a bucket or foam cannon.

Koch-Chemie - Gentle Snow Foam | The Rag Company
Skys The Limit Car Care (carpro-us.com)

For drying, invest in a battery powered leaf blower to remove the bulk of the water, then use a towel to mop up the rest. The Rag Company have a great range, but I would suggest going straight to the Gauntlet, in either 15x24 or 20x30 sizes. I use the smaller version.

The Gauntlet Microfiber Drying Towel | The Rag Company

I would also suggest looking into the concept of a "drying aid". This helps lubricate the towel, but also helps with any water that has dried on the surface before you get it. I have linked the following videos, but you can use any detail spray or spray sealant or spray wax. I would suggest P&S Paint Gloss (which has anti-static properties/dust repellency) or Adam's Slick and Slide.

P&S Detail Products - Paint Gloss Showroom Spray N Shine | Rag Company – The Rag Company
Adam's Slick & Slide - Adam's Polishes (adamspolishes.com)

Full Maintenance Wash -

I made this thread to list everything I use regularly or recommend, a quick reference to help you with purchasing -

DFB'S LITTLE BLACK BOOK OF DETAILING 2022 | 2015+ S550 Mustang Forum (GT, EcoBoost, GT350, GT500, Bullitt, Mach 1) - Mustang6G.com

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I deal with similar issues here, the sun is brutal in the summer. I wash at night, using an LED lamp. I also typically do rinseless washing for maintenance. For "real" washes if the car is fairly dirty, I use a bay style coin op wash, then spray wax and wipe dry with microfibers.

The main thing here to realize is that with cars stored outside 24/7, you'll never get it perfect. You have to accept "good enough", or you'll lose your mind. If you can afford it, a ceramic coating helps a lot.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Hey y'all, I could really use some help here.
You've come to the best place on Planet Earth for your question, my friend and you've seen what our resident SUPER EXPERT has to offer for all our questions. @DFB5.0 has taught us an ENORMOUS amount of info to cover every conceivable detailing question imaginable.

And now you have access to The Book which will not only keep you anxiously reading all the excellent recommendations and procedures even the MOST OCD detailer will find helpful.

Being in south Texas, we are also subject to the oppressive heat. Unfortunately, you don't have an area out of the sun so I'd say morning is the only time that is acceptable. Evening is still too hot and by the time it cools, it's way past sundown.

D's recommendation for a drying aid may be the best advice of all. You'll still have to hump it to avoid spots but it's doable if you work a section at a time while keeping the rest of the car wet with an extra spray from the hose or pressure washer every now and then.

Meanwhile, bring on the questions, D has the answers.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Sun and higher altitude (quicker evaporation/drying) here can make for great drive days and poor wash days.

I read the comments on the housing situation and garage. IDK if on wash days only you can coordinate something, just one space.

I wash in the early morning, when it's coolest. Early sunrise can be some of the best times to drive. If driven earlier, I park in the garage. I pop the hood, to allow the body and engine to cool down. Wait one hour. While that's going on, I stage any materials needed.

Once back on the driveway, I wash the body first. I move at a brisk, steady pace. As others have mentioned, I often double-back, spritzing modest amounts of water on the surface, keeping it wet and cool.

After drying the exterior, I then focus on the wheels.

Finish by doing a parade lap around the block (small block), allowing any hidden water to release itself, to include the barrels of the wheels and to scrub the brake discs.

Back in the garage, I'll wipe off any remaining water from body or rims.

I've been migrating away from CG (1. confusing product line, 2. products don't last, 3. often poor product results). I do continue to use one item: Meticulous Matte Auto Wash.

https://www.chemicalguys.com/meticulous-matte-auto-wash/meticulous-matte-auto-wash.html

This soap is PH neutral and it's just soap. No image enhancers, silicones, waxes, etc.

Ballistica

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
The ceramic coating will help with drying immensely, especially with a good electric leaf blower. I had mine coated and bought the Ego 765 from Lowe’s with the stubby tip off Amazon. Drying now takes only a few mins and then a quick chase of the left over droplets with a microfiber. @DFB5.0 really helped me get this workflow down.

MACHtobers Very Own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang MACH 1
I deal with similar issues here, the sun is brutal in the summer. I wash at night, using an LED lamp. I also typically do rinseless washing for maintenance. For "real" washes if the car is fairly dirty, I use a bay style coin op wash, then spray wax and wipe dry with microfibers.

The main thing here to realize is that with cars stored outside 24/7, you'll never get it perfect. You have to accept "good enough", or you'll lose your mind. If you can afford it, a ceramic coating helps a lot.
THIS PART! Mine is outside 24/7 and yeah I had to just accept it )= drive it or don't it gets dirty was the most frustrating

Sponsored

767.mph

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.stromspeed.com
First Name
Marcus
Vehicle(s)
1965 FFR Cobra, ‘21 Mustang Mach-1
Ah yes, AZ summertime washing. Been here for 20 years. And a battle it’s been.
From washing very early morning or late night (to get any/all shade) to washing the car IN the garage to slow the evaporation. Couple of learnings over the years:
  • Deionized water or soft water directly from your water softener REALLY helps to get ride of the water spots because of the quick evap of water that contain almost no minerals for those spots.
  • Leaf blower is awesome (as others mentioned). Keep the entire car as wet as possible before you start then hammer the whole car top-down with a microfiber in hand for the small drops that keep moving around in ya. (Also do this in the shade)
  • The biggest help recently has been Ceramic Coating. I was on the fence so long and thought it was BS until I had it professionally done. This alone has made cleaning very easy, especially with bugs and water spots. Coat everything: body, glass, rubber moldings, everything. It’s excellent at sheding water but most importantly anything dry also comes off just as easy. Dried bugs even wipe off without water!

Washing in AZ summers suck, but ceramic has brought the stress level down a few notches and totally worth it to me. ☀

Mustangmatty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
Vehicle Showcase
My solution to the AZ bs heat is a CRSpotless Dic-20 and either a 5:00a start time (cooler) or wait until evening when the house shades the driveway (hotter but no sun).

In the beginning I did full time ionized water - rise,wash,rise if I was full sun middle of the day type wash but that chews filters up fast. Now I just have a system where I hook everything up and can switch valves for final rise via the CR Spotless. It’s not the cheapest solution but has avoided Water spots on both my vehicles. I honestly would almost give up on washing if I did not have the CRSpotless.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
+1 for Adams shampoo, it’s really good. As for drying and water spots, also +1 for a drying aid. Adam’s Detail Spray is another good one and since any water spots would be “fresh”, the detail spray and towel should take those out. Early morning is the best time to wash, before the sun really gets going. The dry heat definitely doesn’t help, at least here it’s humid in the summer and helps the water linger a little longer (but not much). I used a canopy the last time I washed my car to keep the sun off, maybe purchase one of those?

IMG_1647.jpeg

OP
OP
spedy7

spedy7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
1966 Mustang coupe, 2023 GT
In terms of dealing with heat and water evaporation, considering you don't have a garage or undercover area to wash, this means washing early or late in the day. That relates to direct sun exposure, but also ambient temperature. Its also nicer on your body as well as the car.

In this situation, where high heat and evaporation are a factor, you want to make sure your soap is pH neutral. This in simple terms is safer on the paint if it does happen to dry on the car.

One soap I have found great with this situation is Adam's Car Shampoo, the blue one. Cheap (for you guys in the USA at least), excellent slickness, excellent foaming, and deals well with heat or direct sunlight (usually a no-no, but sometimes that's how it is.)

Adam's Polishes Car Wash Shampoo | Ph Neutral Car Care Foaming Soap (adamspolishes.com)

nov32.jpg

Otherwise, look at Koch Chemie GSF (expensive, but simply excellent), or Carpro Reset (expensive by hyper concentrated so you use less). For the price, its hard to beat the Adam's though. Any can be used in a bucket or foam cannon.

Koch-Chemie - Gentle Snow Foam | The Rag Company
Skys The Limit Car Care (carpro-us.com)

For drying, invest in a battery powered leaf blower to remove the bulk of the water, then use a towel to mop up the rest. The Rag Company have a great range, but I would suggest going straight to the Gauntlet, in either 15x24 or 20x30 sizes. I use the smaller version.

The Gauntlet Microfiber Drying Towel | The Rag Company

I would also suggest looking into the concept of a "drying aid". This helps lubricate the towel, but also helps with any water that has dried on the surface before you get it. I have linked the following videos, but you can use any detail spray or spray sealant or spray wax. I would suggest P&S Paint Gloss (which has anti-static properties/dust repellency) or Adam's Slick and Slide.

P&S Detail Products - Paint Gloss Showroom Spray N Shine | Rag Company – The Rag Company
Adam's Slick & Slide - Adam's Polishes (adamspolishes.com)

Full Maintenance Wash -

I made this thread to list everything I use regularly or recommend, a quick reference to help you with purchasing -

DFB'S LITTLE BLACK BOOK OF DETAILING 2022 | 2015+ S550 Mustang Forum (GT, EcoBoost, GT350, GT500, Bullitt, Mach 1) - Mustang6G.com
Thank you! I completely forgot about Adam's, heard about them but never used their stuff. The local huge Ace carries some of their products, I'll have to see what they have. With all the different companies and products it gets a little confusing to me on what soap does what and what it's best used for.

Normally I aim for early morning for a wash, but that gets to be a pain if the driveway is full and nobody leaves their keys out and/or if I stay up a bit too late. The only issue I have now with drying is the water dries up too damn fast so a blower is probably a no. I'll order a couple new large towels though, I think the CG ones hit their usage limit. I've also used CG drying aid in the past, worked pretty well until I ran out and forgot to order more. I'll give Adam's Slick and Slide a shot if Ace carries it. We also started carrying P&S stuff at work too, so I'll see what we have from them.

You really know your stuff, lots of good info within your "Little" Black Book! Thanks again!

Sun and higher altitude (quicker evaporation/drying) here can make for great drive days and poor wash days.

I read the comments on the housing situation and garage. IDK if on wash days only you can coordinate something, just one space.

I wash in the early morning, when it's coolest. Early sunrise can be some of the best times to drive. If driven earlier, I park in the garage. I pop the hood, to allow the body and engine to cool down. Wait one hour. While that's going on, I stage any materials needed.

Once back on the driveway, I wash the body first. I move at a brisk, steady pace. As others have mentioned, I often double-back, spritzing modest amounts of water on the surface, keeping it wet and cool.

After drying the exterior, I then focus on the wheels.

Finish by doing a parade lap around the block (small block), allowing any hidden water to release itself, to include the barrels of the wheels and to scrub the brake discs.

Back in the garage, I'll wipe off any remaining water from body or rims.

I've been migrating away from CG (1. confusing product line, 2. products don't last, 3. often poor product results). I do continue to use one item: Meticulous Matte Auto Wash.

https://www.chemicalguys.com/meticulous-matte-auto-wash/meticulous-matte-auto-wash.html

This soap is PH neutral and it's just soap. No image enhancers, silicones, waxes, etc.
That's roughly the normal routine I do, although I more aggressively rinse the entire car after washing one section just to keep it from getting too dry.

With the garage situation, the main 2 car has my roommate's project that doesn't move (no engine yet) and the other space is too narrow. I could probably try the 1 car bay my '66 is in, it's just a lot of shuffling of cars and things to open up space (anyone need a 289?). It also tends to wake the dead with a GT350 style exhaust.

Ah yes, AZ summertime washing. Been here for 20 years. And a battle it’s been.
From washing very early morning or late night (to get any/all shade) to washing the car IN the garage to slow the evaporation. Couple of learnings over the years:
  • Deionized water or soft water directly from your water softener REALLY helps to get ride of the water spots because of the quick evap of water that contain almost no minerals for those spots.
  • Leaf blower is awesome (as others mentioned). Keep the entire car as wet as possible before you start then hammer the whole car top-down with a microfiber in hand for the small drops that keep moving around in ya. (Also do this in the shade)
  • The biggest help recently has been Ceramic Coating. I was on the fence so long and thought it was BS until I had it professionally done. This alone has made cleaning very easy, especially with bugs and water spots. Coat everything: body, glass, rubber moldings, everything. It’s excellent at sheding water but most importantly anything dry also comes off just as easy. Dried bugs even wipe off without water!

Washing in AZ summers suck, but ceramic has brought the stress level down a few notches and totally worth it to me. ☀
We do have a water softener here, the landlord of this place swapped old water softeners before we moved in from a normal salt type to what looks like an ion-exchange type and I believe the line I use from the garage runs after the softener, which may partially explain the quick drying water (I've noticed it with my coffee oddly, dries and stains mugs quicker). I don't notice many hard water spots, mainly just stains from water that wasn't wiped away. Still looks unsightly...

Looks like I have some shopping and re-planning to do lol. While I'm aiming for perfection, I know that's not possible with a daily. Just trying to keep it as clean as I can! Thanks again for everyone's help! 🤘

2016S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shopping
Before I had the setup and option to wash at home (condo before) I would go to one of those car wash places with the individual bays. I would go when it was not busy so that I was not holding someone else up or have the owner giving me dirty looks if on site. Some may even post against hand washing and it will cost you two cycles of paying. I would bring my own mit, bucket, and shampoo but use the car wash for protection from the sun and the initial wash then final rinse after hand washing with my stuff. Again it holds up others so it may not work if your local wash places are always busy. These days I am finding these types of car washes are disappearing for complete drive thru places.

A battery powered blower and a drying aide will also make things much easier in the end.
Sponsored