Convertible Top Lifespan?

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
The best thing you can do for your convertible top is to keep it raised whenever you aren't driving it. You don't want to allow creases to set and dirt and moisture to accumulate in the folds. As has been mentioned, keep it clean and use something like Ragtop. My convertible is a "garage queen". It gets driven about 2500 miles per year and gets put away in the winter. I usually get it washed and detailed in spring and have the top treated. That is all it really needs. I haven't replaced a top since 1963 and I have had a lot of convertibles. They used to be my daily drivers, even in winter. There's nothing quite like driving a 95 Viper in a Wisconsin winter. They didn't have roll up windows and you can't scrape ice and snow off side curtains.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Reddirocket27

Reddirocket27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2018 CPO EB Prem Conv w/ 201A
REALLY glad to hear they changed from hydrolic to electric motors for 18+. Watching the videos of people bleeding the cylinders and pouring new fluid in, insane. Does anyone have any info where the front cowl drains are? I checked both rear drains from underneath and they're clear but I can't figure out the front.

sebounet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 conv gt auto, var exhaust,shaker, safety pack
Since 2015 it s no more hydraulic

sebounet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

OP
OP
Reddirocket27

Reddirocket27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Yes, the front drains at the base of the windshield have mesh on them, but can still let pine needles etc in. When they clog up, water can back up into the footwells. I'd like to clean them out every few months to avoid future issues.

sebounet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, the front drains at the base of the windshield have mesh on them, but can still let pine needles etc in. When they clog up, water can back up into the footwells. I'd like to clean them out every few months to avoid future issues.
When i clean my car i always check if water goes out through the holes And it s always the case. So i have never thought to find a way to unclogged them. I clean my car once a week summer or winter, and it is in my garage when at home

Last edited:

sebounet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have found a video but for a previous model, i understand better where the water can be after the hole. It should be about the same for 2015 +

OP
OP
Reddirocket27

Reddirocket27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
I have found a video but for a previous model, i understand better where the water can be after the hole. It should be about the same for 2015 +
EXACTLY what I mean! Thank you! I hope the 15+ is as easy. I wonder if those rubber pieces are necessary, since they are a clog point...

Tim_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning blue S550 Coyote convertible
Surely this affects coupes as well?
Sponsored