Warped Rotors Already?

OP
OP

TaylorJames

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I made sure to have ~10 min of cool down time after each session at the track. I tracked it a few months ago and this issue didn't come up for at least a month after. Ill try bedding in the brakes again (stock pads). I live in an apartment, don't really have space to work on the car myself. Hopefully by next year ill have my own garage to do the work myself.

Waiting to here back from the dealer to see what they say. Ill post back with their response.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I made sure to have ~10 min of cool down time after each session at the track. I tracked it a few months ago and this issue didn't come up for at least a month after. Ill try bedding in the brakes again (stock pads). I live in an apartment, don't really have space to work on the car myself. Hopefully by next year ill have my own garage to do the work myself.

Waiting to here back from the dealer to see what they say. Ill post back with their response.

Thanks!
That's excessive. All you need is one lap going as fast as you can without using the brakes (as little braking time and pressure possible), then park the car in gear with no E-brake.

OP
OP

TaylorJames

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Just got a call back from the Dealer. Rotors are in fact warped. They tested the rotors with a micrometer. After all your responses I was convinced that it was brake residue, i'm surprised the dealer called back confirming warped rotors. New rotors are being covered under warranty.

The reason I initially thought the rotors were warped is because the brake feel did not have any vibrations, just pulsating. Wouldn't brake residue buildup be more of a vibrating/noisy feel?

OP
OP

TaylorJames

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
That's excessive. All you need is one lap going as fast as you can without using the brakes (as little braking time and pressure possible), then park the car in gear with no E-brake.
It was a private track day so all cooldown was done strolling around an open parking lot after each session.

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Uneven pad deposits can be a violent pulsing in the steering. Are you on stock pads?

Sponsored

Zombo

befejezett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack - Race Red, Blk Roof - G5405
Back in the day when I was concerned about such things, I remember reading a White Paper about "Brake Warping". Below may be the one.

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-support/technical-white-papers/-warped-brake-disc-and-other-myths

Although I agree that using the parking brake after a track session is not good practice, it's not as much of a problem with the GT350, as its parking brake is a drum type which is activated against the aluminum hat; it does not contact the friction ring, like a typical rear disc brake set-up.

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Even with a cooldown lap, coming to a stop with a lot of brake pressure can embed pad deposits into the rotor. It's best to use very little pressure when coming to a stop in the pits to prevent this from happening.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
On the GT350 the thing you really need to worry about is whether or not the driver aide "Hill Assist" is on. If this is on, it'll clamp the pads onto your rotors when you stop. I found this out the hard way my first track day.

Screamer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2116 GT350
My front rotors were replaced under warranty, Both had ~ .015" runout measured with a dial indicator at 6000 miles.

Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
On the GT350 the thing you really need to worry about is whether or not the driver aide "Hill Assist" is on. If this is on, it'll clamp the pads onto your rotors when you stop. I found this out the hard way my first track day.
It only clamps when your are on the brakes then clutch pedal pressed down and only for 2-3 seconds then it will release.

OP
OP

TaylorJames

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Just got my car back with brand new front rotors replaced under warranty. Is there any specific process for bedding in the rotors?

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Just got my car back with brand new front rotors replaced under warranty. Is there any specific process for bedding in the rotors?
Beat on them like they owe you money. They can take it. I bedded mine in at autocross if that gives you any indication. Smooth as butter coming down the straights of Road America. I mean silky effin smooth.

Do about 5 to 6 HARD stops from 60 or so and don't come to a complete stop. And I mean friggin curb stomp your brake pedal.
Sponsored