Sponsored

Warped Rotors At 2300 miles. Replace or resurface?

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Seriously, there is ZERO movement. None. Yes if you put a load on anything - even a one piece rotor - it will move some amount. Of course it will. That's how the world works. Everything bends under load. But the GT350 rotors are very beefy, strong units designed for track use. They are not Camry brake rotors that can't handle much load.

But what I'm saying is if you pick up a GT350 rotor and hold the hat in one hand and the rotor in the other, you will not feel any "looseness".

The rotors aren't manufactured in a crappy, low tolerance, Chinese way. They are seriously awesome units. I've handled the rotors before and they are beautiful precision pieces.

The iron ring on the outside is allowed to expand radially outward when you get the brakes hot, though. You hear a multitude of clicking sounds from the rotors when the car is sitting after a track session. My interpretation of the reason for that, is that the pins are a tight fit, but the pressure from the rotor expanding with temperature overcomes that tight fit and the rotor is allowed to move when it gets hot.

These rotors work as advertised. They are a major reason why the GT350 is such an amazing car.
This is how the rotor manufacturer (SHW) describes it:

"The iron friction ring is mounted floating on radial stainless steel pins that are cast into the aluminium pot. This allows the friction ring to expand radially during braking, which significantly reduces thermal deformation – referred to as shielding – and noticeably improves the comfort features of the braking system."

More here: https://en.shw.de/products/brakediscs/composite-brake-discs/

As for what's causing the OP's pulsing brake problem, it's not obvious. First, it's likely to be confined to just one rotor, not the whole set. With that in mind, I'd be looking for corrosion or stuck-on pad material on one rotor and solving that problem when I find it. It's unlikely that a rotor has actually warped, but it could be a manufacturing defect.
Sponsored