WARNING to others, Leather Rip!

sakman84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Premium. 6MT, Blue, upgraded wheels
My car is barely 2 years old, I got it in September 2021, it has ~7,500 miles and already the leather has ripped on the side of the passenger seat!

What I determined is that when you fold up the seat back of the passenger seat up to allow passengers easier access to the back seat, the seat will rub against the front passenger seat belt buckle. The hard plastic edge of that buckle is sharper than you would think, and it has punctured my seat! The leather as you imagine, especially on a trim piece and not the seat backing or base itself, is paper thin!

I take extremely good care of this car, and to have this happen is very upsetting, especially from way below average use. Obviously I'm going to see if Ford can help me out with this, but I doubt they will. Its just a real pisser because this isn't the result of years of normal wear and tear.

If anyone has a good leather repair kit they recommend please let me know. If Ford wont help, I will get advice from an upholstery shop and maybe try this home repair kit. At least the kit says it will match the Factory color, but I have to do the repair myself....

I'm in some unknown waters here, so advice is appreciated.

https://www.leathermagic.com/ford-lincoln-mercury-interior-colors/
seat3.jpg

seat1.jpg

seat2.jpg
Sponsored

murick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Euro Mach 1
This is strange, I would expect you should be able to fold the back of the seat back and forth daily without any issue.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
You can tell by the pic, that is not leather, it is vinyl. Only the front of the backrest and the top of the bottom cushion that you actually sit on/against is leather, the rest of the seat is vinyl. If it were real leather it would not have torn like that.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
With everything in its regular operating position, is there a gap, from the console to the seat belt latch and from the latch to the seat? I haven't noticed mine, but I'd think there'd be a natural gap, to prevent the very thing you've experienced.

As for leather repair kits, my experience has been, "Well, it doesn't look as bad now as it did before."

I picked up a small hole in a leather couch. Matching, colored duct tape was certainly an option, but I also noticed a vinyl/leather repair kit from Permatex. If you watch videos on-line, the people that use these materials all the time can produce some really good results. For people like me, who use it occasionally, I got a OK result.

Matching the color of the replacement material to the original fabric is somewhat easy. But the application involves loading up the area and using a small wand to heat and seal things. As a first effort, I was pleased. Didn't hit it out of the park. The repair wasn't obvious. About to go into my "indoor $hi! list" for Winter. I'll tear off my original attempt and try again.

Best Wishes on the warranty claim. Please let us know what happens.

FlatRock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N0404
I think its worth taking to a reputable restoration shop if youā€™re going the repair route, they will likely have a connection to a good interior shop that should do a nice repair. Iā€™d think pics of the damage should suffice for them to start with. Thatā€™s what I would do. Iā€™m OCD about my interior and that would drive me crazy. Good luck and keep us posted.

Sponsored

Racer57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 1970 Cuda 383cu Tremec 5 speed.
Passengers in the back seat ?!?!?! Just how big are they ? 1 yr olds ??? Even with the seats all the way forward and seat backs moved forward I can't even get into the back seat ! LOL

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
My ranger has a felt pad on the side that is up against the seat cover .
Might want to get some same colored felt and some 3M double sided tape and install them.
Or someone with fords parts dept catalog could look up the part number for those pads.
Our '19 lariat has them on all 4 buckle locks .

Coosawjack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Convertible
Passengers in the back seat ?!?!?! Just how big are they ? 1 yr olds ??? Even with the seats all the way forward and seat backs moved forward I can't even get into the back seat ! LOL
Than was my first response too Racer57........LOL!!:cwl:

The main reason I got rid on my 2014 Coupe was the back window.......I COULD NEVER GET IT CLEAN (STREAKS) AND I GOT STUCK IN THE BACK SEAT A FEW TIMES......NO BUENO!!:explode:

OP....If I were you I'd make Ford replace that seat bottom.....Warranty.....Good Luck!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Might want to get some same colored felt and some 3M double sided tape and install them.
Or someone with fords parts dept catalog could look up the part number for those pads.
My 2017 had a felt sticker on there too, guess it was for this purpose. Not sure if my 22 still has the same thing or not.

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Warranty. Don't get offended, they will take care of it. Not like you took a knife to it.

Also, as others point out, it's obviously vinyl. If you want leather, go aftermarket seat covers. Won't be cheap, but will be real, and definitely last way longer. Just have to condition it and clean it more.

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 SC, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL
I have an 11 year old that *was* 5'4 (he's 5'10" a year later) and a wife that is 5'9" and 155lbs. We took an 8000 mile roadtrip last year and she road in the backseat for 1,000's of miles so she could nap occasionally. We also put my mother-in-law in the backseat for about 1,500 miles as well. Granted, they have to be on the passenger side but they still fit comfortably. My 9 year old still rides behind me.

Honestly we had a great time, I thought they would want to kill me after taking the Mustang for a vacation.... My wife actually likes the car more now than before... It was odd to say the least.

Personally, I am 6' and was about 195lbs. I too have ridden in the backseat but only because I was wasted after a concert and my buddy drove all 4 of us home. I couldn't go in the passenger seat because my other buddy was so plowed he needed to keep his head in a garbage bag in case he puked. He only did that once... When we got on the freeway and the driver floored it because he wanted to see what 640whp felt like. Head came out of the bag with a smile while accelerating and promptly went back in with a grimace.

Even better, I have fit both of my kids and an adult in the backseat. Yes, 5 people in the Stang... We raced a C7 Z06 and beat him while heading to dinner. He pulled up next to us to chat when I parked and the look on his face when he realized he was just beat by a clown car was priceless. "How in the world did you fit 5 people in there?!?!".. I told him with a cattle prod and a shoe horn.

OP
OP

sakman84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Premium. 6MT, Blue, upgraded wheels
What kind of seats do you have?
What kind of seats do you have?
These are the heated and cooled leather seats, not the Recaros, the car is a premium pkg car, don't know if that makes a difference.

listed as EBONY LTHR-TRIM DOVE ACCENT on the window sticker.

I know exactly what you are talking about, and I will be equipping the buckles with these.

This is strange, I would expect you should be able to fold the back of the seat back and forth daily without any issue.
My thoughts exactly.

On a side note I checked the user manual and there is no warning, or special notes or procedures on operating the seat.

Car will be inspected for a carranty claim on Monday morning, I will report back.

Rocket630

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ralph
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Get some Alien Tape, fixes everything
Sponsored