Video: GT350 Crash At The Nurburgring

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
Don't aftermarket car parts in Germany require TUV approval, which is much stricter than US standards?
Sponsored

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Yes I read the standards. Thanks to being in graduate school at 1 of the top engineering schools in the world I have access to seemingly every paid information service in the world.

JWL VIA is NOT self certified. No 1 said every wheel is tested.

Perhaps my deep understanding and 30 years experience on the topic is why I was selected to run a road race organization? So can we get past the innuendo and to facts?

So again I say. You have made comments with no evidence to back them up. Post up your evidence, I gave you the 3 facts to prove.
Besides the intent of the OP, Im still trying to figure out why we are talking about the wheels at this point

RaceHorseV8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ricky
Vehicle(s)
2001 Cobra, 2004 Cobra, 2019 GT
I don't disagree with your assessment - in fact it looks a textbook case, I've done it myself when I first started track events, luckily where there was plenty of run-off room. Anyway, when I looked at the video cap, I was also like "Holy shit, you're right, he's got his elbow propped up!", but looking a little more carefully, his left hand is on the wheel at around 10-11 o' clock, and he's starting (too late) to turn in. Not that it matters ...
I agree that he's just white-knuckling the wheel. He knows he's heading off. The guy in the black Mitsu before him has his arm the same way. I've only tracked a half-dozen times but it's always been windows down when running. These guys have windows up, enjoying a little music.

Sponsored

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
Be
Besides the intent of the OP, Im still trying to figure out why we are talking about the wheels at this point
Because sdiver68 went of the rails over my opinion of not using 6gr wheels or other cheap alternatives. Oh! and the OP phrased the post concerning wheels lol

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
What you call it and what it is are two different things. Go to a race track more often and see for yourself. A blown tire on track is an terrifyingly dramatic thing. This is far from it.
Whatever you say Mr expert. Blown ok wrong terminology. Flat then you can see the tire is off the wheel bead lol.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
The biggest difference here is that aftermarket wheels are not typically engineered for OEM loading. Once upon a time I designed both forged/spun and fully cast wheels for OEM's (GM, Ford, Chrylser, Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini and Aston Martin). The loading requirements for all OEMs was SEVERE...to the point where if failure were to occur, the vehicle would already be destroyed. Aftermarket companies don't typically have access to this data (and I question if they even run FEA on any of their designs). So what you're left with is a product that has some guesswork involved, and is likely weaker as a result.

Speaking aftermarket, a fully forged aftermarket wheel is going to allow a larger margin of safety than a similar cast wheel, as they are much more ductile.

Looking at that crash, not a single wheel I designed would have failed like those 6gr wheels after that "minor" impact.
"What is your evidence the OEM wheels are certified tested to a higher standard, the P6G could not also meet that standard, and that JWL-VIA alone is not race track safe?"
Let me start with the later, I never said JWL is not track safe what I did say is I would never track the 6GR wheel or any other cheap alternative. This is what is called an opinion.
Now,VIA is the certification authority and i'd bet that the majority of the 6GR wheels if any don't bare the marking. P6G wheels may or may not meet SAE J175. The burden of proof is on them not me, I am the consumer. However, it seems they do not as they do not list it as a testing standard but proudly list the JWL VIA and JAWA https://project6gr.com/wheel-safety/ .
See millhouse's post above regarding OEM wheels, he seems to to the an SME.
We have established that the SAE J175 is a more stringent standard than JWL, "Doesn't mean that a wheel with JWL VIA certified wheel is better or worse than a wheel that claims to meet any other high standard" Also, millhouse's statement corroborates my position. Sorry milllhouse, didnt mean to drag you into this.
Finally, Ford Performance wheels use SAE J175 as a minimum test standard https://performanceparts.ford.com/performance-wheels/

In summary, only if the wheel meets or exceeds OEM standards or has other certifications and race cred like the Signature wheels and Forgelines for example, would I use the wheel for the track. This is my personal opinion and no one else's lol

This crash was caused by lack of skill.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Whatever you say Mr expert. Blown ok wrong terminology. Flat then you can see the tire is off the wheel bead lol.
Again, not flat either. And clearly I am more of an expert than you are because this is not a tire failure. It's DRIVER failure. Again x2, GO. TO. THE. TRACK. Mr Expert. Mark your tire walls with a marker and see how much of that ink rubs off from cornering. It is more than routine that your wheel rim comes within an inch or so of the track surface.

Jesus, apparently track experts don't need to go to the track anymore...

EDIT: If it were a flat tire, there would be sparks flying and chunks of asphalt flying from the wheel digging into the track surface especially with a car that heavy, those speeds, and that type of lateral movement. The rumble strips would have wrecked HAVOC on the car, not gone smoothly over them like a speed bump. You would have heard a terrible nails on a chalk board type of sound from the wheel draggin' ass on the surface. Not tire failure. Period.

Sponsored

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
Again, not flat either. And clearly I am more of an expert than you are because this is not a tire failure. It's DRIVER failure. Again x2, GO. TO. THE. TRACK. Mr Expert. Mark your tire walls with a marker and see how much of that ink rubs off from cornering. It is more than routine that your wheel rim comes within an inch or so of the track surface.

Jesus, apparently track experts don't need to go to the track anymore...
I will take a picture of my CF wheels. Sometimes they may even touch the track surface or come pretty Fing close.

kwpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach1
Good information on the German policy, thanks. Yes, agreed, American military for sure use their US policies (at least for US spec cars) — I still haven’t found one that covers this track though.
I can't imagine why an insurance underwriter would be hesistant on covering this track. :crackup:

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Arguments over driver error lol
Sponsored