Sponsored

Video: GT350 Crash At The Nurburgring

Billy1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
How is this news-worthy? The guy can't drive-END of story. He carried too much speed into the turn, missed the apex by a country mile, did not opposite lock before he got onto the kitty litter and just binned it. Need further proof?: look at the above pic and see where his left elbow is.....yep, on the window sill. That is where you put your elbow when you are at the drivethru at McDonald'.

As Travis Pastrana would say: "He ran out of talent"
Sponsored

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
SAE J175 and J328 is a more stringent standard than JWL. I let you look it up. Therefore, SAE standard supports my position that the Ford OEM wheel is structuraly superior to the JWL wheel and also why it is so heavy. The SAE J2530 is the standard for aftermarket wheels similar to JWL but again more stringent.

JWL VIA is a tested and respected certification. Doesn't mean that a wheel with JWL VIA certified wheel is better or worse than a wheel that claims to meet any other high standard. But it does mean there is a certifying authority who has actually tested the wheel to JWL standards.

What is your evidence the OEM wheels are certified tested to a higher standard, the P6G could not also meet that standard, and that JWL-VIA alone is not race track safe?

Until you can provide evidence of all 3, your analysis is baseless.

BTW, SAE basically copied JWL.

Last edited:

kwpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach1
You're right, it was not timed. This was a Touristfahrten or "Tourist Drive." While true this is a public road, and open to the public, as far as I know only the Germans' insurance will cover their cars at the Nürburgring. Sadly for this gent is that it's evident he is an American: 1) "NEW" plates designates the Grafenwöhr area which is home to a U.S. Army base and 2) he's in a US-market-only car. He probably is not covered unless he bought some sort of special track insurance for the day (let's hope). I know USAA insurance (more than common with the Military) specifically states that the Nürburgring is not covered.
Sadly, I think you're incorrect about German insurance coverage. My German insurance company made it absolutly clear that I am not covered driving, under any circumstances , on any race track. Insurance representive went so far as to inform me that no matter what I hear from others, nobody is insured on a race track. There are many videos and examples of people fucking up on "Touristfahrten". I know of at least one example from a friend of somebody that he knows who totaled their car on "Touristfahrten". The person had total loss of his car uninsured. Military people have insurance through the American insurance coverage.

Sponsored

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
Sadly, I think you're incorrect about German insurance coverage. My German insurance company made it absolutly clear that I am not covered driving, under any circumstances , on any race track. Insurance representive went so far as to inform me that no matter what I hear from others, nobody is insured on a race track. There are many videos and examples of people fucking up on "Touristfahrten". I know of at least one example from a friend of somebody that he knows who totaled their car on "Touristfahrten". The person had total loss of his car uninsured. Military people have insurance through the American insurance coverage.
And they have to pay for the damage to the track as well IIRC.

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Good information on the German policy, thanks. Yes, agreed, American military for sure use their US policies (at least for US spec cars) — I still haven’t found one that covers this track though.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
How is this news-worthy? The guy can't drive-END of story. He carried too much speed into the turn, missed the apex by a country mile, did not opposite lock before he got onto the kitty litter and just binned it. Need further proof?: look at the above pic and see where his left elbow is.....yep, on the window sill. That is where you put your elbow when you are at the drivethru at McDonald'.

I don't disagree with your assessment - in fact it looks a textbook case, I've done it myself when I first started track events, luckily where there was plenty of run-off room. Anyway, when I looked at the video cap, I was also like "Holy shit, you're right, he's got his elbow propped up!", but looking a little more carefully, his left hand is on the wheel at around 10-11 o' clock, and he's starting (too late) to turn in. Not that it matters ...

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
JWL VIA is a tested and respected certification. Doesn't mean that a wheel with JWL VIA certified wheel is better or worse than a wheel that claims to meet any other high standard. But it does mean there is a certifying authority who has actually tested the wheel to JWL standards.

What is your evidence the OEM wheels are certified tested to a higher standard, the P6G could not also meet that standard, and that JWL-VIA alone is not race track safe?

Until you can provide evidence of all 3, your analysis is baseless.

BTW, SAE basically copied JWL.
Did you read the standards? We have a subscription for industry standards and no I cant share it because it belongs to the goverment. The SAE testing standards are more stringent. All the test standards are self enforced in the U.S. Not every single wheel gets tested lol the JWL (Japan Wheel Light) is an AFTERMARKET wheel standard just like the SAE J2530. SAE J175 and J328 is a production wheel test standard.

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R

Agreed but, his speed very well could have been fine on the correct line

Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I'm no expert. But I'd call this a blown tire.
4grx36.jpg

What you call it and what it is are two different things. Go to a race track more often and see for yourself. A blown tire on track is an terrifyingly dramatic thing. This is far from it.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
What you call it and what it is are two different things. Go to a race track more often and see for yourself. A blown tire on track is an terrifyingly dramatic thing. This is far from it.
Shoot! SC2's start off looking like that lol

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
Did you read the standards? We have a subscription for industry standards and no I cant share it because it belongs to the goverment. The SAE testing standards are more stringent. All the test standards are self enforced in the U.S. Not every single wheel gets tested lol the JWL (Japan Wheel Light) is an AFTERMARKET wheel standard just like the SAE J2530. SAE J175 and J328 is a production wheel test standard.
Yes I read the standards. Thanks to being in graduate school at 1 of the top engineering schools in the world I have access to seemingly every paid information service in the world.

JWL VIA is NOT self certified. No 1 said every wheel is tested.

Perhaps my deep understanding and 30 years experience on the topic is why I was selected to run a road race organization? So can we get past the innuendo and to facts?

So again I say. You have made comments with no evidence to back them up. Post up your evidence, I gave you the 3 facts to prove.
Sponsored