Video: GT350 Crash At The Nurburgring

Discussion in 'Shelby GT350 Mustang' started by 50 Deep, Apr 25, 2019.

1. 50 Deep

50 Deep Signature Wheel Ford Rep
    Gold Sponsor

Vehicle(s):
    2017 GT350R
    Rating:
    100%
    2   0   0
    Enthusiasts often debate why you want to spend extra money to put a fully forged wheel on your car. Often times we focus on the drive around town, and forget the importance of how a wheel is going to hold up when things go wrong.

Here is a video of a GT350 crash on the Nurburgring. Pay attention to the condition of the wheels once the car is being put onto the Lowry, and the relative low speed of the impact.

Food for thought as we all go about modding our 60-80k performance vehicles.

Walt Kowalski likes this.
  2. jmn444

jmn444 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle(s):
    '68 Mustang T/A tribute & '19 gt350
    0   0   0
    While I get your point.... any pics of forged wheels after similar wrecks??? Looked like the wheel took the brunt of the initial impact to me... I can't imagine any wheel taking that hit and being okay to re-use.....

Jmk likes this.
  3. Hack

Hack Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2016 GT350
    0   0   0
    IMO that was a harder crash than you think. But it's possible the heavy factory wheels would have held up. I would think the CF R rims would have been heavily damaged, but not completely failed like the rims on the car.

Digital_Synapse and jmn444 like this.
  4. combustor

combustor Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 GT350R, 2016 GT350
    0   0   0
    Running with no front splitter? why?

Digital_Synapse likes this.
  5. limited02

limited02 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2012 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost
    Software QA Engineer
    0   0   0
    I agree. A forged wheel may not have broken, but it certainly wouldn't be usable after that crash. Now if the wheel had broken and that's what caused the crash, this post would make more sense.

jmn444 likes this.
  6. Tomster

Tomster Beware of idiots

First Name:
    Tom
    Vehicle(s):
    2 - '17 and 1 - '18 GT350 R's
    0   0   0
    Looks like 6GR wheels. Junk.

Anyway, entered the turn a little hot, off the line, missed the apex, and carried and maintained brakes into the turn. The tires look to be a non R compound tire. No front dplitter. No tow hooks. As usual, more damage is done to the car because of that. Looks like amateur day at the 'ring. I'm glad the driver is ok. Definately not wheel related, but a better set of tires and better driving technique may have saved him.

Now back to the wheel topic. I've used 6GR wheels on and off the track. They are cheap spun forged wheels. I think the point that Terrance was trying to make is that why would you spend 60K+ on a car and go out and get a cheap set of wheels and take them to the track? I'll answer my own question and say because they are less money (cheap). Although the wheels in this particular example didn't cause the accident, they seem about par for the course for a guy who was cutting corners (so to speak).

Tracking a car is not a poor man's hobby. If you can't afford to do it right, don't do it. Get instruction, do a thorough mechanical inspection and perform maintenance as needed. Depending on the track, I would start with a fresh set of tires because so much is riding on them. And knowing what I know about cheap spun forged wheels, I certainly wouldn't choose a cheap knock off origin wheel for track duty.

7. limited02

limited02 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2012 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost
    Software QA Engineer
    0   0   0
    How do we know the GT350 in that video didn't have a set of Signature wheels he/she rolls around on when not tracking the car? I'd rather use a stock set of wheels or cheaper set that's equal/better than stock wheels because if you curb/bend/break one, it's cheaper to replace.

jmn444 likes this.
  8. Zitrosounds

Zitrosounds Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Harold
    Vehicle(s):
    16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
    0   0   0
    I can almost with certainty say that the OEM 350 wheel is the better wheel and the 6GR's wheel is not equal or better and the only advantage is weight. Much more to wheel design than weight. I would never track the 6GR wheel or any other cheap wheel alternative. Nope nopity nope!

Walt Kowalski, JR369 and limited02 like this.
  9. Tomster

Tomster Beware of idiots

First Name:
    Tom
    Vehicle(s):
    0   0   0
    I'm not sure what point you are trying to make, but the wheels on the car in that video are 6GR's. I wouldn't track those wheels. As for street use, caliper clearance is horrible. I do agree with you that the 6GRs are cheap wheels.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...e-caused-by-lack-of-caliper-clearance.105510/

10. ShelbyGT350DG

ShelbyGT350DG Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 Shelby GT350
    0   0   0
    Ouch. I felt it. My color too.

So much trash talking about GT350 in the YouTube comments.

11. fpa1974

fpa1974 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    '17 GT350, '17 Fiesta ST, '02 M Coupe
    Rating:
    100%
    1   0   0
    While I agree with all of you points above, it was a bit unusual the way Terrance made the point :)

I am pretty sure that the best wheels ever would have made very little difference in this case. IMO.

Alej, jmn444 and Zitrosounds like this.
  12. Tomster

Tomster Beware of idiots

First Name:
    Tom
    Vehicle(s):
    0   0   0
    Yep, as stated, I agree. This crash had nothing to do with the wheels. I was pointing out the whole picture, the wheels, no splitter, no tow hook(s), and inexperience (As evidenced by the line he was driving).

Again, I wouldn't track 6GR wheels.

Dominator961 likes this.
  13. JAJ

JAJ Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2016 GT350 Track Pack
    0   0   0
    I think 50Deep made a huge blunder by trying to capitalize on this guy's misfortune. It's disgusting.

jake_zx2, Gojr47, JT1 and 4 others like this.
  14. JAJ

JAJ Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2016 GT350 Track Pack
    0   0   0
    There is another reason he might have been off-line and too fast - it's also possible that he ran out of brakes. He actually drives the car wide and takes the barrier as gently as he can under the circumstances.

15. fpa1974

fpa1974 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    '17 GT350, '17 Fiesta ST, '02 M Coupe
    Rating:
    100%
    1   0   0
    I agreed with that.

16. Tomster

Tomster Beware of idiots

First Name:
    Tom
    Vehicle(s):
    0   0   0
    I watched that over and over. I don't think so but not impossible.

Anyone who tracks knows that once you leave the pavement, you are pretty much just along for the ride at that point.

My impression is that he entered the turn too fast, got loose, and exaggerated his situation by going to the brakes. If you look at his front wheels, he didn't aggressively attempt to stay on the pavement, but the result would have been the same.

It is unfortunate, however, I am glad he was ok.

svttim likes this.
  17. Tomster

Tomster Beware of idiots

First Name:
    Tom
    Vehicle(s):
    0   0   0
    Who knows. If you look at the wheel in the splash photo for the video, you see a broken wheel. Maybe he thought this crash was due to wheel failure. After watching frame by frame, I feel this had nothing to do with the wheels. However he has a valid point though (which I agree with), why would someone track a car like this with 6GR wheels?

Terrance is a good guy and I would give him the benefit of the doubt. I'm sure he will be along to address your concerns.

18. JAJ

JAJ Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2016 GT350 Track Pack
    0   0   0
    I agree - I was just offering an alternate explanation to the obvious one. I also watched him over and over, but I also watched the yellow car that went through ahead of him over and over. He goes through the braking zone in the same place on the track as the yellow car, and he drives over the same set of painted letters that the yellow car drives over on corner entry. The more I watched, the more convinced I became that he knew the corner well enough to get around it properly. At that point, the question is "why is he going too fast?". Driver error or brakes? It could be either, but what impressed me is the way the driver keeps the car under control - most videos of that corner feature spin after spin, with out-of-control cars hitting the inside or outside barriers nose-on or tail-first. This guy doesn't do that. He scrubs off as much speed as he can through the corner while maintaining steering control, then he drives onto the gravel without the slightest bobble and takes the barrier side-on.

19. Biggus Dickus

Biggus Dickus Well-Known Member

First Name:
    G
    Vehicle(s):
    Focus RS, Mustang GT
    0   0   0
    Total driver error - he hit the brakes when he should been pushing the throttle

Digital_Synapse and Tomster like this.
  20. foxcoupefan

foxcoupefan Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    '19 PPL2, Trucks and Boats.
    Sales
    0   0   0
    Value priced wheels, no tow hooks, no splitter, amazing this car even made it out of the garage. :D

Last Porsche event I went to at Thunder Hill I saw more than a handful of GT3RS models and heavy track prepped cars with Apex wheels.

jake_zx2 and Tomster like this.