Sponsored

Video: GT350 Crash At The Nurburgring

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
From a different thread with the exact same video:

That corner is notorious for crashes. There's very little camber and going up hill meaning that at the crest it unload the front tires and you have very little turning and traction.

I have driven the ring. As you mentioned, he was off the line and with too much entry speed for his approach. So yes. I believe he, like many, underestimate the blind corners of the ring. The steering angle entering the corner never changed. He was not expecting it.

Sponsored

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
Not 1 shred of proof for your claim but if you repeat it often enough people might start believing it!

The wheel did not fail. Ive seen the exact same crash destroy an entire vehicle or just result in minor damage. Once you go off track anything can happen.
What in the hell are you talking about? I never said the wheel failed. This incident was driver error. Reread my post and the posts before it for context lol

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
Does the 6GR wheel meet SAE J175 and J328 for impact and fatigue testing?

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
What in the hell are you talking about? I never said the wheel failed. This incident was driver error. Reread my post and the posts before it for context lol
You said it was an inferior, not track worthy wheel with not a shred of evidence. Im asking you to back that statement up.

tyshenry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT w/ PP
The biggest difference here is that aftermarket wheels are not typically engineered for OEM loading. Once upon a time I designed both forged/spun and fully cast wheels for OEM's (GM, Ford, Chrylser, Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini and Aston Martin). The loading requirements for all OEMs was SEVERE...to the point where if failure were to occur, the vehicle would already be destroyed. Aftermarket companies don't typically have access to this data (and I question if they even run FEA on any of their designs). So what you're left with is a product that has some guesswork involved, and is likely weaker as a result.

Speaking aftermarket, a fully forged aftermarket wheel is going to allow a larger margin of safety than a similar cast wheel, as they are much more ductile.

Looking at that crash, not a single wheel I designed would have failed like those 6gr wheels after that "minor" impact.
So much ignorance in this thread.

So you overdesigned wheels for an OEM? Wow. If a wheel didnt fail after a crash into a wall then that would be considered a fail in my field. And in any performance oriented field for that matter. Its easy as hell to overdesign parts, it's much harder to live on the bleeding edge. Difference between aerospace and OEM automotive I guess.

I used to track SVE wheels and have tracked many other "cheap" wheels. I also design, size, do fatigue and static analysis, FEA work, etc. for a living for a major aerospace company. I work with structure and loading far more complicated than a wheel. All that to say, I have ZERO worry tracking a flow formed wheel.

Sponsored

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
So much ignorance in this thread.

So you overdesigned wheels for an OEM? Wow. If a wheel didnt fail after a crash into a wall then that would be considered a fail in my field. And in any performance oriented field for that matter. Its easy as hell to overdesign parts, it's much harder to live on the bleeding edge. Difference between aerospace and OEM automotive I guess.

I used to track SVE wheels and have tracked many other "cheap" wheels. I also design, size, do fatigue and static analysis, FEA work, etc. for a living for a major aerospace company. I work with structure and loading far more complicated than a wheel. All that to say, I have ZERO worry tracking a flow formed wheel.
That's interesting becuase I own a set of SVE wheels and they are not for track use per SVE lol

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
JWL-VIA impact and fatigue testing.
SAE J175 and J328 is a more stringent standard than JWL. I let you look it up. Therefore, SAE standard supports my position that the Ford OEM wheel is structuraly superior to the JWL wheel and also why it is so heavy. The SAE J2530 is the standard for aftermarket wheels similar to JWL but again more stringent.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder if it's against highway code or something where he was from. I've seen vids of GT350's in Europe with the splitter though.
No rules against a front splitter. Well, unless the splitter is made of cardboard or is the size of a kitchen table.

I don’t think it was a timed event. The Ring is considered a public road when it’s open to....the public and I’m pretty sure you must have insurance to go out on it.
You're right, it was not timed. This was a Touristfahrten or "Tourist Drive." While true this is a public road, and open to the public, as far as I know only the Germans' insurance will cover their cars at the Nürburgring. Sadly for this gent is that it's evident he is an American: 1) "NEW" plates designates the Grafenwöhr area which is home to a U.S. Army base and 2) he's in a US-market-only car. He probably is not covered unless he bought some sort of special track insurance for the day (let's hope). I know USAA insurance (more than common with the Military) specifically states that the Nürburgring is not covered.
Sponsored