Very low low-end torque/power

808Hiphotog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS
I just purchased a used 2020 mustang gt from a dealer and previously had a 2014 mustang gt. On the 2014 I could just punch the gas pedal and release the clutch and the car would take off. With the 2020 if I do the same thing the whole car just bogs, slowly starts to take off and then suddenly thrusts forward. I can't every get it to break the rear tires free no matter how much throttle I give it before releasing the clutch. Am I doing something wrong, is there something wrong with the car or is this just how these newer ones are? Kinda annoying but the car still feels faster than the 14 in the higher rpm's.
Sponsored

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
Did you have a tune on the 14? Usually the stock tunes on these cars suck, I would throw a Tune on it and I am sure you will get the snappiness back.

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
The gear ratios in the 2018+ manual transmission are higher. That's probably part of it.

OP
OP

808Hiphotog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS
I did not have a tune on the 14. It was stock except for axle back mufflers. When I put the 2020 into Sport+ it is slightly better but not like the 14. I would figure I could take it to a tuner in town and have them fix it but if it is a Ford problem I could have it fixed for free and still have the warranty. Maybe if I got the cold air and throttle body upgrade Ford sells it might be better. I’m just wondering if anyone has had this problem with a 2020. Maybe Ford has retarded the timing in the low rpm’s to decrease the amount of memes. I don’t know.

Sponsored

MNstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
I don't have a manual trans but this does not seem right. I have not heard of many people having trouble breaking tires loose with these cars. These cars should not bog down like that. Sounds like you are under warranty - you should take it in for a look before tuning and losing your warranty - just my opinion...

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I wouldn't do a tune either. Don't throw away the warranty on your new car.

Ford changed the gearing for the manual transmission Mustangs. The 2018+ cars have much taller gearing, which is a lot less fun launching on the street. This is one of the reasons I bought a 2017 GT last year instead of something newer.

But I do agree with the others. There's probably something going on causing a problem.

FinitePrimus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
I feel with these newer cars the gas pedal is really just a sensor telling the computer what you might want to do (like fly by wire on planes). In my old school Fox bodies, you tap the gas, you get the torque instantly. These cars you tap the gas, nothing happens. I'd assume the computer is thinking maybe you didn't want to tap the gas? I find there is a slight (about a half second) delay between getting on it and the car taking off. I also feel the nannies are trying to throw the torque in smoothly so you're right, there is this sense of building torque rather than instantaneous.

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
Ford's Performance Pack adds 42 lb*ft at 2000 rpm! I suspect that is all tuning as the cold air intake and throttle body would not add significant power at that rpm and it also requires 91 octane. Yes, it is overpriced but it probably works perfectly.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
I just purchased a used 2020 mustang gt from a dealer and previously had a 2014 mustang gt. On the 2014 I could just punch the gas pedal and release the clutch and the car would take off. With the 2020 if I do the same thing the whole car just bogs, slowly starts to take off and then suddenly thrusts forward.
I’ll take a guess at this;
There’s a good chance the dealer either disconnected the battery and or flashed the ECU for current Ford updates.
I’m guessing the ECU is going through it’s relearning process.
I’d suggest you continue to keep driving the car and make sure you fill the fuel tank with quality brand name PREMIUM fuel (Mobil, Shell, BP Amoco).
Give it 500 miles or more and monitor any improvements.

Sponsored

Lads1719

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT: PP1: 300A: Lightning Blue
You did turn off traction control right? You can even go a step further and turn advance track off by holding the TC button till it shows totally off.

PoCoBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Edge Sport
Unless manuals are different from the auto's the only mode that will let you do a burnout is Track Mode without turning the traction control off first.

My 2019 came with Goodyear Eagles and they wheel hop so bad it's pointless to even try.

Lads1719

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT: PP1: 300A: Lightning Blue
So, the nannies won’t let you roast the tires in anything but track?

Thats a bummer if you’re really mad and want to leave a quick FU burnout in a parking lot but have to stop and turn off TC. Kinda ruins the moment.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
So, the nannies won’t let you roast the tires in anything but track?
In normal mode I can easily break traction in first & second.
GTPP, Cradle is locked out, Steeda red Diff bushings, Shaftmasters Al driveshaft, Bret Barber CNC 80mm TB mod, GT350 intake manifold.
NO tune yet !
Sponsored