V8 potential problems coming? [ADMIN WARNING: *** NO POLITICS ***]

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
Hello; Forgoing the numerous issues with EV's on the road the single biggest issue is outside the EV. That issue is how to charge up the battery packs. For the foreseeable future that power will come from fossil fuels.
Yes that is correct, but that doesn't mean we shouldn`t develop the technology. Because eventually we will reach a point where some of our energy can come from a sustainable source.

For me I kind of careless about the pollution side of this. I am more interested in the technology aspect of electric cars. They last longer, more powerful, need less maintenance and do not have exhaust. For the average consumer who could careless the visceral experience from a gas engine, its just a better setup. BUT they cost way to much, we lack public charging, charging takes to long, and the infrastructure might not be ready for everyone to make the jump.

So yes I partially agree with what people are saying here.
Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I didn't drink the man made climate change kool-aid. In Spain they found Roman ruins that have been under water for 1000 years. So what is correct? Should it be dry or wet there? The climate changes, we adapt.

How are the millions of people who don't have off street parking or those who live in high rise apt buildings going to charge their cars?

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Yes that is correct, but that doesn't mean we shouldn`t develop the technology. Because eventually we will reach a point where some of our energy can come from a sustainable source.

For me I kind of careless about the pollution side of this. I am more interested in the technology aspect of electric cars. They last longer, more powerful, need less maintenance and do not have exhaust. For the average consumer who could careless the visceral experience from a gas engine, its just a better setup. BUT they cost way to much, we lack public charging, charging takes to long, and the infrastructure might not be ready for everyone to make the jump.

So yes I partially agree with what people are saying here.
Hello; Had Tucker Carlson on tonight. One segment was partly about EV's. Flashed a picture of a street in California with a row of parking spots dedicated for public EV charging. In the picture was a row of EV chargers. They were hard to pick out because the sidewalk was crammed full of homeless makeshift tents and such.
May have only been a quirk but not a single EV plugged in to be charged. After a few minutes I thought that i would not be comfortable waiting there for a charge.

Here is a thing. I am fine with folks such as you having an EV if such is what you want. Go for it. The mandates are what rub me wrong. The hybrids and early EV's barely made a dent on their own merits.

AvalancheSVT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
But why reign in the EPA? Climate change is creating havoc already and progressive countries are already shifting their priorities.
because your assertion is false and they are completely off the rails.

Ogopogo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Prem Vert, 2020 Mazda CX-5 GT Turb
About 60% of electrical generation in the USA in 2021 was fossil fueled. https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=427&t=3 but it is trending in the right direction per Tables 1.4 (2021) and 1.5 (2022) in https://www.publicpower.org/system/...ectricity_Generation_Capacity_2022_Update.pdf

It is even more dramatic when looking forward to plants under construction (Table 2.1) and so forth (permitted, planned, etc.)

So it becomes more and more a bogus argument about where electricity comes from as time passes on. In the meantime, more plants, almost exclusively coal, built more than 40+ years ago will be retired. Cleaner sources of electricity will be coming on to 'fuel' those EVs.

Last edited:

Sponsored

AvalancheSVT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
About 60% of electrical generation in the USA in 2021 was fossil fueled. https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=427&t=3 but it is trending in the right direction per Tables 1.4 (2021) and 1.5 (2022) in https://www.publicpower.org/system/...ectricity_Generation_Capacity_2022_Update.pdf

It is even more dramatic when looking forward to plants under construction (Table 2.1) and so forth (permitted, planned, etc.)

So it becomes more and more a bogus argument about where electricity comes from as time passes on. In the meantime, more plants, almost exclusively coal, built more than 40+ years ago will be retired. Cleaner sources of electricity will be coming on to 'fuel' those EVs.
if any of this hysteria were real they'd be building nuclear power plants.

Ogopogo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Prem Vert, 2020 Mazda CX-5 GT Turb
if any of this hysteria were real they'd be building nuclear power plants.
There needs to be some public and political consensus on doing just that. Japan is finally going to re-start some of their reactors given they really don't have energy security without them.

Nightmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jens
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
Keep an eye on California. I bet they push legislation to ban classics or convert them to EV.

One 50s classic, pollutes more than 10 modern ICE's. I am confident they will try this among other things to get ICE off the street.
How many miles do these old cars go?
I think that is negligible, the 10 newer cars will still produce more "pollution" in total than an old one that is only taken out of the garage when the weather is nice to the nearest cafe.

I don't know how this would be handled in CA, but I think there are lobby groups for historic vehicles that might have influence in CA as well.

Here in my country, historic vehicles (older than 30 years) are exempt from all environmental restrictions in cities.
This is going to get interesting as more and more vehicles that are so called youngtimers (modern classics) fall more and more into this exception. The stock of these vehicles is much larger than that of "real" historic vehicles.

However, a lot can be done with turbo-charged 4/6 engines and they will still be around in some product lines well into the next decade. My current Mazda turbo-charged 2.5L is quite the beast actually and I have been impressed.
The offer of these "small" engines is very large here in Europe, the Mustang V8 is a not totally expensive exotic.
I don't like them and am glad to finally have a (for our standards here) large-volume V8.
Nobody likes modern downsized engines*, if they're honest, because they're complicated and prone to failure. (*performance based on displacement)

But those engines are going to be quiet, efficient, and numb to drive. I would honestly rather drive a electric car at that point.
That's what it looks like for me too!

Last edited:

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
Hello; Had Tucker Carlson on tonight. One segment was partly about EV's. Flashed a picture of a street in California with a row of parking spots dedicated for public EV charging. In the picture was a row of EV chargers. They were hard to pick out because the sidewalk was crammed full of homeless makeshift tents and such.
May have only been a quirk but not a single EV plugged in to be charged. After a few minutes I thought that i would not be comfortable waiting there for a charge.

Here is a thing. I am fine with folks such as you having an EV if such is what you want. Go for it. The mandates are what rub me wrong. The hybrids and early EV's barely made a dent on their own merits.
I don`t get caught up on the mandates. They are just targets that will get pushed back.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Its a mandate for sure. But its not set in stone and can be easily reversed.
I don't think so, the car companies are retooling and planing for this to happen. It's like a ship you can't just stop and turn it around.

junits15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Has nothing to do with the President, although it helps, but congress can reign in the EPA
This is no longer a political issue, it doesn't matter how lenient the rules get, the automakers themselves have decided they don't want to produce ICE cars any more.

Its not about regulations, its about money.

This is what I've been trying to say, there is no federal rule about banning ICE vehicles yet all of the big three have begun the transition to EV's.

They're here to stay and ICE vehicles are becoming obsolete, the evidence is there, the companies have began the transition, its over. I don't understand why this is some sort of loss, or sad thing, life changes all the time
Sponsored